Spring is here and we here at Open Air Life are excited to get out hiking. This guide is full of gear that will make your spring hiking a little bit better. We start this guide with some great shoes for our feet. After all our feet are what will carry us all those miles that we hike. We will also be putting out a shoe guide in the coming weeks of some of the new hiking shoes coming out spring 2012. We hope this guide will encourage and excite you to get out this spring and find a new hike.
Hi-Tec Sierra Lite I WP
The Sierra Lite Hiking boots are a great spring boot. They are both lightwieght and breathable, but also have the added benefit of being waterproof. Whether for a demanding day hike or a multi-day adventure, this ensure you and your feet can deal with the most strenuous requirements. These boots also have Hi-Tec's advanced technologies, including ion-mask™ waterproofing and Vibram® rubber soles for grip.
• Waterproof nubuck and mesh upper
• V-Lite design and build technology
• Ortholite footbed/midsole for all day comfort
• Vibram outsole for durability & traction
• Ion Mask Technology
• MSRP: $180
Ahnu Sequia Mid
A lightweight, mid-height hiker with a breathable mesh upper to keep you cool and comfortable on the trail. Support and stability from Ahnu's neutral positioning technology, Numentum™, ensures proper foot biomechanics with each step. A forefoot protection plate helps prevent bruising on rocky surfaces. The Vibram® outsole provides great traction on a variety of surfaces for under-foot security.
• Breathable mesh and Leather
• Double density compression molded EVA with medal and lateral stability postings and shock dispersal plate in forefoot
• 3.5 mm cross directional lugs
• Non marking Vibram rubber outsole
• Moisture wicking mesh
• Dual density EVA provides extra shock absorption with heel and arch support
• MSRP $120
• Women's Sizes 6-11
Darn Tough Vermont Micro Crew Cushion Hiking Socks
The Micro Crew Cushion Hike socks from Darn Tough Vermont are a tried and true veteran of the Vermont sockmakers' line. Proven by the world's most devoted thru-hikers and loved by all, even those who have no idea what a thru-hiker is. Whether getting the mail or making a push to the next waypoint, these socks will keep you trudging.
• Made in Vermont, USA
• Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life
• Highest Density Knitting in the Industry, 1441 stitches per square inch
• Fine-gauge Merino wool yarns (21.5 micron)
• Reinforced heel and toe pockets
• Elastic arch support for snug fit
• High density, no bulk terry loop cushioning
• Ribbed ankle support prevents slipping and bunching
• MSRP: $18
Lorpen Jr. Light Hiker Socks
Made just like the adult version, this is a great sock for kids who like to be in the outdoors and need more than just a cotton sock. The Jr. Light Hiker is a performance sock made of 38% Merino wool, 37% acrylic, 15% Nylon, and 10% Lycra. The additional cushioning will help your little hiker last longer on the trail and enjoy the day without blisters and wet feet. The Jr. Light Hiker sock is durable, comfortable and easy to wash.
• MSRP: $9.99
Hillsound Armadillo Gaiters
For the rugged everyday adventurer and weekend warrior who need comfortable, waterproof protection, the Armadillo Gaiter offers the lightweight security required to conquer the trails. The Flexia upper creates a form fit to hug your leg with no extra fabric to flap in the wind or snag in the brush. With a YKK zipper you’ll avoid messy debris from coming inside the gaiter and enjoy quick and easy on/off access. If you are a lady and bloack seems a bit boring, the makers of Hillsound have listened and made the women's style in a sexy yet still functional black and red.
• The 4-way stretch upper panel offers a close and natual form fit and eliminates need to readjust, pull-up or over tighten.
• PU coated Cordura 1000D as lower shell for formidable protection from cuts and abrasion.
• Replaceable polyurethane coated nylon instep strap.
• Padded waterproof zipper placket inside provides enhanced waterproofing and eliminates pressure points.
• MSRP: $65.00
The Piggyback Rider® is a mutually enjoyable, effortless way to carry a child (2½+ years) on your back. It
functions like a backpack, utilizing a shoulder-mounted foot-bar to distribute the child’s weight at your core, enabling a more natural and upright walking posture. The child stands safely on the wide textured foot-bar, holding integrated shoulder handles and secured to the adult by a safety harness. Built from industry leading climbing components and overengineered for safety, the Piggyback Rider® is unlike any kid carrier you’ve ever seen.
• Compact, durable and light weight
• Streamlined unisex design
• One size, fully adjustable
• Supports a child up to 60 lbs, 2½+ years
• Smallest child carrier backpack ever
• Integrated comfort and safety features
• Four secure hand holds
• Safety harness tethered to carrier (not shown)
• Padded shoulder straps with sternum strap
• MSRP: $79.95
Columbia Treadlite 22L
The Treadlite 22 daypack lets you come prepared, featuring 22 liters of storage space and the steel frame to support it. Omni-Shield® advanced repellency keeps the pack’s contents dry, while the all-new Backdraft™ Aerating Suspension utilizes lightweight frames with a tensioned backpanel to lift the pack’s load slightly off your back, allowing fresh air to pass through. The Treadlite’s Silverback™ reflective lining provides a bright interior so you can see your gear better for grabbing things on the fly. A large main opening includes inner bungee holds and mesh organization pockets to keep all your small items organized. An ergonomic hip belt takes the weight off your shoulders and features pockets on each side for energy bars and GPS units. Ample compression and stabilizing straps keep your load right where it should be.
• Fabric: 70D SilverBack™ nylon diamond ripstop, stretch woven, 150D SilverBack™ lining
• Omni-Shield advanced repellency
• Backdraft™ aerating suspension
• Techlite Velocity L.O.A.D. shoulder straps
• SilverBack reflective interior
• 3L hydration compatible
• Rugged Tarmaq® bottom
• Sternum strap with rescue whistle
• Steel frame
• Stretch woven front pocket and side water bottle pockets
• Trekking pole attachments
• Dimensions: M-L: 22” x 12” x 8”, S-M: 21” x 12” x 8”
• MSRP: $129.00
Gerber Steady Multitool
The Steady Tool is built for the weekend adventurer, it combines the utility of a multi-tool and the functionality of a tripod for compact digital cameras (up to 340 grams) and smart phones (up to 170 grams). It comes equipped with an adjustable cell phone and screw-in camera mount and two foldable legs that serve as a tripod. The rest of the tool is all Gerber ingenuity – a fine edge blade, a serrated blade, three screwdrivers, a bottle opener, pliers and wire cutters.
• 12 Components
• Tripod Functionality
• Camera/Cell Phone Mount
• Cell Phone Attachment
• Max Phone/Camera Weight: 170 grams/340 grams
• Fine Edge Blade
• Serrated Blade
• Micro Flat, Square Cross & Medium Flat Screwdrivers
• Bottle Opener
• Needlenose Pliers
• Wire Cutters
• Stainless Steel Components
• MSRP: $64
Our VS-1 is the multi-function outdoor watch that does it all and is now better than ever. The VS-1 is water-resistant to a depth of 50M/165FT and the virtually scratchproof sapphire crystal is standard. Easily and intuitively select from multiple modes on the new, hi-res dot-matrix display. The new user-change battery hatch permits you to change the battery yourself, quickly and easily.
• Altimeter (M. or FT.) w. recall
• Chronograph w. recall
• Ski mode
• Sail mode
• AM/PM or 24HR Time display
• Dual Alarms
• Dual Time Zones
• Temperature (°C or °F)
• ELD Backlit, Dot-Matrix display
• Ultra scratch-resistant Sapphire crystal
• MSRP: $255.00
The Corklite has the first grip designed from the ground up specifically for trekking and touring. An edgeless outer shape offers a variety of comfortable, secure gripping options. SpeedLock is a completely new system using unique design features to achieve the high locking force and adjustment security that is up to 10 times stronger than other external locks. The simple and easy to use mechanism adjusts quickly and securely even when wearing gloves or when used in rain, ice or snow. The Soft Antishock System - Lite (SAS-L) is integrated into the lower shaft of the pole, reducing the packing/swing size by 50mm. The optimized packing size increases your freedom of movement in trekking or when transporting your poles.
• AERGON Cor-Tec Grip
• Performance Basket
• Carbide Tip
• Ultra Sonic Finish
• Weight: 16.8 oz
• Length: 62-135 cm
• MSRP: $139.95
Montane's Trojan and Athena Jacket
A versatile rain shell designed for long distance treks in the mountains, but equally at home on summer Alpine climbs. Built to cope with the harshest of wet weather, the Trojan features a mountain hood and two large chest pockets for hands or gear. A great addition to anyone's spring arsonel of gear to take on any unexpected storms.
• Fabric: eVent® Super Lightweight 3 Layer
• Highly waterproof and exceptionally breathable eVent® Super Lightweight 3 Layer
• Microtaped seams throughout to increase breathable surface area
• Articulated arms for reach high movement and tailored specifically to reduce hem lift
• Fully adjustable helmet compatible mountain hood with three point adjustment and wired peak
• Internal tab to lock down and roll away the hood in windy conditions
• Two deep A-line hand pockets with YKK Aqua Guard zips positioned well clear of backpack or climbing harness belt
• Full length exposed YKK Aqua Guard front zip with internal storm flap and rain drain
• Adjustable cuffs with grab tabs for ease of use with gloves or mitts
• Adjustable hem to prevent spindrift entry and heat loss
• MSRP: $449.00
Rab Scimitar Jacket
The Scimitar Jacket is a Midweight Softshell Jacket made with Rab’s own brand Matrix DWS fabric. This fabric is a non-membrane, stretch double weave, soft shell fabric which is highly wind and weather resistant and for extra protection comes with a factory DWR treatment. The jacket has panels that are made of tougher fabric for abrasion resistance in areas of high-wear. It has a hood that is helmet compatible and adjustable cuffs. This is a great weight for an all-around soft shell jacket to take out in the spring all the way through to fall.
• Helmet compatible hood
• YKK 2-way front zip
• Internal storm flap
• Double exit hem drawcord
• 2 YKK zipped A-line chest pockets
• 1 YKK zipped Napoleon chest pocket
• Velcro® cuffs
• Medium cut
• MSRP: $175.00
Larabar Chocolate Chip Cherry Torte
The cherry didn’t fall far from the tree for Chocolate Chip Cherry Torte, whose inspiration (and name) came from a combination of Cherry Pie and Fair Trade Certified™ chocolate chips. With less than 200 calories and just 6 simple ingredients, this snack carries on a great family tradition of simple, indulgent flavors.
• MSRP: Box of 16 for $25.45
America Park Network Oh, Ranger! ParkFinder mobile app
The free Oh, Ranger! ParkFinder™ mobile app helps users find parks and outdoor adventure destinations near and far by searching for activities at more than 6,000 national parks, state parks and public lands nationwide. It allows users to search by current location or plug in any city or town and then returns public recreation lands within up to 250 miles. It's great for planning weekend getaway trips near home or for making game-time decisions during road trips and longer adventures. It's especially useful during road trips, since everyone needs a break from the car every once in a while, and getting outside in a nearby state or national park is a great way to get exercise and see something exciting. Many parks are free, and the ones that do charge admission are still a great value.
• MSRP: FREE