Now that the temperature has started to rise and the snow has mostly stopped, spring is a great time to get back on the bike and start riding it to work or to the store. The one thing about commuting to work is starting with the right gear to use. I have found that many people stop or just don't try because they get frustrated with what they are using to commute with. I am not saying you need to buy a new bike, but I am saying you might have to add some upgrades to your existing ride to make it more enjoyable and functional. We here at Open Air Life love riding our bikes and this guide is full of products that will help get you from point A to B with more functionality and less hassle. So dust off your bike and take it for a short spin, you will be glad you did.
For spring, Raleigh has a great new steel commuter/cyclocross bike called the Roper. They have dubbed it 'The Landlord Series.' These bikes are as awesome on the streets as they are on the dirt trail, complete with steel fenders, disc brakes, durable chromoly construction and beefy tires.
• Frame - Seamless Butted Chromoly, Integrated Headtube w/BB30
• Fork - 4130 Chromoly Cross w/Disc Tabs
• Front and rear Derail - Shimano 105
• Shifter - Shimano 105 10spd STI
• Brakes - Shimano R505 Disc, 160mm Rotors
• Gear - Shimano 105 (11-28t)
• Rims - Weinmann DP30 Double Wall
• Tires - Kenda K1083A Happy Medium 700cx32c
• Pedals - Road Pedals w/Clips and Straps
• Seat - Avenir Classic Road
• Hubset - (F) Joytech Alloy Disc QR 32h (R) Joytech Alloy Disc Cassette QR 32h
• MSRP: $1500.00
The PUBLIC C7 is an ultra affordable lightweight, easy-shifting, seven-speed bike designed for stop-and-go city riding. With its curved, open, step-through frame design, it is often referred to as a Dutch bike. But this classic European geometry is seen on the streets from Denmark to Italy and now more frequently in the US. It is especially well suited for those who wear skirts, carry extra weight on the rear rack, or prefer not to swing a leg over a typical frame crossbar. Old-school aesthetic charm with modern components. Reliable and utilitarian enough to be your everyday, rain or shine, commuter workhorse. Chic enough to turn heads on city streets. Also they make delivery and assembly easy for you, including their unique Ready to Ride option that allows anyone to assemble a PUBLIC bike at their home or office in minutes (tools included).
• Steel tubing and accurate frame geometry make for a softer ride than with other materials. Seats are designed for normal clothing.
• Upright handlebars keep you looking forward, not down. They're also kinder to your back.
• Kickstands so you don't have to prop your bike up against a lamppost. And chain guards to keep grease off your fresh, clean clothes.
• The Shimano 7-speed rear derailleur and Revo twist shifter brings state-of-the-art technology to the shifting system. Changing gears is done with a simple twist of the wrist.
• Alloy brakes combine with lightweight alloy rims with machined brake surfaces for quick, safe and controlled stops.
• 35 MM tires are wide enough to handle curbs and potholes but narrow enough for speed.
• Reinforced resin pedals designed wide enough to ride with boots, pumps, flip-flops, or anything in between.
• The hi-tensile steel frame is guaranteed for life.
• Alloy full fender
• MSRP: $595.00
Nutcase Urban Caution
Each helmet features an injection-molded ABS shell, expanded Polystyrene (EPS) protective inner foam for high impact protection, multiple exhaust vents, an adjustable spin dial to create a perfect fit, three sets of removable low-density polyurethane foam insert liners to personalize the helmet to perfectly fit your head, an anti-pinch, magnetic buckle for easy, one-handed operation, reflective logos on the front, back and sides, rust proof rivets and a soft fabric chin strap.
• Injection-molded ABS shell
• Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) protective inner foam for high impact protection
• 2 front intake vents
• 7 multiple top-mounted exhaust vents, and 2 rear exhaust vents
• Adjustable Spin Dial allows for perfect fit
• Three sets of removable low-density polyurethane foam insert liners for comfort & refined fit
• Anti-Pinch, Magnetic Buckle for easy, one-handed operation
• Reflective logos front, back & sides
• Rust proof rivets with Nutcase helmet guy logo
• Soft fabric chin strap for maximum comfort
• Certified CPSC for Bicycle Riding
• MSRP: $60..00
Continental Tires TopContact II
For 2012 Continental improved on the TopContact even further: The tire for city and trekking cyclists, shows off a newly reworked proﬁle. Thanks to a distinct centre tread and bionically designed laminated shoulders it guarantees excellent riding properties on all sorts of surfaces. The new, further developed tread is super-fast, at the same time has a good grip and is hard wearing. Due to its foldable version it has become even lighter and is ﬁtted more easily. What remains is the ﬁne, cut-proven nylon carcass, the almost impenetrable Vectran™ Breaker and the great German handicraft.
• 3 plies / total 180 tpi / Vectran Breaker
• MSRP: $59.95
Planet Bike Grasshopper Bamboo Fenders
Planet Bike created the Grasshopper Bamboo fenders with 3 ply laminate construction of fast growing Moso Bamboo and tops it off with a marine grade top coat finish. The Grasshopper Bamboo Fenders come with hardware that is pre-installed for hassle-free mounting. Also by using Moso Bamboo these fenders make your bicycle adventures even more sustainable.
• Durable marine grade top coat finish and 3 ply Bamboo laminate construction
• Hardware is all stainless-steel and pre-installed for hassle-free mounting
• V-stays on the front and rear fender for added stability
• Meets EN test standards
• Release Tabs on front fender
• 45mm width
• Fits tires up to 27"x1 1/4" or 700cx35mm
• MSRP: $134.99
Racktime Tourit Shine - with integrated rearlight
Racktime has integrated a rear light with their TOURit rack to make it a even better rack for commuting. For the new TOURit Shine, Busch & Müller has miniaturized its latest lighting-innovation, the Linetech-technology, for Racktime. It is integrated robustly in the TOURit making it impact resistant, tumble proof and shining bright. The TOURit Shine can be used universally and carries up to 30 kg. In addition to all the SNAPit components the TOURit could also bear side panniers for longer bicycle tours.
• The TOURit Shine fits wheel sizes of 26" or 28".
• Unisize: 26" / 28"
• Weight: ca. 790 g (plus assembly parts ca. 142 g)
• Max load: 30 kg
• Integrated Busch & Müller rearlight with Linetech-technology - designed by Racktime, extra lower rail for panniers,
• Integrated pumpholder, rearlight protected with plate-casing.
• Fully compatible with all Snapit components!
• Carries most standard panniers!
• Options: various accessories such as spring clamp, bags, tension belt, baskets
Donkey Boxx is a high utility low cost bicycle pannier that easily attaches to your bike's rack for everyday cycling errands and special needs that you find fit. The lightweight 80% recycled corrugated plastic box-like construction allows for durability and use in wet weather. The broad flat outside surface provides for each rider's unique personalization. Each Donkey Boxx contains a kit with two reflective stickers, a Velcro closure for the lid and wire ties for mounting. Made in America.
• Water Resistant
• Crush Resistant
• Made in America
• Light Weight
• Reflects Sunlight
• Reflective Stickers
• Easy to Clean
• Color - Natural/Translucent
• Material - 3-Ply Corrugated Plastic
• Volume - 1120 cu. in / 1.83 liters / 4.2 US gal dry
• Weight - 14oz / 397g
• Mount Hardware - Zip/Wire Ties
• Lid Fastener - Hook 'n Loop
• MSRP: $28.00
Timbuk2 Especial Tres
The Especial Tres is a rolltop backpack that has a ventilated back panel that keeps you nice and cool, even on the hills. This bag can expand and compress in order to handle anything you pile in. And with a welded laptop pocket and waterproof zip, you're in no danger frying your motherboard. With multiple quick access pockets on both front and back and a U lock holster which can double as a water bottle pocket, this bag will impress.
• Air jet textured 500d CORDURA® Classic fabric for stylish durability and exceptional strength-to-weight ratio, offers resistance to tears, scuffs and abrasions, and is specially treated for stain resistance and easy clean properties
• Backbender flexible cooling panel
• Comfort backpack straps
• Waterproof Laptop Pocket: Internal welded pocket fits laptops up to 15 inches
• Rolltop and swing around side access to the main body of the bag
• Highly water resistant design including a zipper cover
• Compression-straps offer flexibility to compress or expand your load: e.g. wheels, skateboards and odd packages.
• Multiple quick access pockets on both front and back
• U lock holster which can double as a water bottle pocket
• Sternum strap and detachable waist strap
• MSRP: $209
PoCampo Logan Tote
Whether you are meeting for brunch in Logan Square or just strolling down the Boulevard, this classy yet spacious vegan tote has room to fit everything you need. Sized for an iPad, the tote has tons of pockets for keeping the essentials handy while on the go.
• CONNECT™ attachments
• Weather resistant zipper and fabrics
• Reflective details
• Detachable, adjustable shoulder strap
• Side bottle pockets
• Vegan design
• Size: W 13” x H 7” x D 9”
• MSRP: $98
OTIGEAR Ridge Genova Plaid
OTIGEAR provides men a multifunctional, comfortable, stylish option to simplify life through features such as creative pocket orientation, 70/28 Cotton/Poly Blend with 2% Spandex Stretch, and Modern Fit. OTIGEAR was created after the founder was frustrated with not finding clothing that was designed to fit the active lifestyle. “I have been searching for clothing that fits life…heading to the office, catching a flight, and dining with friends at the end of the day. Frustrated with what I found, I created the first line of crossover apparel,” said Oti Shor, OTIGEAR Founder and Chief Crossover Officer, “OTIGEAR flawlessly fuses fashion, fit, and function into a fluid form. It looks good, feels comfortable, and conveniently holds the stuff we can’t live without as we crossover from Work, Play, and Relax.” The Ridge Genova Plaid is a short sleeve, button front shirt with unique double entry chest pockets/button closure.
• Modern Cut
• 8 Button Placket
• Button Collar
• 8 pockets total
• Tuck in or Out
• MSRP: $60.00
Five Ten Spitfire Low
The Spitfire Low will quickly become your go to shoe. Designed for pavement, dirt or board, slackline and BMX tricks, the Spitfire has a one-piece molded Stealth® outsole that provides ultimate traction on all surfaces. The upper is high quality split-grain leather with reinforced double stitching. It looks good enough that you could wear it to the office and not be scoffed at because you are wearing you biking shoes.
• MSRP: $109.95
Abus Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500
Do you work in a rough neighborhood or just have a nice bike that you don’t want stolen? If so the Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500 is for you. This lock was built for areas of high theft risk. The technology behind this lock is 5.5 mm steel bars with extra soft 2-components coating to prevent damage to the bicycle‘s paintwork and a color-matching silicone cover for the lock body with “soft touch“ properties. With link construction for compact folding and a key with an LED light on it for night time visibility, the Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500 is an all-inclusive bike lock.
• ABUS Link-Protection-Shield offers high saw protection of the links
• The bars, the links, the case as well as supporting elements of the locking system are made of special hardened steel
• ABUS X-Plus cylinder for extremely high protection against manipulation, e.g. picking
• Two keys are supplied with the lock, one LED-lighted
• ABUS Code Card for additional or replacement key
Mirrycle Incredibell Bellini Bike Bell
Don't be fooled by its little size. The mirrycle Bellini is one of the smallest bells around, but it resinates. It has the same rotating dinger as the Original Incredibell. It comes in 3 colors and they do sound different. Check out their website to get a feel of what this little bell sounds like.
• Color: Black, Silver & Brass
• Weight: Black & Silver 17g, Brass 28g
• Dome Diameter: 28mm (1.1")
• Fits handlebars with 21mm - 22.6mm
• (.83" - .89") outside diameters.
• MSRP: Black & Silver $11.00, Brass $12.00
Whether you’re an urban commuter or a weekend rural rider, the Urbie is the mirror for bikes with flat handlebars. Urbie’s mirror is both versatile and durable: just turn the top thumbscrew and the fully adjustable mirror can be quickly flipped down and secured. Urbie comes fully assembled and the bottom thumb-screw allows for an easy, one minute, tool-free installation – turn & go!
• Stable & adjustable
• Flips down and out of the way
• Durable with stainless steel hardware
• Ideal for traditional & upright positions
• MSRP: $25.00
Ergon PC2 Pedal
Ergon introduces their PC2 flat pedal to provide an ergonomic and positive connection between bike and user. The first pedal designed with biomechanics and correct foot position in mind. Advantages are increased power transfer, more control and fewer hot spots and knee complaints. The Ergon PC2 is the first non SPD-type pedal constructed with the ergonomic biomechanical demands of the user as a priority.
• PC2 (Small) - width: 3.89 inch/ length: 4.88 inch
• PC2 (Large) - width: 4.25 inch/ length: 5.39 inch
• MSRP: $79.95