I think as runners we have all been running down the street, relaxed in the groove and all of a sudden out of nowhere, you have that four legged (they say man’s best friend) dog on your heels. Man what a way to interrupted your rhythm and shoot your heart rate through the roof. Not that we don't run to get our heart rate up, I just perfer it to be me doing it to myself and not because I am running for my life. Here are some do and do not’s when running in them dog infested neighborhoods.
- Stand your ground
- Stay relaxed and try not to show the dog your fear
- Talk to the dog. Speak in a deep firm voice.
- Tell him what you want and expect from him. Tell him to go home.
- Don’t run, it will only trigger the dogs instinct. Chase its prey.
- Don’t make direct eye contact. The dog will fill threatened and might be more aggressive