The inside outside look into socks. There are many different types of socks; different thicknesses, sizes and materials. The most important difference to me is the material that a sock is made of. I think you should stay away from 100% cotton. Cotton will not wick the moisture away from the feet like other materials will. I have enjoyed socks that are a blend of natural and synthetic materials. One of my favorite is made out of bamboo, crazy to think that socks can be made out of bamboo.
Polyester and acrylic socks make a good choice, they have great wicking proporties. Wool is also another great option and is my pick during my winter runs. I also like a thicker sock for some added cushioning. Most running or outdoor stores will carry a few of these different socks. One thing that you will find, is that these sock will set you back a few more dollars than a cotton sock. But it is worth every penny to spend a little more on your feet. There are so many different kinds of socks that a guy could look all day long. But I will give a short run down of a few of the available running socks.
Darn Tough Vermont Merino Wool 1/4 Sock Mesh
- Open mesh knitting on the top of foot.
- Reinforced heel and toe.
- Elastic support around the arch.
- Content: 68% Merino Wool, 28% Nylon, 4% Lycra® Spandex
Smartwool Men PhD Running Light Micro Sock
- Micro height, 4 degree banded fit system for performance fit, Duroyan reinforcement for added comfort and durability
- Light half-cushioned, WOW technology for high density impact zones to reduce shock and abrasion, Versatile outdoor sock
- Strategic mesh zones for maximum ventilation, Smartwool appears on bottom of sock
- Smartwool inside for moisture, temperature and odor control
- Padded achilles tab for protection and secure fit
- Content: 74% Wool, 23% Nylon and 3% Elastic
Thorlo Men's Lite Running Micro-Mini with Coolmax Sock
- Exclusive THOR•LON® construction wicks moisture better.
- Thick cushioning for maximum blister, shear and impact protection.
- Cushioning over the toes to prevent runner's toe.
- Flat knit at instep; thin cushion in arch for better fit and support.
- Content: 70% CoolMax©, 27% nylon 3% spandex.
Teko Men's Tekomerino Light Minicrew Socks
- Organic, chlorine-free tekoMERINO wool wicks moisture.
- Seamless toes, arch brace, articulated Y-heel
- Strike-zone cushioning in footbed
- Comfort-stretch zones
- Content: 58% tekoMERINO Organic Wool, 20% tekoPOLY Recycled Polyester, 19% Nylon, 3% Lycra
Feetures! Pure Comfort Ultra Light Low Cut
- Thin flat knit construction takes up minimal room in the shoe.
- The PerfectToe (No irritating toe seam.)
- SnugFit Technology
- Durasoft, a blend of SuperSoft Merino wool and rayon from bamboo, wicks away moisture and naturally eliminates odor to provide unsurpassed comfort.
- Graduated compression in crew top keeps sock in place and aids in circulation.
- 35% Rayon from Bamboo, 34% Merino Wool, 21% Nylon,6% Polyester, 4% Lycra Spandex
These are just some suggestions. Go in and try them on, see which one fits you best. Thanks for reading. Bryan