The Outdoor Retailer show has always delivered an abundance of new and exciting gear, this show was no different. Over the next few days I will be posting articles that contain some of our favorite picks from the Winter OR Show. Most of this gear is not out yet and will be coming out in Fall 2011. I will try to put the availability of each product so you can put it on your calendar. I will aslo be following up some of the products with full featured gear reviews of how each product preforms.
First is a new line of knives from Wenger, the Titanium Line. In the picture above you can see the Ueli Steck climber’s knife is one of three knives in the line. These knives are a multi-functional tool built for climbers, hikers and backcountry skiers.
Features of the Ueli Steck Special Edition knife:
- Lightweight corrosion-resistant titanium handles with unique striation grip;
- Partially serrated blade with two cutting options and a 14mm flat screwdriver;
- Designed for single hand opening with secure safety lock;
- Hexagonal keys (7mm, 10mm, 13mm) to match M4, M6 and M8 bolts or nuts;
- Integrated ¼ inch hexagonal bit adapter in handle (Phillips #3 and flat screwdriver 0.6x4.5mm bits provided);
- “Ueli Steck” branding on handle;
- Weighs 100 grams;
- Combination metal saw and file
- Can opener, combination locking screwdriver, cap lifter and wire bender;
- Lightweight pouch for knife and three bits (comes with 2);
- 16 Functions
- MSRP: $200
- Availability: Spring 2011
Hydro Flask is still creating great products. With the addition of another bottle they have also introduced a filtration system. You will be able to get great tasting filtered water from any tap and reduce the use of disposable plastic bottles. The nice thing about this product is that the filter is added to their double-wall vacuum insulated bottle to keep that water cold for hours. The bottles are also 100% BPA free. Another great thing about this company is that 5% of gross revenues are given to charity. This is done by a volunteer-based organization developed by Hydro Flask: FivePercentBack.org.
Available: Spring 2011
Easton Mountain Products come up with a solution for snowshoe racers called the Vo2 Racing Snowshoe. This is a lightweight design that eliminates the bulky binding system and is replaced by connecting your favorite shoe or boot directly to the snowshoe. This snowshoe still has all the technology that other Easton snowshoes have but is designed with the snowshoe racer in mind.
- Pivot: Virtual Pivot Traction Cam
- Frame: Ergonomic Asymmetrical
- Crampons: Forged Aluminum
- Binding: Direct-Connect
- Direct Connect Mounting System
- Split-Axis Forged Aluminum Crampon
- Two-piece Articulating Frame
- 7075 Aerospace Aluminum
- 3000-Weave Carbon Fiber Decking
- Over-Mold Reinforcements
- Ergonomic Asymmetrical Shape
- Meets all USSA Racing Requirements
- Weight: 1.2 lbs/each
- Suggested Maximum User Weight: 180 lbs
- MSRP: $299
- Available: Fall 2011
Stanley continues to make innovative products to carry liquids. The Nineteen13 series has three new bottles. The one I found most interesting is the Two Cup Vacuum Bottle. The bottle has a vacuum insulation that will keep liquids hot for 6 hours and a dual cup lid that separates to two cups for sharing your beverage.
Features and Benefits:
Vacuum Insulation. Keeps liquids at full steam for 6 hours.
Double wall stainless steel. Survives any mission.
Folding finger loop. Easy to grab. Easy to stow.
Leak-proof stopper. Locks it in.
Dual cup lid. Separates for romancing or bro-mancing.
Available Spring 2011 at outdoor retailers and online at www.stanley-pmi.com.
Eagle Creek created a new travel series with the day travelers in mind. It is called Day Travelers and will be out in Fall 2011. The travel brand launches both men’s and women’s specific solutions for daily travel with seriously functional features.
The Women’s Signature Day Travelers™ are stylish with classic silhouettes and refined clean designs. Custom hardware, luxurious color-coordinated linings and trims make the collection versatile, upscale and practical. Features like the reflective accents for nighttime visibility, Secure-Zip™ toggle closures to protect bag contents, and laptop/tablet compatibility make these bags ideal travel solutions. The Signature collection includes seven new women’s solutions with MSRP’s ranging from $38 - $145.
Availability: July 2011
MAKO Bike Tool
This little tool packs a lot of functionality into a little tool. Not only is it extremely light weight and compact but can be fully customized to best suit your bike. This tool would be perfect for those quick rides and commuting where lugging around a bulky tool set just isn’t fun or appropriate.
- 6AL-4V Titanium 0.125" Thick
- Overall Size: 3.5" X 1.2"
- Frame Weight: 19 grams (0.7 oz.)
- Weight w/ bits: 45 grams (1.6 oz.)
- Smooth stone-washed finish
- Neoprene Bit Holders
- Included 1/4 Hex Bits: Torx T25, Phillips, 5mm Allen & 6mm Allen
- Box Wrenches: 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 15mm, & 16mm
- Bottle Opener
- 14G & 15G Spoke Wrenches
- High-visibility reflective lanyard
- Available: Now
The MAKO Bike Tool includes 4 of the most common bit sizes. These can be swapped out by the customer for the sizes that best fit their bike.
A new company name Toughstake has designed a new tent stake that will hold 10x better than a traditional top anchored stake in sand and snow. The design of this stake is that the anchor pulls from the bottom of the stake using the sand or snow as weight to hold the stake in. The stakes are lightweight made out of aircraft aluminum and they stack together to lay flat. I received a couple of these at the show, so look forward to reading the full gear review soon.
Available: Winter 2011
Boreas is a new pack company that is looking into changing how packs are designs. The have a more open philosophy to the design process. They have 4 packs that should be hitting the market in the fall. The Buttermilks Series is the one that I was most impressed with. It is the black and blue pack on the right side of the picture below. This pack feels good and would be a great pack for 2-3 days or climbing.The packs have a slim design and don't have a bunch of unneeded pockets.
- 140D Hyperlight Nylon Ripstop w/ UTS
- Top load
- Front and side mesh pockets
- Dual daisy chain/tool loops
- Molded foam ventilated back panel
- Removable frame sheet
- Available: Fall 2011
Men’s M/L – Women’s S/M
Target price: $169.99
Target price: $149.99
Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO) has been known for year for their hammocks and now they have added a slackline to their collection of products. The Slackwire is a 50 foot slackline, made of 2” nylon webbing, and it comes in its own nylon carrying bag. It can be set up and taken down in minutes.
Next article I will be covering footwear from the show. There is a lot of new and exciting products coming out for our feet. Stay tuned.