As a mother of two young children who loves the outdoors, I try to get out for a hike any time I can. My husband has usually been the pack goat for our oldest son, and I have been able to pack my daughter on numerous hikes. This past year, my daughter has grown out of her baby pack. We tried putting her in the larger pack and letting my son hike up the mountain. Needless to say there was a lot of complaining on that “long” 1-mile hike.
We tried several different methods of carrying the children and finally decided that we would like to find another child carrier to use until our oldest was really old enough to move along the trail for the entire hike.
I tried on the larger child carrier my husband was using and HATED it! It was so heavy without a child, and the child sat so far away from me that it felt like they were going to pull me over backwards. We went to our local outdoor retailer and tried on several different types of packs, all had the same feel. Way too top heavy and bulky for what I wanted. We needed a transition pack, where the child’s weight would sit nicely on my hips and not pull me over with their weight.
We had heard rumor that the ERGObaby packs were coming out for the outdoor enthusiasts too. We had heard great things about them and thought we would give them a try. The moment I put one on, I was in heaven! This was the answer to our problem, and many more problems for that matter. The ergo baby pack was originally designed for babywearing. You can learn more about babywearing on ergobaby.com, but one thing that Karen Frost, one of the main designers of the carrier said is that, “babywearing has always made it safe and easy for mothers to stay productive while tending to the needs of their babies.” So not only did I find a good hiking pack for my little one, but I have used it to go to the mall, to the park, and several other places.
I have the organic ERGObaby carrier. The only down side my daughter and I felt while hiking was the pack was not very breathable. They have come out with two new types of carriers since that have addressed this issue. One is a performance carrier, and they have had a sport carrier. They have great accessories for you and your child too. Check them out at ergobaby.com
Here are a few specs for the organic ERGObaby carrier. This is the one I have. Check the site for the performance carrier, coming out soon!
Made of Organic cotton twill, for a more elegant look and feel. This Organic carrier features our popular Cranberry exterior, and a beige lining decorated with our ERGObaby signature nautilus print; a sublime spiral design reminiscent of ocean waves and sea shells.
- With separate Infant Insert, the all-in-one carrier that can be used for all your babywearing years
- Allows parents to maintain closeness with baby while attending to daily activities
- May be worn in front, back and hip positions
- Comfortable for parent; balances baby's weight to parents' hips and shoulders
- Supports correct sitting position for baby's hip, pelvis, and spine growth
- Soft, smooth feel for baby
- Ensured safety and security for baby
- Increased durability and longevity of carrier
- Maximum durability and fit
- Ergonomic design
- Fits most adult body types, from 5' to 6'5"
- Carries babies from infancy (with Infant Insert) to 40lbs.
- Organic cotton - good for baby and good for the earth!