Fall is coming to an end and winter is quickly approaching. Having the right jacket is key to having a good time in the outdoors. No one likes to be cold or wet when playing outside, and we tried to find jacket to solve that problem. Some of the jackets will keep you dry, others toasty warm, and a few will do both. So read on and let us know if you have some favorites for your winter activities.
Flylow Betty Down
This jacket has climbed quickly to the top of my wife’s favorite jackets. She will put this jacket on and just wear it around the house at times. An all-purpose goose down (700 fill) jacket that is light, packable and warm. The Betty Down is not a huge bulky down jacket but it fits more like a hoody, so you can bring it everywhere. It comes with six-inch zips in case you're still cold, but want a little ventilation. Wear it under a hardshell while skiing or just around town but itself. This is a jacket that you will want to take a look at.
• Intuitive™ Fabrics
• Wind and water resistant
• Level 5 Dupont DWR (Durable, Water Repellent)
• 3 pockets
• Baffled two-layer construction
• Helmet compatible hood
• 6-inch underarm vents
• Powder guard snaps
• YKK coil zippers
• MSRP: $235.00
Hi-Tec Timaru Down Hoodie
In 1978, Hi‐Tec redefined the hiking category by introducing its Sierra Lite Hiker. In 2008, Hi-Tec was the first footwear company to utilize ionmask ™ liquid repellancy technology in its designs. And in 2012, Hi-Tec will be the first company to introduce Color-Tec, a dyed down proprietary technology, in its apparel. In addition to its eye-catching appeal, dying the individual pieces of down increases the loft of the down and doesn’t affect the requisite oils needed for healthy down. The Timaru Down Hoodie utilizes a transparent shell, this insulated technology showcases colored down in a stylish 700-fill power down jacket for women.
• 15D nylon mini rip, silicon coated transparent fabric shell and lining
• 700 fill power down insulation-colored down is visible through transparent shell
• Two zippered handwarmer pockets
• Single-hand drawcord adjustable hem
• MSRP: $189.95
Sierra Designs Tov jacket with DriDown
For all the warmth of a puffy down jacket with the superior performance of DriDown™, check out the Sierra Designs Tov belay jacket. Insulated with 600 fill DriDown™ hydrophobic down insulation and equipped with a hung liner, the Tov takes the chill out of all but the coldest days. A helmet compatible, elasticized hood and elasticized cuffs with thumb holes add extra warmth. Two hand pockets and two interior pockets keep the essentials organized.
• 2 Zipper Hand Pockets
• 1 Interior Dump Pocket
• 1 Interior Zip Pocket
• Fitted, Adjustable Elasticized Hood
• Elasticized Cuff with Thumbhole
• Hung Lining for Warmth
• Includes Stuff Sack
• MSRP: $259.00
Mountain Hardwear Don’t Slow Down Jacket
A down jacket with total waterproofing is hard to find. Get all the warmth with no sacrifice in protection—Dry.Q™ technology blocks out rain, snow and wind while high-quality, 650-fill goose down provides the warmth. Tons of external and interior storage options, including a convenient pass pocket on the sleeve.
• Attached, adjustable, helmet compatible hood
• Pit zips for additional ventilation
• Attached, adjustable stretch powder skirt
• Plenty of interior pockets for all your gear
• Soft, "Butter Jersey" cuffs
• One-handed hood and hem drawcords for quick adjustments
• Zip handwarmer pockets
• Micro-Chamois™-lined chin guard eliminates zipper chafe
• MSRP: $400.00
Made using lightweight Polartec® NeoShell®, the 12oz women's Fuse jacket is the lightest Polartec® NeoShell® jackets on the market. The weight savings is achieved through surgically precise design, specifically regarding a narrower, more efficient use of seam tape. Soft and light, the Fuse provides no-compromise wind and water protection with stretch comfort and breathability in simple designs. And while the jacket is destined to be Gear of the Year, the truly revolutionary part is that it went from a twinkle in the designer's eye to retail shelves in less than 90 days, an accomplishment that is only possible because of their 100% made in North America factory.
• Attached helmet compatible hood.
• High collar with velour lining.
• Adjustible waist system.
• 2 zippered hand pockets.
• Velcro cuff tabs.
• 2 way YKK Aquaguard centre zipper.
• MSRP: $430.00
ISIS Velocity Jacket
Perfect for any cool weather aerobic activity where moisture management is a must, the fully waterproof, highly breathable Velocity Jacket from ISIS sets the standard for performance. Made with the fully waterproof and highly breathable Cocona fabric, the Velocity jacket stretches, breathes and moves with you just like a softshell without the stiff feel of a hardshell. Reflective details add night visibility while two front pockets and one back pocket give options for stowing the essentials. The Velocity will quickly become a favorite for XC skiing, cycling, and running in less than perfect weather.
• Cocona® Technology enhances moisture transfer - MTVR 40,000 g/m2
• Raglan sleeves offer full range of motion
• Hem drawcord cinches through pocket
• 2.25 inch stand up collar
• Reflective detailing offers night visibility - zippers, piping
• Water resistant zippers
• 2 front zippered, mesh hand pockets
• 1 zippered back pocket
• Body length: 26 inches
• MSRP: $149.00
Pearl Izumi Infinity Softshell Jacket
Offering a combination of thermal warmth and softshell barrier protection, this jacket will withstand windy, rainy conditions without sacrificing flattering shape and fit. The Women’s Infinity Softshell Jacket features a lightweight breathable, waterproof and windproof softshell fabric with a brushed back Thermal Fleece, ideal for cold, damp winter runs.
• ELITE Softshell Lite fabric front panels and back panels feature a breathable, waterproof and windproof laminate
• ELITE Thermal Fleece fabric side panels provide superior moisture transfer and warmth
• Full length internal draft flap with zipper garage seals in warmth
• Internal fist mitt seals in warmth
• Two zippered hand pockets
• Welded zippered arm pocket with headphone cord hole
• Reflective piping and reflective elements for low–light visibility
• MSRP $150
Stonewear Designs Pica Jacket:
Do you hate going out in the cold? Cold winter days won’t deter you from a morning walk ever again once you’ve tried the Pika Jacket. Like your favorite blanket, the thick cozy fleece will envelop you in warmth, but the sleek styling won’t bog you down. A stand-up collar and extra length makes sure you’re covered from neck to below-the-hip. Deep, slit pockets along front princess seams hold your keys, cards, and cell phone. Contrasting zipper color adds a unique touch to your new favorite fleece.
• Fleece: 100% polyester.
• Available in black with jadite zipper, mandarin with pomegranate zipper and snow with mink zipper.
• MSRP: $115.00
Icebreaker Arctic Hood
The Arctic Hood is part of the new Realfleece Nano collection. Realfleece Nano has the same look, feel and breathability as other Icebreaker Realfleece garments except for one added benefit. An ecologically clean textile finish has been used to treat the merino so that it is water resistant. So water or liquid substances (oil, mud etc.) simply run off the surface.
• Anatomically shaped cuffs to keep hands warm,
• Vislon zip for ease of use and smooth running
• Chest pocket with key hole for media
• Side underarm and back panels in GT Terry 360 to provide stretch for ease of movement and to help breathability and cooling.
• MSRP: $270.00