Using multiple types of fabrics on one garment has continued to grow among many outdoor companies. Patagonia is one of the companies benefiting from producing great pieces using this method. Patagonia has put some serious thought into this jacket. By using two types of material you get a wider range of functionality out of a given garment. The Nano Puff Hybrid Jacket is the perfect jacket for warmer winter days by itself or used as a layering piece when the temperature drops.
Two important functions of this jacket are the ability to keep you warm even when wet and the other is to provide enough breathability or venting to keep you from overheating. These two functions are done by using the two fabrics. First the Nano Puff insulation covers the top of the jacket. The PrimaLoft ONE synthetic insulation (60-g) with a recycled polyester shell in the upper torso and upper arms concentrates warmth in crucial areas. Second the R2 fleece vents the midsection, underarm panels and back when activity level rise and overheating is a concern.
The R2 fleece has a stretchy feel which is nice when wearing this jacket during most outdoor activities. I found this jacket to be a great blend of warmth and functionality. I did find though if the temperature dropped below 40 this jacket was not enough by itself, but would work great as a layering piece under a hard shell. It has two chest pockets that are accessible when wearing a harness. One down side for me when wearing the jacket just around town was the lack of pockets for my hands.
Patagonia has used DWR on the jacket to help repel water and snow. This jacket is a great piece to add to your arsenal of cool weather jackets. It packs small so it is a great piece to throw in your pack for layering on cooler days. It was also one of our picks in our Fall/Winter 2012 Jackets. It is definitely worth looking into this jacket.
• Lightweight recycled polyester ripstop shell with a Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish protects; 60-g PrimaLoft ONE keeps you warm; Polartec Thermal Pro vents excess heat to keep the body temperature perfectly regulated
• Microfleece-lined neck and chin for comfort
• Full-length, reverse-coil front zipper treated with a Deluge DWR finish; backed with a low-bulk wind flap
• Pockets: Two napoleon chest pockets are harness and pack compatible
• Unique quilt pattern holds insulation in place, which provides excellent warmth and compressibility
• Polartec R2 fleece has exceptional warmth-to-weight ratio, and is compressible and breathable with stretch in critical areas
• 360 g (12.7 oz)
• Recycled Polyester - We recycle used soda bottles, unusable second quality fabrics and worn out garments into polyester fibers to produce many of our clothes.
• MSRP: $249.00