Spring has arrived and it is time to dust off your hiking boots and get out and enjoy the spring weather. We have compiled some of our favorite hiking gear for spring. This guide focuses on gear for men's but ladies don't think we forgot about you. Our next guide is full of great products for women.
Men's Insect Blocker Plaid Long Sleeve Shirt
Having the right clothing can make or break a great day hiking. This versatile plaid button up has many features that will make your hiking day enjoyable. Insect Blocker® technology wards off bugs, UPF 30 shields you from harsh UV rays, and Omni-Wick® advanced evaporation keeps you cool and dry during dynamic activity. The sleeve can be rolled up while hiking and rolled down when the temperature starts to drop. A great piece to take on any spring hike.
• Insect Blocker technology uses naturally occurring chemicals to ward off biting insects
• Omni-Wick technology actively breathes and pulls sweat away from your body to keep you dry and cool
• Omni-Shade UPF 30 provides premium protection from the sun
• Pocket with hook and loop closure
• Mesh pocket bags
• Rollup sleeves with tab holders
• Sun protection collar
• Fabric: Omni-Wick, Omni-Shade 57% polyester/43% Supplex nylon Insect Blocker plain weave
• MSRP: $85.00
L.L.Bean Cresta Hiking Pants:
A great shirt deserves a great pair of pants to go with it. These hiking pants breathe well, dry quickly, protect you from the sun and allow you to move freely. They're made of a lightweight, trail-ready nylon fabric that wicks moisture, has built-in UPF 40+ protection and features two-way vertical stretch for freedom of movement. They're also abrasion resistant – withstanding industry lab-test standards for extreme wear and tear. Articulated knees and a gusseted crotch add to the comfort. Two low-profile zippered cargo pockets and back zippered pockets offer secure storage.
• Lightweight nylon fabric wicks moisture, dries quickly and stands up to "extreme wear and tear"
• Built-in UPF 40+ sun protection blocks harmful rays
• Two-way vertical stretch and articulated knees allow excellent range of motion
• Standard Fit sits slightly below the natural waist and is straight through the hips and thighs
• MSRP: $64.00
Rab Zephyr Jacket
Spring can be an unpredictable time of year and having a jacket can make the difference between hiking home freezing or staying out a little longer. The Zephyr Jacket is a lightweight stretch jacket designed to offer protection from the sun and the elements when in the mountains. Following the success of the Boreas Pull-on, the Zephyr jacket uses the same Matrix SWS in the main body, but adds Matrix DWS to the shoulders and outer arms for extra durability. It has been designed to offer fantastic sun protection and some wind resistance but not at the expense of breathability. The high wicking, quick drying nature of the fabric makes the Zephyr a fantastic mid layer for both warm and cold conditions.
• Matrix SWS fabric
• Matrix DWS in shoulder and upper sleeve
• Polygiene® STAY FRESH odour control treatment • Under helmet hood
• YKK front zip, internal storm flap, chin guard
• 2 YKK zipped A-line handwarmer pockets
• Thumb loops
• Weight: 12 oz.
• Oeko Tex certified
• Polygiene Treatment
• UPF: 50+
• Bluesign certified
Thorlos Clinically-Tested PaddedSocks
These socks have been designed for feet that hurt. Specifically engineered to deliver maximum protection and comfort for men prone to blisters, foot pain, or discomfort. Now you don't have any excuse not get out and enjoy a good hike in the mountains.
• Constructed with THORLON® blended with COOLMAX® fibers for superior softness, resilience, durability and extra moisture-wicking for drier, cooler, better feeling feet.
• Cushioned instep and arch for a better fit, more support and less pressure on the feet for a more comfortable day hike.
• Low profile toe seam won’t rub or irritate the feet.
• Unique padding specifically engineered for light hiking, clinically shown to reduce blisters, pain, pressures and moisture.
• Ventilation panel for extra moisture control and breathability.
• MSRP: $16.99
Wolverine Terrain II Mid
The Wolverine Terrain II hiker offers lightweight, customizable support for all your light-hiking adventures. Using patented Wolverine ICS (individual comfort system) technology, wearers can personalize their level of comfort for how they walk by simply adjusting the gel disc under the Terrain’s performance OrthoLite footbed. A waterproof Wolverine performance leather upper is equipped with Action Frame stabilizers to wrap and stabilize the foot. An M6 rubber outsole provides dependable traction and has a breaking heel for control when going downhill. A durable toe bumper protects high-wear areas along the front of the shoe, and a heel loop makes the Terrain easy-on, easy-off. The Terrain is backed by Wolverine’s 30 day comfort guarantee.
• Waterproof Wolverine® performance leather upper with action frame stabilizers.
• Wave mesh lining with waterproof membrane.
• OrthoLite® footbed with performance arch support.
• Compression molded EVA midsole. M6 rubber outsole.
• Cement construction.
• Light flex.
• MSRP: $140.00
AKU SL Sintesi GTX
The SL Sintesi GTX is designed for serious hikers who are looking for a precision fit, lightweight construction, stability and protection on variable terrain. The precision lacing system extends to the toe for a more precise fit. The IMS-1 Internal Midsole System in this boot features an anatomically-shaped lasting board with an internal 5mm layer of EVA for a broken-in fit and reduced weight. This sole also keeps the hiker low to the ground and weight is evenly distributed. The suede upper features rubber heel and toe protection and the Vibram Mulaz outsole features a climbing zone at the toe for precision. The SL Sintesi GTX also has a Gore-Tex lining for moisture control.
• Weight: 19.4 oz.
• MSRP: $249.00
Outdoor Research Endurance Gaiters
Built for tackling rugged and off-trail terrain in lighter weight shoes and boots, the Endurance Gaiters offer a lower-cut, technical design that’s lightweight, low profile, very breathable, yet extremely protective. They fit a wide array of lighter-weight footwear, and are very easy to get on and off thanks to a step-in, zip-up design. Rugged soft-shell fabric offers stretch and breathability for moving fast in the mountains, and a redundant Velcro closure, cordlock cinch on the top, and double front hook attachments keep trail debris and snow at bay.
• Water Resistant
• Shear Tab Secures Side Closure
• Movement-Mirroring Stretch
• Molded Boot Section
• Lightweight and Durable BioThane® Instep Strap
• Hook/Loop-Covered Zipper Closure
• Abrasion-Resistant Super Fabric Inner Leg
• 1.5"-Wide Hook/Loop Front Closure
• MSRP: $69.00
Platypus Sprinter X.T. 25.0
The ultimate day tripper, the panel-loading Sprinter X.T. 25.0 opens wide for easy access and features the comfort and ventilation of Platypus' padded mesh suspension, three liters of hydration, and external attachments for a helmet, ice axe, trekking poles, and more.
• 3.0L Big Zip™ SL reservoir
• 22 liters of gear storage
• Weatherproof construction (Taped seams, waterproof-coated fabrics and water resistant zippers)
• Easy-access panel load
• Ventilated/padded suspension
• Multi-use waistbelt
• Stashable accessory straps
• Removable frame sheet
• Independent hydration pocket
• Ice axe/helmet/trekking pole carry
• Waistbelt pockets
• Mesh side pockets
• Mesh stash pocket on back
• Multiple hose routing options
• MSRP: $140.00
Piggyback Rider NOMIS Carrier Deluxe
Taking your kid out for a hike has never been easier. The Piggyback rider is perfect for those kids that like to hike but might not make it the whole distant. The Piggyback Rider, is a compact, lightweight, sturdy child carrier designed for toddlers and older children. The innovative, unisex design incorporates standard backpack adjustments to distribute the child’s weight at your core, while they stand firmly on the tempered aluminum bar supported by the shoulder carrier. For safety, the child holds integrated grab handles and is secured by either the basic or deluxe safety harness.
• Basic Child Safety Harness w/ 1L Hydration Bladder
• Robust foam core for comfort
• Front cell phone pocket
• Rear pocket for small items
• Weighs less than 3 lbs.
• Small child pouch
• Smaller than a rolled towel
• Multi-use Carry Bag
• 6-point safety contact
• 4 Secure hand holds
• Sturdy non-slip aluminum bar
• Emergency whistle
• Safety Harness tethers to carrier
• MSRP: $109.99
Leki Micro Vario Carbon
These hiking poles are perfect for hiking or trekking tours. The Micro Vario Carbon with the innovative Aergon grip which stands out by its edgeless shape for comfortable gripping and extreme light weight due to shell cavity construction. The non-slip mid extension guarantees a variety of gripping options. Quick and easy to assemble and collapse with the Push Button Release Mechanism. The Speed Lock enables a smooth change of length by 20cm. Perfect stability is guaranteed by a high-performance tensioning rope with Kevlar reinforcement and sturdy PE coating for lifelong protection of the fibers. A spring in the lower shaft compensates the length automatically, thus keeping the rope in ideal tension all times.
• MSRP: $199.95
Trimble Outdoors Elite Membership
Trimble Outdoors Elite is a comprehensive membership program for outdoor enthusiasts. The Elite membership provides access to more than 2,500 best-in-class topo map bundles that can be stored on smartphones and tablets. In addition, Elite members can view public land boundaries in 46 states, see real-time weather and scout trips with a new online mapping tool. "From trip planning to offline digital maps and printed maps, Trimble Outdoors Elite provides a one-stop solution for modern-day outdoor enthusiasts such as hikers, backpackers and off-roaders," said Rich Rudow, general manager of Trimble Outdoors.
• Offline Maps: Outdoor enthusiasts often frequent remote areas, and they need topographic maps that cover large areas stored on their device. With the new Digital Map Bundles, Elite members can download topo map bundles by state, county or park—more than 2,500 areas across the U.S. These map files are dragged-and-dropped onto a SD memory card or into an iTunes account then transferred to the phone or tablet.
• Public Lands: With the patchwork of private and public lands in the U.S., it's important to know where the boundaries are and whether the land is under private or public ownership.
• Weather Maps: Before heading out the door, Elite members can check interactive weather maps to see if they need to pack a rain jacket, extra sunscreen, or change their itinerary.
• Trip Planner: Every adventure begins with a map and planning a trip is an important step for any outdoor person. With the new Trip Planner tool, Elite members can view outdoor maps, draw routes and mark waypoints at TrimbleOutdoors.com.
• Trimble Outdoors Elite is available as a monthly ($2.99) or yearly ($29.99) subscription.
Badger Anti-Bug Shake & Spray
"Good For the Skin. Bad for the Bug." Badger’s Anti-Bug Shake & Spray is a totally organic, totally natural bug repellent. Using pure essential oils to naturally keep bugs, mosquitoes and insects away from you and your family. This organic Shake & Spray bug repellent naturally repels insects with the pleasant aroma of Citronella, Rosemary, and Wintergreen essential oils. Badger Shake & Spray contains no DEET, petroleum products, or synthetic chemicals, and has been independently lab tested for efficacy - so it's safe and effective for the whole family! The sturdy, lightweight aluminum bottle is easily recyclable.
• Repels insects naturally with the pleasant aroma of Citronella, Rosemary, and Wintergreen essential oils.
• Laboratory tested to repel mosquitoes and stable flies.
• No synthetic chemicals, DEET or petroleum products.
• MSRP: $11.99