Hiking doesn't always have to be hard and it should never be miserable. If you feel that hiking is miserable, I promise, you are doing something wrong. Summer is the perfect time to slip on some hiking boots and get out and see backcountry lakes, or to take an easy stroll through the woods. There are two key components to have a great time hiking. First, choosing a hike depending on your physical ability, and secondly, having the right gear. We hope this guide fulfills the second.
High Sierra Marlin 18
The Marlin 18 hydration pack has an AIRFLOW™ suspended back panel system that helps keep your back dry and cool during mountain biking excursions, trail runs or on a short day hike. A 2-liter/67.6 ounce hydration system has a wide opening reservoir for easy filling and cleaning. The Marlin 18 hydration system is BPA free and antimicrobial. The Marlin features an insulated hose cover that prevents water from freezing in the tube; elastic loops were added for convenient hydration hose positioning. The large, front-load main compartment holds gear while a front pocket organizer with key fob can hold bicycle tools and accessories.
• Tuck-away mesh sport flap holds a helmet.
• Lightweight shoulder straps with adjustable sternum strap.
• Side compression straps with webbing keepers stabilize loads.
• Removable waist belt allows the bag to be customized for each activity.
• Webbing loop holds bike LED blinker.
• Available colors: Bright Red, Charcoal and Black.
• MSRP: $140.00
Mountain Hardwear Plasmic Jacket
Not all hiking days come with blue skies. Having a jacket that can keep you dry on these rainy days will keep you going strong no matter the weather. The Plasmic Jacket is a reliable, full function waterproof shell. The Plasmic keeps you comfortable no matter how active you are. Dry.Q™ EVAP’s innovative system of channels disperses sweat quickly for faster evaporation, improved breathability and a drier interior feel without pit zips.
• Dry.Q™ EVAP accelerates evaporation for more breathability and comfort
• Exposed water resistant Vislon Aquaguard center front zipper
• Fully adjustable hood with single pull adjustment system
• Weight: 10.2 oz. / 289 g.
• Center Back Length: 28 " / 71 cm
• Men’s and Women’s style available
• MSRP: $140.00
Mountain Khakis Granite Creek Long Sleeve Shirt
The Granite Creek Long Sleeve shirt is a timeless, stylish blouse that delivers quick-dry, sun-protection top all in one. The silk-like feel of MK’s proprietary peached Taslan® is buttery-soft next to skin yet abrasion-resistant. It’s tough on the outside and soft on the inside. Oversized collar is stylish and functional – flip it up for panache or added sun and wind protection. DWR and UVA-UVB 50+ resistant, it has roll-up sleeves with a button catch. Quick-dry and wicking so you don’t have to sweat the small stuff.
• 3.1oz, 100% Brushed Nylon Plain Weave
• Durable Water Repellent
• UVA-UVB 50+
• Button Front
• Princess Seams
• Stylish Collar Design Offers Maximum Sun and Wind Protection
• 2 Chest Pockets with Button Closure
• Zip Security Pocket
• Roll-Up Sleeves with Button Catch
• Quick Dry, Wicking
• Chain Stitch Embroidery
• MSRP: $89.95
Outdoor Research Supercharger Pants
Designed as a versatile, all-around trail pant, the Superchargers are built with Schoeller fabric and employ Nanosphere technology, a treatment that’s incredibly effective at repelling dirt or any kind of staining. Highly wind, weather and abrasion resistant, the Superchargers’ stretchy, quick-drying fabric stands up to all manner of outdoor abuse.
• Zippered Rear Ankle Gusset
• Tapered Leg
• Pull on w/Fly (super charger)
• Low-Profile Waist Fits Under Harness
• Internal Webbing Belt
• Internal Loops for Instep Lace
• DWR Coated Zippers
• Drawcord Ankle Adjustments
• Articulated Knee
• Zippered Thigh Pocket
• Front Slash Pockets
• Men’s and women’s specific styles.
• MSRP: $125.00
adidas Terrex Fast X Low GTX
The adidas Terrex Fast X Low GTX shoes are built for fast hikes with a light, protective synthetic-and-mesh upper lined in waterproof, breathable Gore-Tex. The low-cut shoes have a TRAXION outsole which provides the best grip and agility during fast activities and a Continental Rubber outsole for optimal grip in wet conditions. Also this shoe has FORMOTION technology which is designed for enhanced motion control and downhill comfort.
• Weight: 15.5 ounces (per shoe, size 9)
• High-abrasion mesh and synthetic upper materials for breathability and durability
• ADIPRENE®+ in the forefoot maintains propulsion and efficiency
• TRAXION™ outsole built with Continental™ Rubber
• FORMOTION technology
• Waterproof and breathable GORE-TEX® lining; Speed lacing construction for fast and snug lacing
• MSRP: $165.00
The MicroFilter is a lightweight, chemical-free water filtration system that utilizes the most advanced hollow fiber membrane technology. The Vapur MicroFilter safely removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (such as Salmonella, Cholera and E. coli) and 99.9% of protozoa (including Cryptosporidium and Giardia). Together, the bottle and MicroFilter weigh just 2.7 ounces, and the filter is capable of purifying hundreds of liters of water from lakes, rivers, streams and tap water over its lifespan. The Vapur MicroFilter is a great option for anyone who is hiking in the backcountry where you might need a little more water.
• Straw filter - Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (such as Salmonella, Cholera and E. coli) and 99.9% of protozoa (including Cryptosporidium and Giardia).
• SuperCap - Tough Seal. Easy Open
• Durable 3-ply construction
• Dishwasher safe
• BPA free
• Matte finish
• MSRP $69.99
Did you know that 20 million plastic sandwich bags go into US landfills every day? LunchSkins snack, sandwich and sub baggies provide an easy, stylish, affordable solution to single-use plastic bags. Perfect for snacks, traveling or packing lunches, LunchSkins bags are made of food-safe, high-quality fabric used by pastry chefs. The result is a bag that’s grease- and moisture-proof (ideal for messy food), while also dishwasher-safe and BPA-, lead- and phthalate-free. LunchSkins bags aren’t just for portion-controlled snacks and sandwiches either – they are a perfect solution for anytime you would use a plastic baggie. Whether carrying small camping gear or tools or even kids’ toys and crayons (perfect for summer travel!)…the options are endless!.
• Certified food-safe fabric
• Hand sewn
• Quick-drying, lightweight cotton fabric
• Replaces hundreds of plastic baggies
• Lead-free, bpa-free and phthalate-free
• 6.5 x 6.5 inches with fold over flap and snug hook & loop closure
• MSRP: $7.95-$10.95
Beyond Coastal Active Face Stick SPF 30
Active Face Stick SPF 30, is a great option to have in your pack, as you don't have to get your hands covered in sunscreen while on the trail, the crag, the water, or wherever your adventure leads you. This one would be great as a quick reapplication tool so your hands won't get slippery on equipment. With only 12 ingredients, Face Stick is moisturizing, rubs in clear, and is water resistant. The inactive ingredients aren't just empty filler. Beyond Coastal's Active sunscreens nourish, repair, and hydrate your skin with aloe vera, shea butter, and vitamin E.
• Broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection stops 97% of UVB rays
• Clean hands application; great for kids to use by themselves
• Non-greasy, fast absorbing for a clean, light, dry feeling
• Nourishes your skin with coconut oil, beeswax, and yerba mate
• Water resistant
• Acts as a wind-chap to keep your face protected during skiing and snow sports
• Great sunscreen for keeping tattoos from fading
• Gluten Free, Cruelty Free, Fragrance Free
• Oxybenzone Free, Paraben Free, Oil Free (Non-comedogenic)
• MSRP: $6.99
Kiss My Face Sport Lip Balm SPF 30
The Kiss My Face Sport Lip Balm SPF 30 is perfect for active adults as well as children. The long lasting formula offers UVA/UVB sun protection in addition to being preservative free and water resistant. Made with natural beeswax, coconut oil, Vitamin E and Shea Butter, this convenient lip balm will soothe, smooth and protect lips all day. Scented with lime and spearmint essential oils, this balm keeps lips kissable and soft…naturally.
• Organic Beeswax to soften the skin with antioxidant properties
• Shea Butter that moisturizes and soothes
• FDA Approved Sunscreens to protect sensitive skin from harmful sun damage
• MSRP: $3.49
Komperdell C3 Carbon PL
Komperdell, who are based and manufacture all their poles in a state-of-the-art factory in Mondsee, have invested strongly in a range of top of the line carbon fiber trekking poles. The new carbon poles have significant advantages over aluminium poles. Using high grade carbon fiber, they are considerably lighter weight than aluminium poles. In addition, Komperdell’s new carbon poles are much stiffer than equivalent aluminium poles, providing improved strength and reliability on trekking trips. The C3 Carbon Power Lock are lightweight 3-section trekking poles. They are able o be packed down to 69 cm (27,2 in) in length when not in use and can be extended upt to 145 c, (57,1 in) long when in use. The 3 sections of the pole are made of 100% carbon. It also has shock dampening characteristics, which help dampen the vibrations up the shaft. The poles feature the proven Power Lock II adjusting mechanism which enables easy and fast locking of the poles and guarantees highest holding power. The poles are not only easy to lock, but they are also easy to unlock.
• The grip on the C3 Carbon Powerlock are made of EVA foam and very comfortable even without gloves.
• For all outdoor-enthusiasts these poles are easy to adjust and since they are so light they take nearly no effort to swing.
• Weight: 191 g*
• C3 Carbon Power Lock Compact: weight: 175 g*, packaging size 54 cm, maximum length 120 cm
• POWER LOCK II system
• Vario Trekking basket
• Tungsten/carbide flex tip
• “No questions asked” 3 year service guarantee.
• MSRP: $140.00
Best Hikes with Dogs Utah
Utah boasts 84,900 square miles of wilderness and recreation areas, parks, and national forests. But the Beehive State is home to high deserts, hot slickrock, and harsh climates, so finding safe, dog-friendly trails can be confusing. Luckily, Dayna Stern and her retrievers, Harry and Freddie, have sniffed out Utah’s finest trails for our four-legged friends! As Stern writes, “Hiking is a great excuse to get outside, move some muscles, and enjoy nature. Whether it’s short strolls or peak bagging, it’s all fun. But once we bring our dogs along, our joy increases exponentially. I love experiencing the great outdoors through the eyes, ears, and snouts of my dogs.” Best Hikes with Dogs: Utah features pooch-perfect trails that your dog will love, plus tips for navigating Utah’s unique hiking challenges. From easy to strenuous, quick to overnight, these hikes explore miles of Utah’s great outdoors.
• 76 dog-friendly trails, all dog-tested and dog-approved
• Where to find water and spot the best views
• Hikes in the Salt Lake City area, Wasatch Range, Uintas, and beyond
• Trail-finder chart lists hikes by difficulty, water, rock art, and more
• Tips for conditioning your dog
• Details on what to pack for you and your pup, and the basics of gear
• MSRP: $18.95
TurboPUP Nutritional Bars
Nutritional bars have gone to the dogs! TurboPUP is a new meal replacement bar for dogs. It's the size of an iPhone and perfect for pets that may be on the go with their families - hiking, camping, fishing – any adventure where “Fido” is faithfully by their side. No more bulky dog food. Now, Fido can get his full nutritional meal - right from a bar. These bars are compact and ready for travel.
• Made with 100% Natural, Human Grade, American Sourced Ingredients
• Interchangeable with regular dog food
• MSRP: $3.45