Fall is one of my favorite times to get out and go hiking. The weather has cooled down and the leaves are starting to change colors. This gear guide is focused on having great gear for women that want to get out hiking this fall. Knowing that the weather can start to get ugly in the fall we have included 4 different jackets that are great for different reasons. Find the one that best suits your area.
Gramicci Willow Organic L/S Button Down
Gramicci's Willow Button-down is one of the newest additional to their NPT essential line. Clean lines and classic pockets make the Willow a great understated basic to add to your Fall and Winter wardrobe. Made of Gramicci's NPT Senna fabric is a special blend of hemp and GOTS certified organic cotton. This fabric is moisture absorbent, breathable, fast drying, and odor resistant. The double traverse stitch provides high performance ventilation that keeps the body dry and warm during exertion.
• Dream Fit: Fitted shape, closer to body.
• NPT - Essential Tee.
• Button down placket.
• Contrast poplin at collar, and front placket.
• Dual front pockets.
• Long sleeve collard shirt.
• Pleated back yoke.
• 55% Hemp/45% Organic Cotton
• MSRP: $58.00
Icebreaker Vista Pants
The versatile Vista Pants are made from a blend of the best of nature's fibers for extra durability. Whether you're hiking the hills or walking city streets, you'll love how lightweight and comfortable they are. The shaped waist band has belt loops and there are plenty of pockets for your essentials.
• Fabric: 70% merino wool, 30% organic cotton
• Fit: Regular
• MSRP: $179.99
FITS Light Hiker Socks
FITS’ popular Light Hiker Crew is now available specifically for women. The women’s specific Light Hiker comes equipped with extra cushioning in the heel, toe, and arch to accommodate long days on your feet. Crew height cuff rises comfortably just below your calf. If you haven’t tried a pair of FITS socks your feet are missing out.
• Women’s specific
• Content: 65% wool, 6% polyester, 27% nylon, 2% lycra spandex
• MSRP: $19.99
Lowa Toro GTX Lo
As the weather cools and rain and snow start having a boot that is waterproof is a must. This sporty, lightweight hiker tackles groomed trails, country walkabouts, and city streets. Excellent support and stability with added rocker for easy walking comfort. The best part is this boot is made on a women's specific last.
• Upper: Nubuk/Split Leather.
• Lining: waterproof GORE-TEX® with comfortable temperature regulation.
• Footbed: Climate control footbed, with comfort perforations improves breathability, creating a blister-free world for your tooties.
• Midsole: PU Monowrap® Frame, a LOWA patented construction technique that allows us to reduce overall boot weight while retaining important lateral stability.
• Outsole: Non-slip Vibram® 'Enduro' outsole provides excellent grip for outdoor activities.
• Stabilizer: 3/4 length nylon
• MSRP: $200.00
Camelbak Octane 22
The Octane 22 LR is a lightweight and streamlined hydration pack perfect for extended excursions that require a large amount of cargo. Equipped with a 3L (100 oz) Antidote Lumbar Reservoir with Quick Link, the Octane 22 LR is designed to transfer the reservoir weight from the shoulders to the hips for a whole new way to carry your water. Engineered to be extremely lightweight and comfortable, the Octane 22 LR allows the user to focus on their adventure and not their pack.
• Antidote 100 oz. (3L) Lumbar Reservoir with Quick Link System
• Perfect for all-day excursions of hiking, biking, or running
• Cargo capacity: 1160 cu in (22L) total, including 3L Antidote Reservoir
• Weight: 1.5 lbs (no reservoir)
• Back panel: Air Mesh with rear access reservoir loading
• Overflow front cargo pocket
• Belt: Fixed 25mm / 1” with cargo pockets
• Designed to be extremely lightweight and comfortable
• MSRP $130.00
Sunday Afternoons Maddox Cap
The 100% waterproof, ‘cadet’ styled Maddox Cap, features our H2OShield technology, heathered stretch microfiber polyester fabric, integrated mesh liner for moisture management, ‘ComfortStretch’ integrated sizing that ensures a perfect fit, and a stylish asymmetrical stitching detail to make it a great cap for everyday cool/wet weather use.
• Waterproof H2OShield breathable membrane
• 2.5" brim length
• Seam Taped
• Asymmetrical stitching detail
• Integrated mesh liner for moisture management
• ‘ComfortStretch’ integrated sizing
• Dark under-brim reduces snow/water glare
• Lightweight: 2.5oz
• Sizes: M (22” - 23”) L (22.75” – 23.75”)
• MSRP: $30.00
Stonewear Design Helix Jacket
The New Helix Jacket is the Perfect feminine jacket for any cold weather adventure. Sleek and strong with breathable fleece on the inside and a smooth, luscious water repellant finish on the outside. Smart, functional design includes a waist-flattering band with gathers in the back.
• Quick-drying and moisture-wicking
• 100% polyester
• MSRP: $120.00
Westcomb Womens Bolt Jacket
Westcomb's full-featured Bolt Jacket is the designed for the specific needs of a gal's life in the backcountry. Tricked out with a helmet compatible hood, adjustable waist, velour lined chin gaurd and multiple pockets, the Bolt is happy marriage between minimalism and the features you just can't live without. The Bolt Jacket is made from the amazingly breathable, waterproof and windproof Polartec NeoShell, making it a perfect companion for hiking, backcountry skiing, and climbing. The Bolt is ready to tackle the myriad of alpine conditions you might face on your next adventure.
• Attached helmet compatible hood
• Adjustable waist system
• Laminated internal media pocket
• 1 DRI Napoleon pocket with DRI flap
• 2 Hand pockets
• YKK AquaGuard® VISLON
• 360 NP Polartec® NeoShell®
• MSRP: $479.95
adidas Terrex Ndospher Primaloft Jacket
The new Terrex Ndosphere Jacket combines ultimate freedom of movement with 360° insulation. Even when wet. The stretch panels on the sides and back lined with PrimaLoft® make it a warm movement masterpiece that fits into every backpack. Moisture management, insulation and freedom of movement have been redefined from the ground up and a new concept implemented from inside out. The Cocona® finish made from coconut fibre and used in the key zones ensures ideal microclimate and comfort thanks to its active charcoal particles. Thanks to the increase in surface area, it rapidly transports away moisture from your body to prevent excessive cooling at the same time as delivering maximum insulation. This is ensured by 80g PrimaLoft® in the core area and hood. Especially developed for high performance, it supports moisture management and provides insulation very close to that of down, while in addition keeping warm when wet.
• Partial Cocona® lining for ultimate moisture management
• 80g PrimaLoft® insulation keeps warm even when wet
• PrimaLoft® insulated stretch panels at both sides and back guarantee 360° warmth while allowing ultimate freedom of movement
• Adjustable waist hem
• Adjustable hood
• FORMOTION cut for perfect fit and comfort while in motion
• Chest pocket
• 2 hand warming zip pockets
• MSRP: $195.00
Salomon Mont Baron WS Hoodie W
The Salomon Mont Baron WS Hoodie is Salomon’s answer for the shoulder season jacket. This versatile Gore® Windstopper Softshell zip hoodie feels great and is ideal for a variety of sport and is perfect for fall and spring summits. The Gore® Windstopper Softshell material offers high wind protection and breathability combining the comfort of a mid-layer and the water resistance of a shell all in one garment. The Salomon Mount Baron WS Hoodie has three zipped pockets including one chest pocket and a thumb loop to ensure full coverage from the elements. The women’s jacket weighs 350 grams (12.35 ounces).
• Smart Skin
• 2 Zipped Pockets
• Thumb Loop
• 1 chest pocket
• Smart closure
• Windstopper softshell
• Active fit
• MSRP $200.00
Adventure Medical Kits Pocket Survival Pak
We can only hope that you will never need to use the Pocket Survival Pak but if you do get lost you will be glad you have it. Designed by outdoor survival expert, Doug Ritter, this kit contains critical survival supplies in a waterproof, pocket-sized pack that weighs only 3.9 ounces. This kit includes a 20mm compass, duct tape, scalpel blade, magnifier, utility wire, nylon cord, nylon thread, sewing needle, fishing kit, safety pins, aluminum foil, pencil, paper, Fire Lite sparker, Tinder Quik, super loud whistle, rescue mirror, and survival instructions.
• Broadcast your location up to 1 mile away with the 110 dB Rescue Howler™ Whistle and over 30 miles with the Rescue Flash™ signal mirror with mil-spec retroreflective aimer.
• Waterproof survival instructions by Doug Ritter™ - hundreds of tips and techniques specific to the kit's contents.
• Durable zip-seal pouch provides waterproof protection.
• Spark Lite striker is tested to produce over 5,000 sparks; Tinder Quik burns up to two minutes, even when wet.
• MSRP $34.00
Mophie juice pack plus Outdoor Edition for iPhone 4/4s
More and more we are taking our cell phones everywhere we go. The Mophie Juice Pack Plus Outdoor Edition eliminates the need to carry a dedicated GPS device by utilizing the mophie outdoor iPhone app, users have access to more than 650,000 map images for on-the-go navigation. It is also equipped with a 2000 mAh battery, doubling the battery life of the iPhone 4/4S. An integrated LED status indicator tells you exactly how much “juice” is left and also displays how much time remains during the charging process.
• Free one year subscription for unlimited access to more than 650,000 map images encompassing five million square miles of complete coverage of the continental United States and Hawaii
• GPS tracking using AccuTerra or Google Maps
• Save unlimited tracks, placemarks and geo-referenced photos
• Share adventures via email and Facebook
• Import and export adventures via Bluetooth
• Utilize downloaded AccuTerra maps without being connected to 3G, ultimately extending and saving the device’s battery
• MSRP: $119.95
Skratch Labs Apple & Cinnamon Hydration Mix
Skratch Labs tested the Apples & Cinnamon flavor last winter by producing a small amount for only their best customers, and has spent a good portion of the last seven months reassuring those customers the product would be back permanently this year. This new flavor in their popular line of all-natural sports drinks is designed to be consumed hot and used in cold, wintry conditions. Calling the flavor “Apples & Cinnamon,” the company decided against ingredients that only taste like apples and cinnamon instead choosing to use only actual apples and actual cinnamon. The company believes the new flavor will be a “game changer” for anyone who exerts themselves in cold conditions.
• MSRP: Single Stick - $1.95, One pound reusable bag - $19.50
Saquito Chia Energy Mix
With an amazing taste and nutritional profile, Saquito is the truly satisfying endurance energy food. Saquito is built primarily with chia and hemp seeds, ideal endurance superfoods. Most energy bars are full of sugar. Saquito is not. All this translates into stamina for you. For the best athletic results eat Saquito on its own right out of the pack as you would a trail mix, however it is also great as a superfood boost to your favorite foods like yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies and more.
• Gluten free
• 3400mg Omega 3 per pkg
• 95% Organic ingredients
• 10g complete protein per pkg
• Biodegradable packaging
• MSRP is $2.69 per unit or $21.99 for a box of 8 units.