Spring is drawing to an end and summer is on its way. This is going to be our last Spring Gear Guide for 2012, but it is full of great gear to help you get out and play in the water. The gear in this guide is built to last as well as to help protect you and your gear. So check it out and then get out and play. Over the next couple of months we will be posting some of our favorite picks for new summer gear, so check back often.
Hurricane Kayaks Hurricane Santee 100LT
The Santee 100 LT recently got a face lift and tummy tuck. Weighing in at only 35 lbs, the redesigned 100 LT possesses a 5-inch longer cockpit than previous models, includes Hurricane’s new fully-adjustable grey seat, sports an integral paddle holder, and features fresh deck aesthetics that add rigidity to the boat’s overall structure. The new and improved 100 LT features a rear bulkhead not typically found in 10-foot competitors, as well as an 8″ hatch and attractive deck rigging.
• Hull Design: Sit-In
• Length: 10ft. 0in.
• Kayak Width: 30 in.
• Weight: 36.5 lbs.
• Material: Trylon
• Cockpit Length: 38 in.
• Cockpit Width: 21 in.
• Weight Capacity: 225 lbs.
• Bulk Heads: Bow & Stern
• Hatches: Bow & Stern
• Adjustable Seat: Yes
• MSRP: $799
Advanced Elements Attack Whitewater Kayak
Take-on the roughest conditions with the new Attack Whitewater Kayak! At 9’6” with a width of 35”, a tube diameter of 9.50”, and 12” rocker, this self-bailer is made for whitewater. Constructed of durable 840 Denier PVC Tarpaulin and weighing in at 34 lbs., this kayak consists of three air chambers and features a series of self-bailing ports, adjustable thigh straps, an adjustable seat, hull abrasion rails, and a self-draining covered rear cargo hold for stashing gear.
• Hull Design: Self-bailing ports and 12” bow/stern rise (rocker) for quick turns.
• Durable: Heavy-duty PVC Tarpaulin hull and independent PVC bladders for double layer thickness.
• Stable: 35” width provides increased stability.
• Storage: Stern deck covered cargo bay for storing a drybag or other gear.
• Length: 9’6”
• Width: 35”
• Weight: 34 lbs. (15kg)
• Max. Weight: 225 lbs. (102kg)
• Carrying Duffel Bag
• Folding Seat
• Thigh Straps
• MSRP: $639.99
Granite Gear eVent Sil Compression Drysacks
This compression bag is an ultralight drysack, made with 30D hybrid sil-nylon CORDURA®. It has an eVent bottom in which air can be purged through. Its factory seam sealed with a roll-top closure, the rolling stay is pre-curved so that it pops open, making it easier to load than a flat stay. The new block shape is an innovation to help you pack more efficiently in a backpack or other packs. These little drysack are also durable. You can compress your gear down to a nearly rock-solid state with no fear of ripping the sack. They have also lightened it up by replacing the compression webbing with paracord.
• Waterproof and ultralight
• As the sack is compressed air is forced out the eVent® bottom
• See-thru Sil-Nylon fabric allows you to see what's inside.
• Keep gear organized and color coded.
• Fully finished seams
• Compress lofty items to a rock hard state without bulging
• New bloc shape makes them perfect for stacking in your pack
• New Lineloc technology is 30% lighter than webbing compression systems
• 30D Sil-Nylon CORDURA® Body
• eVent® bottom and eVent® Seam Tape
• 210 D Nylon reinforcement Arches
• LineLoc Compression
• MSRP: $30.95-39.95
Sea Line Pro Pack
The ultimate in high capacity globetrotting gear protection. The pack of choice for big river running, frequent portaging and worry-free expedition travel. A fully adjustable suspension system can easily be removed for safe river running and includes a ventilated and waterproof back panel, shoulder and sternum straps, plus a hefty waist belt for big loads.
• Removable Suspension: Fully adjustable and deluxe enough to carry the heaviest loads.
• Reliable Protection: Dry Seal roll-top Closure ensures the best watertight seal possible.
• Built Tough: 19 oz. scrim-reinforced vinyl side with heavy duty 30 oz. scrim-reinforced bathtub vinyl bottom
• Extra Security: Side cinch straps add peace of mind and secure compression with big loads.
• MSRP: $189.95
Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil® Dry Sacks
The new Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil® Dry Sacks are more than 50% lighter than their super popular Dry Sacks. They’re made of Siliconized CORDURA®, which is one of the lightest and toughest waterproof nylon fabrics available. Now you don’t have to choose between keeping your gear dry and keeping it light.
• A Backpacker magazine Editors' Choice Award Winner!
• Super compact and ultra-lightweight
• Made of Ultra-Sil™ nylon, a polyurethane coated Siliconized CORDURA® for ultimate waterproofing and maximum durability
• Non-wicking Hypalon® roll top closure with stiffener at the top for a better seal
• Soft and flexible with a slippery finish for easy packing
• Nearly transparent allowing good visibility of the contents
• All seams are double stitched and tape sealed
• Smaller sizes have flat bottoms, others are round
• Colors: kiwi green, sky blue and orange
• MSRP: $12.95-23.95
WRSI Full face helmet
The Moment is the first all-out full face creeking helmet from WRSI. The helmet features the construction from the Current with a permanent, very rigid facebar that will keep your smile looking good. Feel good about your gear, make your mom proud and protect your good looking smile.
• MSRP: $149.95
Quiksilver Cypher Kelly Nomad
Kelly said in an interview that he hasn't been at home for more than a month straight since high school. Maybe that is why he named these signature trunks the Cypher Kelly Nomad. With a stretch stitch at hems and Lycra at inside front rise, these shorts are comfortable.
• 88% Polyester 12% Spandex
• Water repellant 4 Way Stretch Diamond Dobby
• 21 inch Outseam
• Double up closure with new Diamond Fly
• Zip pocket
• Interior waistband screenprints
• Custom labels and embroideries.
• MSRP: $65.00
Kavu Sandin Short
These are some KRAZY ridiculous DWR treated Nylon Shorts made for fun in the sun and fun in the Lake or the Ocean. Stand up paddle shorts, Kiteboarding Shorts, Lacrosse Shorts, Kayaking shorts, swimming shorts and seriously anything you like to do in the summer fun shorts. Don’t take them off. Sleep in them.
• 100% Nylon
• Full elastic waist with built in 3/4" herringbone belt with side release buckle
• Front patch pocket
• Back half-moon pockets with mesh pocket bags
• Freedom gusset
• Thick jean thread and double needle reinforced seams.
• 8" inseam
• MSRP: $55.00
Kiss My Face Sun Spray Lotion SPF 30
Let the sun shine and help prevent the damaging effects of the sun with the Kiss My Face Sun Spray Lotion SPF 30. It is the perfect sunscreen for those who play hard and enjoy the outdoors. The broad spectrum formula comes in a convenient spray bottle, is water resistant and easy to apply. This new spray is also specially formulated with aloe and antioxidant green tea to protect, moisturize and soothe the skin. So practice safe sun with Kiss My Face and get out and stay!
• Beta glucans help soothe and protect skin
• Water resistant formula
• Antioxidant vitamin E and green tea fight the signs of aging,
• Biodegradable packaging
• This product contains no parabens, animal ingredients, artificial fragrance or colors and was not tested on animals.
• MSRP: available in 8 oz. for $15.95 and 14 oz. for 19.99
Introducing The Mariner: from high surf to the calmest of waters, a true mariner never turns his back on the sea. The Mariner features a true race timer with unique beep alerts to signal countdown is approaching zero. Also, featuring automatic start after completed countdown, countdown repeat or countdown and count-up timer.
• 100 Meters H20
• Time / dual time
• Countdown timer w/ unique beep signals
• Repeat and count-up timer
• Nightvision backlight
• Durable silicone strap
• Hydro Pushers
• MSRP: $75.00
RollerCam Tie downs
Cam straps and buckles have been around for years. Those of you that have used these devices have fallen in love with the ease of use compared to other strap mechanisms. Rollercam™ has improved on the traditional strap by using the patented Rollercam™ technology. The rollercam device utilizes a stainless steel shaft and marine grade brass roller to eliminate the frictional losses so accustomed with traditional cam straps and buckles. The result is a cam strap which can be tighten to over 4-10X that of normal straps. Not only does the Rollercam™ technology allow for transferring a maximum securing force to your load, it also acts as a low friction feed roller when threading the strap into the cam for easy assembly.
• MSRP: $4.95-$8.95
Salamander Paddle Gear Bat Wrap-protects
The Bat Wrap attaches to any 1" Cam Strap offering the utmost protection for metal cam buckles! Tossing strap and buckle over your load can be done with confidence and without fear of dinging a rooftop, caving in a window or scratching a boat! Bat wrap is 1/4" thermoformed foam with sewn piping around the perimeter for long wear and protection. They have sewn in a Velcro tab for securing cam strap and buckle to pad, ensuring it won't move. The sides (wings) have 2" strip of hook & loop Velcro and once folded over will contain any loose ends.
• MSRP: $5.50
Ruff Wear K-9 Float coat
Does your dog always come with you? If so you can add layer of protection for your dog by using the K-9 Float Coat. It is ideal for rafting, kayaking, boating, surfing and paddle boarding. Ideal for all canines who frequent the water. This premium, fully-featured life jacket is perfect for aggressive swimmers in rough or fast moving water, day or night as well as for those dogs who just want to get their paws wet.
• Confidence-inspiring canine life jacket designed for safety and fun
• Natural swimming position made possible by strategically-placed closed cell foam panels
• Strong, low-profile handle is optimally positioned to help dogs out of the water
• Telescoping neck closure adjusts for a range of dog sizes and is permanently attached and
• Sheltered buckles stay in place for easy, one-handed clipping, and are protected from wear
• Light loop on top for attaching The Beacon™ safety light
• Water-compatible webbing remains stable in wet environments
• Built for a lifetime of water adventures with time-proven, abrasion resistant materials
• 3M™ Scotchlite™ reflective trim for enhanced visibility in or out of the water
• MSRP: $79.95