I know here in Utah the Browns are hungry and hitting hard. Fall can be some of the best fishing of the year. So if you have been waiting for a good time to get out and go fishing there might not be a better time than now. This gear guide is full of fly fishing products for both the beginner and pro. We hope that this guide will inspire you to get out and catch the big one this fall.
Patagonia River Salt Jacket
Designed to meet the need for a bombproof fishing-specific shell, the new River Salt Jacket was built to handle the absolute worst weather in both fresh- and saltwater conditions. Constructed with Patagonia’s extra-tough H2No® Performance Standard 4-layer, 5.4-oz wader fabric with a waterproof/breathable barrier and a Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish, this is a burly waterproof/breathable fishing shell. This jacket boats many new features such as three TPU-coated front zip pockets sized to hold fly boxes, waterproof and corrosion-resistant ririAQUAzip zippers, and an innovative, fully vented adjustable hood designed to stay in place even when moving quickly in a boat.
• 100% polyester microfiber H2No® Performance Standard shell with a waterproof/breathable barrier and a Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish; same fabric we use for our toughest waders
• Innovative, fully vented adjustable hood designed to stay in place even when running at speed in a boat
• Waterproof, corrosion-resistant ririAQUAzip® front zipper
• Three TPU, coated, water-repellent front zip pockets sized to hold fly boxes
• Watertight adjustable cuffs
• Mesh draining bungee draw cord
• H2No® Performance Standard 4-layer, 5.4-oz 100% plain weave with a waterproof/breathable barrier and a Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish
• MSRP: $349.00
Redington Women's Sonic Pro Waders
Offering technical features that all anglers desire but designed for women. The women's Sonic-Pro zip front wader makes getting in and out a breeze and the added stretch material make spending a day in your fishing waders more comfortable than traditional chest waders. With Redington's premier Sonic-Pro technology, this is the most technical women's specific wader on the market.
• Flattering feminine design
• Full center-front, waterproof RiRi™ Storm zipper provides easy in-and-out of wader
• 100% Nylon 4-layer wader fabric
• Chest portion of wader offers a 175 g/m2 False Twist Stretch Twill, for added stretch and mobility
• DWR coated wader fabric
• High-tech Ultra Sonic Welded construction (no sew) and double taped seams throughout for ultimate durability and comfort
• Ergonomic zippered hand warmer pockets
• Laser cut exterior pockets with YKK water resistant zippers
• Gravel guards with custom molded anti-fouling lace hook
• Custom hemostat clamp d-ring
• High density, ergonomically shaped neoprene booties
• Articulated seams for increased mobility
• Seam technology licensed via Orvis Patent 7,770,235
• MSRP: $349.95
Redington Topo Outfit
The Topo Outfit is a grab-and-go outfit for anyone looking to get started fly fishing. The most daunting task for a beginner is determining what they need to get started. Redington makes it easy. The outfit comes with everything needed to get on the water and start fly fishing including a 9-foot, 5-weight fly rod, a Crosswater reel spooled with RIO’s Mainstream WF5F fly line with front loop, a 9-foot, 5x tapered leader, an extra spool of tippet, nippers, and a fly box with six high floating, durable dry flies. The 4-piece fly rod is made with high performance graphite and has a carbon fiber reel seat to be lighter weight, which makes it ideal for backpacking. This outfit also comes with a how-to guide for beginner anglers with casting instructions, details on how to read a stream, how to tie knots and more. All this equipment comes in a durable rod and reel case with an adjustable shoulder strap making this an easy addition for a weekend camping or backpacking trip.
• TOPO ROD: 9’, 5wt, 4-piece easy-to-cast, high performance graphite fly rod with a carbon fiber reel seat for ultra-lightweight, ideal for backpacking
• Alignment dots for easy rod set up
• Half-wells handle for extra sensitivity when fishing
• Lifetime Warranty
• Lightweight construction, lessens overall weight of package
• CROSSWATER REEL: Large arbor design for easier and quicker retrieve
• Strong disc drag system for great fish stopping power
• Pre-spooled RIO Mainstream® WF5F fly line with front loop
• 9’ 5x tapered leader
• 100 yds / 20# backing
• TOPO PACKAGE: Six (6) high floating, durable and easy-to-see foam dry flies packed in a custom Redington sealed fly box: Olive Foam Caddis Size 14, Tan Bullet Hooper Size 10, Hi-Vis Foam Ant Size 16, Hi-Vis Foam Beetle Size 12, Foam Adams Mayfly Size 14, Foam BWO Mayfly Size 16
• Nippers for cutting excess line, tippet or tail ends of knots (convenient lanyard included)
• Extra spool of tippet for those active days of fishing
• Lightweight rod & reel case with adjustable strap for convenient travel or backpacking
Fikkes Carbon Fiber Fly Hiker
The Fikkes Fly Hiker came on the scene in 2011 to create the solution for those who had to choose between taking the fly rod or the trekking pole when venturing outdoors. First of its kind, the Fikkes Fly Hiker utilizes the void within the trekking pole to house a rod blank that, when connected, allows anyone who carries a trekking pole now the option of fly fishing. The Fikkes Fly Hiker is USA made with the local drive of Washington state companies all within a 20 mile radius of Fikkes Outdoor Innovation headquarters. This proximity to suppliers gives Fikkes the confidence to stand behind their products and give users a 100% lifetime warranty.
• Total weight 9oz (including fishing rod stored inside)
• Comes in 8ft. 3wt. or 6wt. fly inserts
• Trekking pole adjustable height 45” – 60”
• Handle is made of anodized aluminum tubing
• G. Loomis Carbon Fiber Fishing rod
• Quick release reel seat
• Lifetime Guarantee
• USA Made
• MSRP: $399.99
Wilderness Systems Ride 115
The Ride 115 is the perfect fishing kayak. Lightweight and portable, gear junkies can load it down and bring home the big one, but in a boat that is easy to carry and easy to store. The Ride 115 plows through surf, moves in and out of inland waterways, coastal areas, rivers and cruises on flat water. The overhauled design is quiet on-water and boasts a dry ride. The fun is on the deck. The new floor layout, including widened, flat footwells, makes it one of the easiest boats to stand up in. The Ride 115 is actually the first kayak on the market under 12-feet to give true stand-up confidence.
• AirPro Freedom Elite Seating System
• Recessed, No-Snag Deck Fittings
• Orbix Bow & Midship Hatches
• Cup Holder with Drain
• Flat-Mount Deck/Console Surfaces
• Drain Plug
• Self-Bailing Scupper Holes
• Made in the USA
• Skid Plate
• Keepers Foot Brace System
• SlideTrax Accessory System
• Rudder Ready
• Tankwell w/ Bungee
• MSRP: $849.00
Bending Branches Angler Series Paddles
Bending Branches has launched a full line of new kayak angler paddles. These new paddles were designed by professional kayak anglers and include paddles for the full range of paddlers who are hooked on kayak fishing…from the weekend angler to the passionate pro.
• Angler Scout – An entry-level paddle, the Scout provides great value as well as the functional design and durability that you expect from Bending Branches.
• Angler Classic – Lighter than the Scout for anglers whose dedication to kayak fishing is growing. Classic Bending Branches strength and style.
• Angler Ace – With its T-700 carbon shaft and carbon-reinforced nylon blades, the Ace makes for a lightweight trip to an angler’s hot spots.
• Angler Pro – For the tournament angler who demands a paddle that’s lightweight, strong, serious…and quite an eyeful.
With these new paddles, Bending Branches recognizes the growing segment of kayak anglers around the world who’ve typically had to “make do” with standard kayak paddles. Every paddle in the Angler series from Bending Branches has tape measures (in both inches and centimeters) built right into the shaft, making it easier for anglers to gauge their catch. And several have a hook retrieval system built into the blade. Most are available in either a dark color (so the fish can’t see them sneaking up) or a bright color (for safety’s sake).
• MSRP: $99.00-$299.00
Montana Fly Company Waterproof Fly Case
At 11” x 8” x 2 ½ “, this Fly Case is the perfect bugger box. It’s a little smaller than the MFC Boat Box so it will easily fit in your backpack. It’s 100% waterproof and see-through so you can quickly look through all your fly cases to find the perfect bug without having to open each box. The rubber gasket and sealing clamps provide a waterproof box that will protect your flies from submersion. Not only because it’s waterproof–it floats. This box is also available with your custom logo.
• MFC Fly Case is completely waterproof.
• Use the MFC Fly Case to locate your flies before having to even open your fly box.
• MSRP $44.99
Tilley Organic Cotton AirFlo® Hat
Whether fly-fishing or trying out stand-up paddle-boarding for the first time, the Tilley Organic Cotton AirFlo® Hat is the answer. One of Tilley’s most popular Hat styles, the organic cotton fabric has a touch of Spandex. It has also been sueded, giving it a soft, yet rugged look. With ¾” mesh wrap around the crown offers superb ventilation. The combination makes a breathable, lightweight hat that looks and feels great.
• Guaranteed for life not to wear out
• Insured against loss
• Excellent sun protection, rated UPF 50+
• Dark underbrim for glare protection
• Repels rain, floats
• Ties on in the wind
• Machine washable, won't shrink
• 4-page Owner's Manual
• Secret pocket
• Broad brim with ¾" ventilation mesh
• MSRP: $82.00
Glacier Glove’s Ultra Light Angler
Whether you are fishing during the cool morning hours of the fall and spring months, or during mild winter days, the Ultra Light Angler is a great choice. The Ultra Light Angler provides unsurpassed dexterity and versatility, featuring one of the most unique designs on the market today. The Ultra Light Angler is available in two models; a slit finger design with a concealable flip mitt and a slit finger design, without the mitt. You can use the Ultra Light Angler as a slit finger glove allowing you to access your thumb and index finger on both the right and left hands without having to take the glove off, or you can use the glove as a mitt when the conditions call for additional warmth. The versatility of the Ultra Light Angler is what truly makes it unique. Its features provide the highest level of dexterity, while also giving you the option for warmth in cooler weather. Both gloves feature silicone palms for better durability, and a better grip, wet or dry.
• Ultra Light Angler: MSRP: $27.99
• Ultra Light Angler Mitt: MSRP: $24.99
Fishpond Westwater Guide Lumbar Pack
Anglers will also appreciate the construction and features on the Westwater Guide Lumbar Pack. Taking the highlights from the very popular Waterdance and Nimbus Guide Packs, this pack features a large zipper opening with two interior accessory pockets, an integrated guide net slot, mesh lumbar support for increased ventilation and comfort as well as bottom cinch straps for a rain jacket or extra rod tube. An adjustable, padded shoulder strap is included to expand the carrying options from a waist pack to a chest or sling pack.
Smith Optics Chief Bifocal
Greatly enhancing your fly-tying experience, the popular Chief sunglass is now available with +2.0 or +2.5 magnification in the polarized Carbonic TLT lenses. Featuring bio-based Evolve frame material and stay-put Megol nose and temple pads that react to sweat and moisture to stay on your face. Part of Smith’s Evolve Collection: Smith has the largest eco-friendly sunglass collection in the world. Over 75% of all frames and 100% of our injection-molded frames feature our Evolve frame material. Utilizing Rilsan® Clear – made from easily renewable, non-GMO castor plants – our Evolve frame material creates lightweight, durable, and fully transparent sunglass frames that are over 53% bio-based. Backed by Smith’s True Lifetime Warranty.
• Medium Fit
• Frame/Temple: Grilamid TR90
• Carbonic Polarized TLT Lenses
• Hydrophilic Megol Nose & Temple Pads
• 8 Base Lens Curvature
• +2.0 & +2.5 Magnification
• Frame Measurements 58 - 13 - 120
• MSRP: $139
The Highgear Angler is the ultimate fishing watch that can help you catch the big one. Featuring information on tide times, sunrise / sunset times and moon phases relative to location, the Angler displays the four best daily fishing times as well as projected fishing times for upcoming days. Additional features include: graphic displays for tide and moon phases, a digital compass with adjustable declination, a 24-hour chronograph, daily alarms, a rotating stainless steel compass bezel, a red backlight perfect for low-light and nighttime fishing expeditions and a durable watch case that is water-resistant up to 50 meters.
• MSRP: $100.00
Pure FIshing’s SpiderWire® Zilla Braid™ fishing line
The SpiderWire® Zilla Braid™ fishing line, made with CORDURA® brand nylon fiber, is customized for shock and abrasion resistance and is designed to help anglers catch and reel in large fish. The breakthrough construction of the line features a combination blend of CORDURA® and Dyneema® branded fiber technologies designed to maximize performance and durability. Zilla Braid is ideal for bass, stripers, sturgeon, muskie, catfish and other large fish.
• MSRP: $14.99-$24.99 - 125 yd. spool