We always do a couple guides of items that you might not buy for your dad, but you might buy them for your husband or maybe even for yourself. This guide has some great pieces of gear that is sure to please the hardest to buy for dads. A few of the picks in this guide are personally some of my favorite pieces of outdoor gear. I know that I would be happy to recieve anything on this list.
Mountain Hardwear Effusion Hooded Jacket
This jacket was designed for the man or dad on the move. This lightweight, 3-layer waterproof/breathable jacket breathes and moves like no hard shell could ever hope to. Use it for strenuous activities in snow, wind, rain and when breathability and stretch are as important as weather protection.
• Close-fitting, athletic cut with a long-cut back for performance
• Fully waterproof seam taped construction
• DWR finish repels water
• Reflective trim for visibility
• Utilizing our Dry.Q™ Active Technology, this is our lightest weight 3-layer knit waterproof/breathable stretch jacket.
• Weight12.5 oz. / 353 g.
• BodyActive Solution™ 20D 3L Jersey
• MSRP: $240.00
Stio Men's Rounder Blazer
The perfect blend of classic blazer style and technical function. The Rounder resists wrinkles for travel ease, sheds water in case the weather shifts or your beer spills, and gives stretch for all-day comfort, all while maintaining a fashionable look for any situation from a throw-on with jeans and a polo to dinner with slacks and button down.
• Schoeller Dynamic material for stretch and comfort, treated with NanoSphere for wrinkle and water resistance
• Two-button styling with double-welted hand pockets, single-welt chest pocket
• Functional button placket at cuff
• Kick pleat at back for classic style and movability
• Interior pockets with button closure for quick stashing
• MSRP: $240.00
Nau Motil Trench
The Motil Trench debuts a high density taffeta, a 100-percent recycled polyester softshell fabrication. A densely woven, micro-fiber yarn construction allows for superior wind resistance, while a DWR finish provides water repellency. The lightweight material weighs 108 grams/m2 and features a memory retention construction, ensuring the jacket keeps its shape and making it a great packable option for travel and everyday wear.
• DWR finish for added water resistance.
• Internal bound seams with lined sleeves and front torso.
• Five-button front
• Button tab on collar for increased neck coverage.
• Flap covered drop-in front hand pockets and one zip chest pocket with flap, two internal zip pockets.
• Velcro cuff adjustment for personal comfort.
• Center back vent for breathability.
• MSRP: $250.00
These cameras are perfect for the dad who plays hard and wants some proof to show his buddies back at the office. The latest line of cameras from GoPro is the HERO3 which comes in the White, Silver or Black Edition. The White Edition boasts the same high performance specs as the Original HD HERO camera it replaces, yet it has built-in Wi-Fi, new UI and is 30% smaller and 25% lighter. The Silver Edition boasts the same high performance specs as the famous HD HERO2 camera it replaces, yet it has built-in Wi-Fi and is 30% smaller and 25% lighter. The Black Edition is the most advanced GoPro, ever. No expense was spared during its development, resulting in a GoPro that is 30% smaller, 25% lighter and 2x more powerful than previous models. Wearable and gear mountable, waterproof to 197' (60m), capable of capturing ultra-wide 1440p 48fps, 1080p 60 fps and 720p 120 fps video and 12MP photos at a rate of 30 photos per second, the HERO3: Black Edition is the world's most versatile camera. Built-in Wi-Fi, GoPro App compatibility and the included Wi-Fi Remote (normally a separate $79.99 accessory) make the HERO3: Black Edition all the more versatile, still. You have three to pick from to find that perfect camera for dad.
• Wearable, mountable design
• Immersive, wide angle capture of your favorite activities
• Professional quality HD video & 12MP photos
• Built-in Wi-Fi enables remote control via included Wi-Fi Remote or video preview and remote control on smartphones and tablets running the free GoPro app.
• Rugged housing is waterproof to 197’/60M and captures sharp images above and below water
• Compatible with all GoPro mounts for attaching to gear, body, helmets, vehicles and more
• Compatible with LCD Touch BacPac™ and second generation Battery BacPac™
• Backwards compatible with older generation BacPacs™
• Professional 4K Cinema 15 fps / 2.7K cinema 30 fps / 1440p 48 fps / 1080p 60 fps / 960p 100 fps /720p 120 fps and more video capture
• 12MP photo capture with 30 fps burst
• Wi-Fi Built-In
• Wi-Fi Remote Compatible (included)
• GoPro App Compatible (FREE)
• 197’/ 60m Waterproof Housing*
• MSRP: White Edition: $199.99, Silver Edition: $299.99, and Black Edition: $399.99
The Bombora Longboard, a completely new board designed after the company’s own Black Coral Classic Surfboard. The Kahuna Creations Bombora is specifically designed for stand-up paddling on the street and performs like nothing else on the market. Kahuna Creations created three color schemes of this unprecedented new board. These boards are the absolute top of the line and amazing for all rider types. The most advanced riders love the thrill this monumental board brings, and beginners are stoked by its unbelievable stability.
• An incredible 4' 11" long and 14" wide
• Weighs only 17 lbs
• Strength from its 100% Baltic Birch
• Ideal for stand-up paddle cross training
• Stable, surf shape that is crazy fun to ride
• Painted pin striping for incredible, beautiful finish
• Wide Buck 10" trucks and Kahuna Creations 70mm wheels
• Deep, wide Kahuna Wheel Wells to eliminate wheel bite
• MSRP: $249.00
Big Shot Bikes
Big Shot Bikes makes customizable single speed commuter bikes that would also be perfect for cruising around the neighborhood or down the bike path with the kids. The bikes retail for an affordable $429 and are fun to own, and to design. The online bike builder tool allows consumers to customize the bikes with three different sizes, five different handlebar styles and thousands of color combinations. Single speed and fixed gear bikes have become the ultimate chic in today’s urban jungle. You’ve seen the way that bike messengers glide effortlessly in and out of traffic in a show of defiance and freedom amongst the stagnating lines of endless cars shackled to the grind of the daily commute. Whether you are new to bike commuting or are a seasoned cyclist, Big Shot’s bikes will allow you to finally break free of the daily grind with the ultimate in riding experiences.
• MSRP: $429.00
Sierra Designs Cal 30 with DriDown sleeping bag
Stuffed with the game-changing, hydrophobic DriDown insulation for superior warmth and loft in both wet and dry environments, the ultralight, 800-fill men’s Cal 30° is go-anywhere, sleep-everywhere warm-weather sleeping bag ideal for weight-conscious backpackers. Featuring InsoTect Flow vertical baffles, an ultralight jacket-style hood, 40” zipper, and 10D nylon ripstop shell and liner, the Cal 30° shaves weight while remaining warm and comfortable… even in damp, humid environments. Feathery light, the Cal 30° weighs a scant 1-lb, 3-oz and is EN-test rated to 30° F.
• Patented vertical baffle construction
• Ergonomically shaped footbox
• Ultralight Jacket Hood™
• Thermally efficient 40 in. zipper
• Snag-free zipper tracks
• Zipper draft tube
• Draw cord at collar with captured cordlock
• MSRP: $399.00
Easton Rimrock 2P
Easton Rimrock 2P is the ideal three-season shelter where space, weight and stability meet. The Easton Rimrock series delivers cavernous internal space with vertical sidewalls and wide-open headroom for maximum livability. Large dual doors with one-hand open zippers offer easy entry with plenty of protected storage space in each vestibule. Two-stage fly opening tie-offs deliver unmatched ventilation without flapping in the wind. The 4-pole frame design works together with an integrated Tension-Band over the doorway to increase the stability and structural integrity.
• Packaged Weight : 5lbs 5oz / 2.4kg
• Trail Weight: 4lbs 14oz / 2.22kg
• Capacity: 2-Person
• Rating: 3-Season
• Pack Size: 23 x 7in / 58.4 x 17.8cm
• Floor Area: 35sqft / 3.25sqm
• Vestibule Area: 18sqft / 1.67sqm
• Head Height: 45in / 114.3cm
Kelty Mach 4
Campsite comfort and convenience is the name of the game with the AirPitch™ Mach 4 tent. By replacing traditional poles with inflatable AirPoles, these out-sized shelters pitch in under a minute with an included high volume, dual-action floor pump. AirPoles are rigid yet flexible and won’t bend or break like traditional poles. An integrated, fully-vented rainfly further simplifies set-up while removable “sleep rooms” add versatility. Sleep rooms are fully enclosed with a large door and abundant mesh for convenience and comfort. Cavernous, zippered vestibules provide ample storage and a protected space to escape the weather. And when it’s time to go home, just pull the plug and the AirPitch™ takes itself down.
• Taped floor seams
• Internal storage pockets
• Noiseless zipper pulls
• Hanging sleep room
• Enclosed vestibule
• Easily accessible AirPole access
• Double zipper door opens wide for easy access and awning functionality
• Large central screened in area for dining and relaxing
• Double action pump included
• Taped seams
• High and low fly vents
• Noiseless zipper pulls
• Guyout points
• Guyline storage pockets
• Weight- 20 pounds, 1 ounce
• Sleep Room Floor Area- 50.35 square feet
• Vestibule Area- 50.5 square feet
• Dimensions- 120 x 108 x 74”
• MSRP: $399.00
Big Agnes Lone Spring 3 tent
The Lone Spring series was designed with weekend backpackers, cash-strapped college kids and camping families in mind. We wanted a tent line that could march off to Philmont, get used and abused on the weekends or offer refuge on a solo getaway. The single door construction and durable fabrics ensure versatile, affordable tents built without sacrificing Big Agnes quality or our lifetime support.
• Single door and vestibule
• Storm flaps on vestibule zipper
• Reflective guylines and webbing on tent corners
• Fly and floor are polyester rip-stop
• Fly and floor have 1500mm waterproof polyurethane coating
• Tent body is polyester rip-stop and polyester mesh
• All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (No PVC or VOC's)
• DAC pole system with press fit connectors and lightweight hubs
• Plastic clips attach tent body to pole frame
• Hub pole design
• 9 lightweight aluminum hook stakes
• Three interior mesh pockets
• Gear Loft loops included. Fits SQUARE gear sold separately - $22
• Footprint sold separately
• Fast Fly setup available
• MSRP: $249.95
YETI Tundra 45
I love the cooler and I am betting dad will as well. The design is great, it keeps ice and it will last. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a cooler for a lifetime or one that can take some serious abuse. Perfect for guides, rafters, weekend warriors and anyone else who wants a tough and great cooler, I say buy.
• One-piece, roto-molded construction is extremely durable just like a whitewater kayak.
• T-Rex Lid Latches, with patent-pending technology and molded-in keepers, keep your lid securely closed and are built to last.
• The YETI ColdLock Gasket minimizes unwanted air exchange, locking out heat while sealing in cold.
• NeverFail Hinge System includes a full-length, integrated hinge that is selfstopping and will not break.
• FatWall Design features extra-thick walls designed to house added insulation for maximum ice retention
• BearFoot Non-Slip Feet, are made from non-marking rubber and help keep your cooler where you put it and up off of hot surfaces.
• AnchorPoint Tie-Down Slots are molded into cooler body for solid mounting
• DoubleHaul Handles, with textured grips and marine-grade nylon rope, make carrying a loaded cooler easier for two people.
• Integrated LipGrip Handles make solo carrying easier, save valuable space, and won’t get in the way.
• Vortex Drain System has a screw-in, gasketed drain plug that allows for easy draining while partially opened and guarantees leak-proof reliability.
• BullDog Strap Guides allow for your cooler to be securely racheted down while being hauled or transported.
• Constructed of food-grade material that is Dry Ice Compatible™ and UV-resistant.
• Integrated padlock ports make it easy to bear-proof your YETI®
• MSRP: $299.99
AKU SL Sintesi GTX
The SL Sintesi GTX is designed for serious hikers who are looking for a precision fit, lightweight construction, stability and protection on variable terrain. The precision lacing system extends to the toe for a more precise fit. The IMS-1 Internal Midsole System in this boot features an anatomically-shaped lasting board with an internal 5mm layer of EVA for a broken-in fit and reduced weight. This sole also keeps the hiker low to the ground and weight is evenly distributed. The suede upper features rubber heel and toe protection and the Vibram Mulaz outsole features a climbing zone at the toe for precision. The SL Sintesi GTX also has a Gore-Tex lining for moisture control.
• Upper - Suede 1.8 mm
• Upper Protection Rubber rand
• Lining - GORE -TEX ® Performance Comfort
• Outsole - Vibram ® Mulaz
• Midsole - Triple density die cut EVA
• Lasting Board - 6-4 mm nylon + die cut EVA (Medium)
• Footbed - Custom Fit IMS 162
• Weight: 19.4 oz.
• MSRP: $249.00
Salomon Quest 4D GTX
Salomon used their most advanced trail running technologies when designing this backpacking boot. What you get is an extra light backpacking boot with great stability and comfort. Leather and nylon mesh uppers offer flexibility, breathability and lightweight comfort and add a seam-sealed Gore-Tex membrane to offer great protection from moisture.
• Weight: 550grams/ 19.4oz (women’s size 7), 650grams/ 22.9oz (men’s size 9)
• Upper: protective rubber heel cap, protective rubber toe cap, optimized fit for women, heel foam, gusseted tongue, waterproof nubuck leather.
• Lining construction: waterproof bootie construction, Gore-Tex® membrane
• Sole Construction
• Midsole: Molded EVA
• Outsole: Non-marking Contagrip®
• Sockliner: OrthoLite®
• Chassis: 4D Advanced Chassis™
• MSRP: $230.00
Fishpond's Westwater Boat Bag
The TPU welded fabric and water resistant, durable zippers keep water out no matter how torrential the downpour is. Take this boat bag out with you whether you're chasing bass in Midwest lakes or trout down Western rivers to ensure all your gear stays safe and dry. With adjustable compartments inside, you can customize how you organize your gear. And the convenient shoulder strap tightens down to secure it along with the lash points to ensure it stays in place for a long day on the water.
• TPU welded fabric construction
• YKK #10 water resistant zippers with oversize rubber pulls - Signature Fishpond molded top and bottom for quick access - Fully adjustable strap for shoulder or top carry
• Three clear interior zippered pouches
• Adjustable Velcro® divider system
• Four heavy duty boat lash tie down points
• Dual hemostat/knife/tippet accessory attachments
• MSRP: $219.95
Soundmatters’ DASH7 Soundbar
Soundmatters’ new DASH7 über-flat ¾ inch-high wireless pocket-portable Bluetooth soundbar speaker system and speakerphone provides a huge sounding wide dynamic range omnidirectional sound in a thin size that doesn’t block the iPad’s view. Sliding into the slimmest jacket pocket, the DASH7 soundbar/speakerphone features a new 5th generation twoofer and BassBattery for true high-fidelity sound and an angled stand for direct on-axis high resolution music for a great soundstage with better stereo separation for serious music listeners. Sleek and sexy and available in vibrant red, arctic white, midnight black, and steel silver, DASH7 provides world-class sound for iPads, smartphones, laptops, guitars and more in a pocket-sized package.
• Extended‐range wireless stereo Bluetooth plus Aux‐in connections proprietary dual passive radiator system
• State‐of-the-art audio foxL performance, ultimate portability ‐ weighs only 7.1 oz. (201 g)
• Hides below tablets, 3/4" (18mm) tall, aimed up for omnidirectional sound or direct‐aimed using the included stand/travel case for critical listening
• Patented Bass-Battery provides extended bass for up to 12 hours battery life (or more)
• Speakerphone/conferencing via built‐in noise-canceling microphone
• Sub Output for optional foxLO™ subwoofer
• MSRP: $249.00
Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1
The rescueME PLP1 is world’s smallest personal locator beacon. Developed and manufactured in the UK, the rescueME PLB1 is typically 30% smaller than other PLBs*, with dimensions of 77mm (height), 51mm (width) and 32.5mm (depth) and weighing 116g. All that is required to activate the PLB is for the antenna to be extended, the protective cover flipped up and the button pressed. The retractable antenna and flip-up cover have been specifically designed to prevent inadvertent use. When activated, the rescueME PLB1 will transmit accurate position data from its 66 channel GPS, using the designated 406MHz search and rescue satellite communication system, as well as transmitting a 121.5MHz homing beacon which will be received by search and rescue helicopters or vessels for a minimum of 24 hours while the integrated strobe light ensures maximum visibility. As with all Ocean Signal products, battery life has been a primary consideration in the development of the rescueME PLB1 with the product’s seven-year battery life reflected in the seven-year warranty.
• 30% smaller (typ) by volume
• Easily fits in lifejacket
• Retractable Antenna
• 7 Year Battery Life
• 7 year warranty
• High brightness strobe light >1candela
• 66 channel GPS receiver
• Unique mounting clip and flotation pouch
• MSRP: $369.00