Fall is a great time to see the beautiful colors of changing leaves or being able to sit by a fire on a cool night. If you like solitude while doing those two things, backpacking is the solution. You can now get further into the woods or mountains and have the wilderness to yourself or a few friends. This guide is all about great backpacking gear for women. We found some great finds and hope that you enjoy them as well.
Gramicci Aiden Long Sleeve
On the surface, the Aiden Long Sleeve appears to be just another great basic long sleeve tee. On the contrary, the Aiden was constructed with backpacker specific details to be your new best friend while out on a hike, camping or climbing. Shoulder seams are carefully placed to prevent discomfort while wearing any pack with straps. The extended hem length eliminates riding up while backpacking or climbing. The Aiden is also perfect for every day long wear based on color and comfort alone. Gramicci's NPT-Natural Performance Technology Senna fabric is made from pesticide and herbicide free durable hemp and certified organic cotton. DT-Double Traverse stitch regulates body temperature, fast wicking and drying; odor resistant - virtually eliminating body odor from the garment.
• Dream Fit: Slim fit, close to body, fitted shape.
• Backpacker shoulder seams are placed forward eliminating discomfort
• Longer curved hem eliminates riding up while backpacking or climbing
• Shoulder stitch detailing
• Anti-microbial virtually eliminating body odor from the garment.
• Solid hemp and organic cotton jersey
• Wash separately in cold water before wearing
• 55% Hemp, 45% Certified Organic Cotton
• MSRP: $29.00
Royal Robbins Trailblazer Pants
The Trailblazer Pant can get you there, with performance attributes aplenty tied to precise style lines that surprise with their simple elegance. Its Brush Back Polyester fabric blends polyester, a Teflon finish that’s DWR and a touch of spandex. It’s also UPF 50+. Yarns on this fabric plus a Teflon finish provide excellent abrasion and water resistance. Brushed yarns on the back side create a warm insulating layer and a small amount of spandex allows for stretch and range of motion.
• 5 oz., 97% Polyester/3% Spandex
• DWR Finish
• UPF 50+
• Adjustable hem
• Logo snap closure
• Brushed tricot inside waistband
• Zip secured front pocket
• Zip secured pocket on leg
• Logo rivet detail at back belt loop
• Trim fit
• Contemporary rise
• Boot cut
• MSRP: $85.00
Darn Tough Women's Boot Sock Full-Cushion
Darn Tough uses high density cushioning to surround the entire foot and shin. To insure a proper fit, they use custom shrink treated Merino wool and ribbing above the ankle. The socks have reinforced heel and toe and elastic support around the arch. Ring toe construction for a comfortable invisible seam.
• 69% Merino Wool, 27% Nylon, 4% Lycra® Spandex
• MSRP: $23.00
LOWA's All Terrain Collections are perennial favorites for day hiking and short-haul, weekend backpacking because they're phenomenally comfortable, supportive and cushioned. The Renegade, is no exception. It sports a new Monowrap Evo comfort construction for an even lighter, sleeker profile with a more supportive stabilizer. The slightly stiffer nylon shank provides enhanced performance for hikers who tackle more rugged terrain. Built on an exclusive, LOWA women's last for optimal fit and comfort.
• Nubuk leather.
• PU Monowrap® Frame, a new, patented construction technique that allows us to reduce overall boot weight while retaining important lateral stability.
• Seamless, waterproof GORE-TEX® lining reduces hot spots. A LOWA patented design.
• Vibram® Evo.
• Full length nylon shank
• Climate control footbed with comfort perforations to improve breathability.
• MSRP: $220.00
Patagonia Capilene 4 Expedition Weight ¼-Zip Hoody
Capilene 4 Expedition Weight products will now utilize Polartec Power Dry High Efficiency fabrics starting with the Fall 2012 season. By exaggerating the gaps between pillars on the back of the fabric, the breathability of the fabric is enhanced, as is the compressibility and warmth-to-weight ratio. The new Capilene 4 Expedition Weight is light enough to wear very comfortably next to skin, warmer than expected based on weight, and like all Polartec Power Dry fabrics, it utilizes a bi-component construction designed to pull moisture in one direction - away from the body - and then disperse it to the surface for quick drying performance. The new fabric is 91% polyester/9% spandex, with great stretch and recovery.
• Polartec Power Dry High Efficiency fabric is designed with a smooth jersey face for easy layering
• Open grid next to skin provides superior warmth, breathability and moisture-wicking performance
• Spandex added for stretch and ease of movement
• Self-fabric hood with anatomic shaping and high-collar for added coverage and warmth
• Elongated center-front zipper allows deep venting
• Left chest zipper pocket for easy storage
• Integrated thumb loops for secure coverage
• 3.7-oz Polartec® Power Dry® High Efficiency™ 91% polyester (30% recycled)/9% spandex, with Gladiodor® odor control for the garment
• 204 g (7.2 oz)
• MSRP: $119.00
Montane Featherlite Down Jacket
This fall Montane releases its Featherlite Down Jacket, which weighs in at just 14.3 ounces and stuffs down to the size of a large orange. Exceptionally light, this jacket is highly versatile for year round mountain activities and can be worn as a mid-layer when moving quickly in cold conditions or as outer insulation on cool evenings at camp. Designed as an ultra light, highly compressible mountain jacket, the Featherlite Down Jacket will hardly be noticed while stowed away with the rest of your gear. Constructed with PERTEX Quantum fabric shell, the jacket is 100% windproof and has superior water resistance. The jacket’s liner is made of PEAQ Down, which is comfortable next to the skin and is both highly breathable and fast drying
• Fabric: PERTEX® Quantum Rip-stop
• Filling: 750+ down fill
• Lining: Ultra soft PEAQ® Down
• MSRP: $269
Rab Kinetic Jacket
The new and improved Rab Kinetic Jacket is made from a super lightweight 2.5 layer Pertex Shield Plus 15D fabric. It’s the minimalist rain piece that is designed to be packed into a tiny corner of your pack and only get pulled out in an emergency. But emergency or not, the Kinetic Jacket is soft, breathable and extremely comfortable to wear for long durations while trying to get away from the storm. It is fully waterproof, features a helmet compatible hood, and 2 –zipped mesh-pockets that can be left open if additional ventilation if needed. The left pocket doubles as a stuff sack.
• Helmet compatible hood, kitty clip roll down closure
• YKK Aquaguard® front zip, double internal storm flaps
• 2 YKK zipped welted, mesh lined A-line pockets, left side doubles as integrated stuff sack Velcro® cuffs, half hem drawcord
• Laminated pocket bags and hem
• Reflective trim
• Fit: Regular
• Weighs: 8 oz
• MSRP: $185.00 USD
Deuter Aircontact 60+ 10 SL
The Aircontact 60+10 SL is designed for women or individuals with shorter torso lengths. This volume of pack is ideal for weekends-plus backpacking trips or travel of all kinds. This heavyweight hauling pack has unique features like a pivoting hip belt, removable rain cover, and a u-shaped front panel access. Aircontact packs offer a comfortable suspension system, durable fabrics and construction to put up with major on and off trail-abuse.
• Weight: 5 lbs 15 oz
• Volume: 3660 cubic inches - 60 litre
• Size: 33 / 15 / 11 (H x W x D) Inch
• Material: Deuter-Duratex
• MSRP: $269.00
Kelty Vista 2 Tent
Kelty’s Vista tent is all about versatility. Mesh doors and mesh wall panels keep air circulating during warm weather and velcro closed for cooler temps and overnights in the sandy desert. Two main poles combine with two brow poles to create nearly vertical walls for tons of interior space.
• Freestanding design
• Color Coded Clip Construction
• Taped floor seams
• Closable mesh door panels
• Gear-loft included
• Internal storage pockets
• Jake's Foot pole attachment
• Noiseless zipper pulls
• Seasons: 3
• Number of doors: 2
• Number of vestibules: 2
• Packaged weight: 6 lb 10 oz / 3.01 kg
• Floor area: 37 ft2 / 3.44 m2
• Vestibule area: 10 ft2 + 10 ft2 / 0.9 m2 + 0.9 m2
• MSRP: $269.95
Sierra Design Women's DriDown Eleanor 20 Hi
Shaped to better fit the female form with additional 600-fill insulation for enhanced warmth, the award-winning Eleanor 20 combines all the benefits of a down sleeping bag- light weight, compressibility, warmth- with the camp-anywhere performance of DriDown. Simply put, DriDown represents the evolution of down insulation. Regular down is treated with a molecular level polymer to create a hydrophobic finish on each individual down plume. This finish allows DriDown to stay dry longer, loft better, and dry faster than regular down, keeping you warmer in any environment.
• Women's specific construction & warmth rating
• Snag-free zipper tracks
• Draw cord at collar
• Draft collar
• Easy access, ventable, 60 inch zipper
• Zipper draft tube
• Ergonomic hood and footbox
• Includes stuff and storage sacks
• MSRP: $299.95
Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core:
The first sleeping pad to offer quilted construction designed to mimic your home mattress, offering a more comfortable support system. Weighing only 25oz, the light and compact pad features X-Static all natural, synthetic insulation which provides warmth, antimicrobial and anti-odor properties. Available in four sizes. .
• The most comfortable pads on the planet
• Light and compact three season pads at 3.5”/9cm thick for extra comfort
• Estimated R-Value of 5
• X-Static synthetic insulation with the natural performance of silver filament to enhance thermodynamic, anti-microbial and anti-odor properties
• Alternating I-Beam construction creates a smoother, more comfortable feel
• Durable, light-weight nylon rip-stop top and bottom
• Internal polyurethane coating
• Add a closed cell foam pad in colder temperatures for extra insulation
• Durable inflation valve
• Store unrolled with valve open
• Includes stuff sack and repair kit. The repair kit is in a small pocket on the inside end of the stuff sack. It's sort of hidden, so look twice.
• Each pad individually inflated and tested
• For complete specs and to compare all pad models, see our Pad Specs Chart at the left, under Tips & Resources
• MSRP $119.95-$179.95
New Wave Stainless Steel Food Container
The New Wave Stainless Steel Food Container is perfect for any backpacker who lives by the “Leave No Trace” motto. This container can carry food, supplies or other essentials while backpacking. You can also cook it in, so you don’t have to carry heavy pots and pans.
• Seriously Safe!
• A no leach, no chemicals, no toxins product
• Fits perfectly in your lunchbox
• Reusable forever!
• Taste the food no the container
• #304 Food Grade Stainless Steel
• Dimensions: 6" x 4.5" x 2"
Discovery Trekking Extreme Ultralite backpacking towels
This towel is a must-have for serious backpackers. The Extreme Ultralight is 34" x 28" and weighs under 3 ounces, so you can still carry a towel large enough for swimming or bathing! These pack into very small spaces. If you are one of those "crazy" minimalists, they also make an even smaller version, Weighing approx. 1.3 oz, it's approx. 19" square, and serves as towel, neck, or headgear.
• Lightweight towel that is ideal for Backpacking, Outdoor Enthusiasts, and Travel
• Odor-resistant technology discourages mold and musty smell associated with other towels
• Dries in Minutes, fabric stays soft, High UV Protection
• Durable fabric, easy care machine wash and dry
• Ultralite 34" x 28": $19.95 USD
• Ultralite Mini 19" x 19": $14.95 USD
Sea To Summit Ultra-Sil View Dry Sack
You will love the award winning Ultra-Sil Dry Sack with a clear TPU window to easily view the contents inside. This makes it so you can now see the content in your dry sack so you don’t have to open each one to see what is inside. The TPU window is RF-welded into the side panels of the dry sack. The RF welding produces a bond as strong as the materials being joined.
• Ultra-Sil® 30D siliconized high-tenacity Cordura® nylon fabric for exceptional strength
• Ultra-Sil® fabric has a 2,000mm waterhead
• Hypalon® roll top closure does not wick moisture
• Polyurethane coated and fully seam sealed for water resistance
• Reinforced stitching for greater seam strength onall stress points
• Super compact and ultra lightweight
• Round base design in all sizes
• Use: backpackers, cycling touring, travelers
• MSRP $15.95 - $44.95
L.L. Bean Trailblazer 4 LED Headlamp
Weighing in at only 2.7 ounces with batteries, this compact headlamp is now even brighter. It's the ideal choice for backpacking and it fits into your pocket with ease. Operates up to 146 hours on low setting with three AAA batteries. Choose from four settings: low, medium, high or flashing. Four LEDs throw a whopping 70 lumens of light on high setting. Large power button is easy to use even with gloves on.
• Superbright and superlight headlamp
• Four LEDs produce 70 lumens of bright light
• Runs up to 146 hours on low setting
• MSRP: $24.95
The MicroRocket carries small but burns big. More compact than the original PocketRocket, it fits easily inside an MSR Insulated Mug, and sheds 12 grams (.4 ounces) of weight. MSR also boosted the stability of the pot supports, while maintaining a robust, wind-resistant flame with WindClip protection. Includes a hand-held Piezo igniter.
• Compact: Packs exceptionally small, fitting into an MSR Insulated Mug.
• Ultra-light: Weighs just 75 grams (2.6 ounces)
• Strong: Extra-stout folding pot supports deliver improved stability
• Wind-Resistant: Focused burner head pushes to a persistent, solid flame.
• MSRP: $59.95
UCO Clarus LED Lantern
The new UCO Clarus LED Lantern is a collapsible and compact light that can function as a flashlight or a lantern. The UCO Clarus LED Lantern is the brightest lantern of its size with 150 lumens of light in a four-ounce (including battery weight) multi-use package. The frosted globe of the Clarus LED Lantern provides diffused light that is easy to read or work by and it easily slides up for lantern mode and down for flashlight mode. The light levels adjust from mid to bright to dim depending on your needs, and can be set to strobe for emergency situations. Powered by three AAA batteries, the Clarus LED Lantern provides up to 70 hours of light. The lantern features a durable base that functions as a stand in lantern mode and a hook for hanging the light in tents, trees or wherever else you need to place it for convenient lighting. Highly water resistant and rugged, the Clarus LED Lantern contains a super bright XP-E R3 CREE LED with a beam projection of up to 164 feet. With only a 2-inch diameter, the Clarus LED Lantern collapses from 6.5 inches in lantern mode to 4.5 inches in flashlight mode, offering a small footprint in a backpack, purse, or emergency kit.
• Collapsible lantern is rugged, water resistant, and easy to transport.
• Frosted globe slides up for lantern mode and down for flashlight mode.
• Bright XP-E R3 CREE LED provides a diffused white light, in lantern mode, up to 150 lumens.
• Durable, plastic base with on/off button.
• On/off button switches light levels from mid to bright to dim light to conserve batteries or strobe for emergeny situations.
• Includes a hook for hanging.
• Battery Life—up to: 70 hours
• Beam Projection: 164 feet (50 m)
• Bulb Type: Super bright XP-E R3 CREE LED
• Highly water resistant: IPX 6
• Dimensions—open: 6.5″ high x 2″ diameter (16.5 cm x 5.1 cm)
• Dimensions—closed: 4.5″ high x 2″ diameter (11.4 cm x 5.1 cm)
• Weight (w/ batteries): 4.0 oz. (112 g)
• MSRP of $19.99
Mountaineers Books Cairns: Messengers in Stone
Writing messages with rocks is an ancient gesture that continues to speak to our imaginations. From meadow trails to airy mountaintops and wide open desert, cairns—those seemingly random stacks of rock—are surprisingly rich in stories and meaning. For thousands of years cairns have been used by people to connect to the landscape and communicate with others, and are often an essential guide to travelers. These manmade rock piles can indicate a trail, mark a grave, serve as an altar or shrine, reveal property boundaries or sacred hunting grounds, and even predict astronomical activity. The Inuit have more than two dozen terms to describe cairns and their uses! In Cairns: Messengers in Stone, geologist and acclaimed nature writer David Williams (Stories in Stone: Travels through Urban Geology) explores the history of cairns from the moors of Scotland, the pathways of Iceland, all the way to the peaks of the Himalaya—where they come from, what they mean, why they’re used, how to make them, and more. Hikers, climbers, travelers, gardeners, and nature buffs alike will delight in this quirky, captivating collection of stories.
• 192 pages
• 5 ½ x 7 ½
• 12 B&W illustrations
• MSRP: $15.95