This is a great guide for those looking to find some great new gear this Fall. This guide has items for both the penny pincher type as well as for those who like the best of the best. But no matter which one you are, the gear in this guide will help you get down the road. With winter fast approaching it is time to get out and enjoy the cool fall air.
Alpinizmo Lightning 50
The Lightning 50 backpack is a great choice for someone who is looking for a solid backpack without breaking the bank. The body is made of black 600D high performance polyester with top and bottom compartments that are separated by a draw-string shelf that when open becomes a single compartment rucksack. The top lid has an external zippered compartment, accessed from the back. There is also a draw-string cover over the main compartment with a deep vertical zippered compartment on each side of the pack. Lightning 50’s back panel sports a “vario”adjustment system that will fit a user from a small size up to large.
• 1 Toplid Pocket
• 2 Side Compression Straps
• Side Pockets
• Ice Axe holder
• Hydration compatabile
• Pre bended suspension alu bar
• Eva foam – Shoulder Straps
• Chest Belt
• Air channel Vario System
• 2 compartments
• Main Compartment with divider and 2 zippers
• Capacity ; 3050 cbi
• Weight : 3.4 lbs
• Materials : 420D Diamond Rip stop Nylon PU, 600D polyester PU & 1000D PU Bottom
• MSRP: $148.00
Ribz Front Pack
Are you always looking for more room when backpacking or just want some things up front where they are easily accessible? Then you’ve got to try the water-resistant RIBZ front pack made with durable 210d CORDURA® Lite fabric. All components are water resistant and have proven durability in the most extreme of conditions. With an average storage capacity between 600 and 800 cubic inches, you can comfortably carry up to 10 pounds in the front packs. The use of a front pack repositions a portion of your weight forward which reduces your overall shoulder stress and increases comfort, mobility and balance. A front pack also creates the illusion of carrying a lighter load. RIBZ front pack can be used alone as a vest but is primarily designed to work with your existing backpack as increased functionality.
• Easy Access - Keep your essential gear in a fast and easy to reach location.
• Weight Distribution - By more evenly distributing your weight, RIBZ create a more comfortable pack configuration.
• Function - Centralize the essentials. Save time packing for every trip and eliminating constant retrieval from your backpack.
• Capacity: 500+ Cu In
• 210 Ripstop
• Weight: 9 oz.
• MSRP: $59.95
SD Zissou 15 Sleeping Bag with DriDown
Designed to excel in a variety of overnight situations, the Zissou 15 will keep you warm and cozy wherever you camp. Stuffed with 600-fill DriDown™ insulation, the Zissou 15 stays drier 7 times longer, lofts higher, and dries faster in the presence of humidity, rain, or sweat. Simply put, DriDown represents the evolution of down insulation. Regular down is treated with a molecular level polymer to create a hydrophobic finish on each individual down plume. Also available in 0- and 30-degree models.
• Ergonomically shaped footbox
• Snag-free zipper tracks™
• Draw cord at collar
• Draft collar
• Ergonomic hood
• Zipper draft tube
• Pad locks
• Temp Rating: 15° / -9°C
• Shape: Mummy
• Size Regular:
• Fits to: 6 ft / 183 cm
• Length: 78 in / 198 cm
• Zipper Side: Left
• Shoulder girth: 62 in / 157 cm
• Hip girth: 58 in / 147 cm
• MSRP: $259
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm
For extremely cold, alpine nights the NeoAir XTherm offers the best possible combination of warmth (R-Value 5.7), light weight (15 oz), compressibility (pack size is 9 x 4 in., regular size). No need to pair this air mattress with a closed cell mattress on snow, it will keep you super toast on its own.
• Extremely Warm: Four layers of reflective material recycle body heat and create air pockets that reduce convective heat loss.
• Comfortable: 2.5-inch thickness and patent-pending Triangular Core Matrix™ construction provides unrivaled stability and comfort.
• Highly Packable: Low-bulk materials make the XTherm™ mattress compact and as packable as a water bottle.
• Lightweight: Advanced materials and a tapered design reduce weight without compromising warmth.
• Price: $189.95, size regular
The Chrome Jacket is a Primaloft® Laminate lined NeoShell® piece that is a synergistic combination of the best waterproof-breathable technology with the best synthetic loft insulator. The result is a fully stretch insulation jacket that moves with your body with minimal restriction, no cold spots and maximum wind and water protection. NeoShell® is totally waterproof and air-permable, making it the clear winner as the "hot" fabric of the year. 100% made in Vancouver.
• Stowaway Storm Hood - The 3-point adjustable hood is roomy yet nicely compact comfortably into the gusseted collar when not needed. Bungee cord on each side of the hood and a third in back simply adjust with one-handed ease, keeping your other hand ready for the unexpected.
• 2 Hand pockets - Lined hand pockets for relief from the frigid cold.
• 1 Napoleon pocket - provide easy access to crucial gear. Stash your essential items in the conveniently located chest pocket.
• High collar with Velour lined chin-guard - Provides comfort and protection from the elements for your neck and face.
• Velcro cuff closure - Keeps snow, wind, and rain from creeping in right at the wrists.
• Internal media pocket - Easy to access pocket keeps your MP3 player, iPhone, or other valuables secure and dry.
• MSRP: $550.00
GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Dualist
“Ultimate, Integrated Cooking + Eating Solution” I love this tagline. The Dualist has a crushproof, heat-resistant, nylon lid and silicone ring will not deform in packs and includes an integrated strainer. Convenient folding handle locks into place for cooking and secures entire set for transport, eliminating the need for a stuff sack. Plus the unique bowl + mug solution with low center of gravity and Sip-It virtually eliminates spills while the integrated insulating sleeve keeps your drinks hot. And the ingenious, welded stuff sack holds set while traveling and doubles as a sink or wash basin in camp.
• 1.8 L Pot, Strainer Lid
• 2 20 fl. oz. insulated mugs
• 2 20 fl. oz. bowls
• 2 Sip-It tops
• 2 Telescoping Foons
• Stove Bag
• Welded Sink
• MSRP $64.95
Olicamp Kinetic Ultra Titanium Stove
The world’s lightest stove packs serious firepower. The large burner, pot supports and the gas stem are all made of ultra-‐light titanium. With its wide titanium burner the Olicamp Kinetic is as versatile a stove as it is light. The machined aluminum valve shaves weight and is easy to grasp even with gloved hands. This amazing little stove comes with a polycarbonate carry case for transport and storage. Fits universal screw-‐on valve fuel canisters of Butane/Propane mixtures.
• Weight: 48g/1.7 oz.
• Size: 2.5” x 2.6”
• Ignition: Manual
• Output: 9,620 BTU
• Boil Time: 3 min 30 seconds
• Fuel Type: Canister (fuel sold separate)
• MSRP: Stove - $49.95 KINETIC Ti + XTS Stove Combo - $69.95
AKU La Stria Lite GTX
This boot might not be for those backpacking trips that you are carrying 50+ pounds but it is a great boot. This boot is ideally suited for intense, energetic hiking and medium length fast-paced treks while carrying a lighter light load. The La Stria Lite GTX trekking boot delivers comfort with exceptional breathability. These boots feel good right out of the box.
• Upper - Air Infinity + suede + PU Slow Memory Foam 1.8 mm
• Lining Description - Sanifit
• Outsole - Vibram® Plume Hiking EVA
• Midsole - double density EVA
• Lasting Board - 6-4 mm nylon + die cut EVA (Medium Stiff)
• Footbed - Custom Fit IMS 162
• MSRP: $229.00
I have had this knife for a few months now and absolutely love it. You don’t hear me say that very often. But I would recommend this knife to anyone. Tactically inspired, the Instant utilizes Gerber’s Assisted Opening 2.0 mechanism for easy, one-handed blade opening. The thumb plunge unlocks the three-and-a-half-inch blade for safe closure. Layers of G-10 composite are textured and shaped to make an ultra-light, ultra-tactile handle. It’s a sleek clip folder made for everyday use.
• Assisted Opening 2.0 Mechanism
• Thumb Plunge Lock
• G-10 Composite Handle
• MSRP: $49.00
Solio's New Classic2 Solar Charger
Solio's New Classic2 Solar Charger is compact and lightweight. Weighing in at just over 5 ounces, the Classic2 is easy to store at home or take it with you for charging on the go. Working as a solar charger and battery backup, the Classic2 harnesses the energy of the sun, or alternately the wall, to power thousands of USB powered devices, including cell phones, e-readers, cameras, GPS and more.
• 1 full CLASSIC2 battery provides the following power:
• 15 hours of Talk Time or 675 hours Standby Time based on iPhone 4
• 15 hours of Talk Time or 616 hours Standby Time based on Motorola Droid
• 11 hours of Talk Time or 3103 hours of Standby Time based on HTC EVO
• 137 hours of music or 24 hours of video based on iPod Touch 4th Gen
• 8 hours of operation based on Garmin Nuvi 850
• MSRP: $99.00
Fenix HL30 Headlamp
The HL30 features the Broad Beam System for pure light from side-to-side and top-to-bottom. In camp, hobby or work situations, HL30 illuminates the entire scene with unmatched clarity and consistency. On trail, snow or road, this 2 AA headlamp reaches deep for safer navigation. The integrated red light protects night vision while making map reading easy even under adverse conditions. Now, the darkest night is no match for 200 lumens at a value-conscious price.
• Max 200 lumen output from two AA batteries
• Six output options
• Fast dual-button switch + full-tilt ratcheting system
• Aluminum alloy and performance plastic body
• 3.1 ounce weight (excluding batteries & strap assembly)
• Headlamp strap, top headlamp strap, top mount and spare o-ring
• MSRP: $44.95
Aquamira Water bottle and replaceable filter
For Fall, Aquamira announces a redesigned water bottle with replaceable water filter. The new 25 oz. water bottle and filter now features a 100-gallon capacity CR-100 capsule filter and higher flow rate. Recent enhancements to the water bottle include a new ergonomic design, higher flow rate and new bite valve, making it the easiest and most comfortable filter bottle to use.
• Aquamira CR Filtration Technology™ is tested and certified to reduce chlorine, bad tastes and odors and remove >99.9%* of Giardia and Cryptosporidium.
• Activated coconut shell carbon water bottle filter (CR-100 Capsule Filter) treats 100 gallons of water, or 640 refills, while reducing organic contaminants and waterborne chemicals. It’s easy to install, and quick to remove. Replacement filters available.
• Miraguard™ Antimicrobial Technology suppresses the growth of bacteria, algae, fungus, mold and mildew within the filter media. Miraguard does not protect users against food borne or disease causing bacteria, viruses, germs or other disease causing organisms.
• Sport water filter bottle that’s ergonomically designed to fit comfortably in hand, cup holder, bicycle cages, or attach onto backpacks.
• Patented BITE-ME™ Valve provides a comfortable, no-leak mouthpiece.
• New features include higher flow rate, larger bottle capacity, new capsule style filter treats more water, “Finger-Grip” carry loop, and ultra-strong Tritan dust cap.
• MSRP: $29.95
A must have for camp sites and down time, the Pocket Disc is packable, fun and versatile. With more than 50 uses and counting, this soft frisbee alternative is much more than just a throwing disc. PocketDisc.com lists all the uses from hot pad to drink kookie. But for its intended use, a safe disc, it can't be beat. The sports Pocket disc flies up to 50 yards, won't hurt if it whacks you in the head, can be used inside the house, and if used as a play toy (not a chew toy) can be great for dogs too. All Pocket Discs are handmade and certified by the Fair Trade Federation to be produced under socially responsible conditions. Proceeds from sales have been used to install water filtration systems into the villages of the Mayan Indians of craft these flying works of art.
• Sports Edition: 8 inches in diameter and 3 ounces
• Indoor Edition: 7.25 inches in diameter and 1.75 ounces
• 100% cotton
• Fair Trade
• Hand Made
• Available in unlimited colors and patterns
• MSRP: $16.99 Sports Edition, $9.99 Indoor Edition