Spring is a great time to get out and enjoy the backcountry. We have rounded up some new gear for 2013 to help get you out the door and enjoying mother nature. We have found products that have been designed for women and not just "shrinked and pinked." We would also love to hear what your favorite backpacking gear is.
Kelty Fleet 55
Built for extended backcountry adventures, the Fleet 55 is a cool, comfortable, ventilating pack that handles a heavy load with ease. Kelty’s unique Agile suspension transfers pack weight efficiently to the hipbelt, saving your back and shoulders from bearing the weight. A suspended backpanel allows air to circulate freely while offering the added comfort of scapula and lumbar padding.
• Hydration compatible
• Top loading
• Sleeping bag compartment
• Front-panel access
• Stretch Mesh Waterbottle Pockets
• Side compression straps
• Load stabilizer straps
• Zippered waistbelt pockets
• Front pocket
• Map pocket
• Integrated pull-out rain cover
• Women's specific suspension
• Torso Fit Range: 14.5 - 18.5 in / 37 - 47 cm
• MSRP: $199.95
L.L.Bean Women's L.L.Bean Down Sleeping Bag with DownTek, Mummy 20°
L.L. Bean has now incorporated the use of the innovative and highly water-repellent DownTek 650-fill down that maintains its loft in wet conditions. This down is specially treated with an advanced nano technology that resists moisture, keeping the down lofted enough to trap heat and retain most of its insulating abilities. It also absorbs one-third the moisture and dries two-thirds faster than untreated down, making this sleeping bag a great choice for backcountry trips in damp climates. Besides being water resistant, the down features an outstanding warmth-to-weight ratio and is the most durable and long-lasting insulating material available for sleeping bags. A special baffle design keeps more insulation on the top and sides, where you need it most. Hood design provides excellent warmth, range of motion and adjustability Draft tube on zipper and hood prevents cold air from seeping in. Both exterior and interior shells of the bag are constructed of downproof ripstop nylon that has a soft, silky feel. Water-repellent coating on outer shell.
• Now with DownTek 650-fill down that retains its loft in wet conditions
• Baffle design keeps insulation in place to prevent cold spots
• Ideal for backpacking, bicycle touring or camping
• Weight 2 lb. 9 oz.
• Length 82".
• Width 34".
• MSRP: $229.00
Columbia Omni-Heat Sleeping Bag Liner
Are you heading out this Spring and know that the temperature might drop a bit colder at night? Or are you still cold most nights in your current sleeping bag? The Omni-Heat bag liner is designed to be a bonus boost of warmth inside your sleeping bag. It is super-soft and cozy and traps your body heat for supreme temperature regulation. It can also be used alone as a lightweight bedding during warmer weather.
• Omni-Heat thermal reflective lining traps your body heat while providing breathability
• Average weight: 10oz
• Regular inside length: 84”
• Stuff sack included
• 7.5” x 7” compression sack included
• Shell: 100% polyester
• Lining: 100% Omni-Heat thermal reflective tricot
• MSRP: $99.00
Royal Robbins Backcountry Zip N' Go Pant
Need a pair of convertibles that don’t mind getting grubby? The Backcountry Zip N’ Go pants fit the bill, made from tough yet soft and comfortable 3-Ply Laundered Supplex, which is lightweight, wrinkle resistant and doesn’t retain odor. Supplex® nylon is a textured fiber that delivers a soft cotton-like hand. Laundering enhances its comfortable feel without compromising strength. The Backcountry is also UPF 50+.
• 32" inseam only
• Regular fit / Classic rise / 9" short inseam
• Straight leg
• UPF 50+
• Zip secured pocket
• Cargo pockets
• Adjustable elastic tab at waist
• Gusseted crotch
• Double layer seat
• 3-Ply Laundered Supplex
• 4 oz., 100% Laundered Supplex® Nylon, UPF 50+
• MSRP: $80.00
Rab Women's Aeon Plus Tee
The Women's Aeon Plus Tee is a lightweight t-shirt made of soft polyester single jersey knit. It has flat locked seams for low bulk and a scooped neckline. It has been treated it with Polygiene Stay Fresh odor control so you can wear it longer without having to worry about it getting all funky. The Aeon Plus tee is comfortable and an ideal technical t-shirt for wearing while backpacking or hiking.
• Polyester single jersey knit
• Polygiene® STAY FRESH odor control treatment
• Flatlock low bulk seams
• Scooped neckline
• Fit: Regular
• MSRP: $40.00
Outdoor Research Whirlwind Hoody
A very light, highly breathable hoody that packs into its own pocket, the Whirlwind Hoody has the fit and feel of a favorite shirt, but offers the warmth and weather protection of a light technical pullover. Ultra-stretchy fabric means movement-mirroring fit. Foldover cuffs offer warmth for your hands on cold mornings, but are virtually unnoticeable when not in use.
• Fully Adjustable Hood
• Water Resistant
• Movement-Mirroring Stretch
• 1/4-Length Asymmetrical Front Zipper
• Fold-Over Mitt Cuffs
• MSRP: $89.00
Lowa Tibet LL WS
The men’s Tibet GTX has proven itself many times on the toughest treks all over the world and now returns with a new last providing more toe box room, a new midsole package and the addition of I-Core and I-Lock. The new BMW-leather lined version Tibet LL for women is built on an exclusive, LOWA women's last for optimal fit and comfort. Ideal for carrying heavy (50+ lbs.) packs in rugged terrain and extreme weather conditions. Tall ankle shaft, breathable with thoughtful design details for long distance comfort, support and stability.
• Nubuk leather.
• Glove leather lining.
• Perforations in the boot's lining allows air to enter, pumping heat and moisture back out.
• Patent pending tongue stud allows for better pressure distribution.
• Anatomically contoured to cradle the foot in comfort.
• Balance footbed with breathable top layer and slow reacting foam provides fit customization. Transports moisture away from the foot, minimizes friction and reduces fatigue.
• PU with SPS Dynamic - designed to help control over-pronation and supination, reducing fatigue and potential injury when covering long distances.
• Vibram Masai.
• 5mm nylon, full length and width with a PU layer for total support underfoot.
• Built on an exclusive, LOWA women's last for optimal fit and comfort.
• Strap-on crampon compatible.
• 9 inches tall.
• Handcrafted in Germany.
• MSRP: $350.00
Point6 Hiking Tech Medium Crew Sock
The Hiking Tech Medium Crew sock offers extra cushioning on the instep and around the leg to protect against pressure points from heavier footwear. The cozy wool cushioning next to the skin insulates the foot from hot spots, blisters and swamp foot.
• Cushions entire leg and foot
• Ideal for climbing a fourteener
• Durable 100% Compact Spun Merino Yarn
• Protective nylon shield for abrasion resistance
• Ultra smooth toe closures enhance fit
• MSRP: $19.95
Platypus GravityWorks 2.0L Complete Kit
The Complete Kit features a 2.0L Dirty collection reservoir with Quick Release fitting, hollow-fiber filter, hoses and a patent-pending Universal Bottle Adapter. The Universal Bottle Adapter is compatible with most water bottles, and also allows users to filter directly into hydration system drink tubes, re-filling reservoirs without needing to remove them from packs. The GravityWorks 2.0L Filter System simplifies backcountry water filtration. It’s easy; scoop up the dirty water, attach the appropriate adapter, hold the dirty bag above your hydration pack or bottle to quickly filter water directly into it. It’s incredibly fast, easy, is field maintainable with a four-second backflush to clean the filter and works with your system, the way you want it to.
• Easy, Pump-free filtering
• Fast! 1.5-liters per minute
• Weighs as little as 7.2 oz. (203 g)
• Backflushes in four seconds in any configuration you choose, maintaining optimal performance with no additional parts.
• Proprietary Platy™ zip opening makes collecting water easy.
• Effective: Meets all EPA & NSF guidelines for the removal of Bacteria and Protozoa, including Giardia, Cryptosporidium, E. coli, Salmonella and Cholera
• MSRP: $109.95
MSR Trail Lite Duo System
Perfect for 1-2 people who need the lightweight, space-saving benefits of a minimalist cook set yet don't want to be Spartan about what they cook. Hard-anodized nonstick aluminum keeps the menu open and the compact pot still fits two Insulated Mugs and DeepDish Bowls. All of this comes at an aggressive price point to maximize your assortment.
• Compact: Nesting design fits two DeepDish™ Bowls and Double-Wall Insulated Mugs inside pot.
• Sized for Two: Two-liter, hard-anodized aluminum pot keeps the weight down and provides plenty of capacity for two people.
• Ceramic Nonstick: The most durable nonstick coating we’ve ever found; PFOA and PTFE-free.
• BPA-Free: Hot and cold-safe polypropylene DeepDish™ bowls and double-wall insulated mugs.
• Room for More: Mugs have room for MSR® Folding Utensils and can also fit a PocketRocket™ or MicroRocket™ stove
• MSRP: $69.95
Coghlan’s Dynamo Flashlight
The Dynamo flashlight is small light and doesn't require batteries. The has 2 bright LEDs provide reliable lighting when around camp. Just crank it for one minute to get up to 30 minutes light. It doesn't get much easier than that.
• Features 2 bright LED lights
• Positive feeling ON/OFF switch
• Convenient key chain clip
• MSRP: $6.00
Alps Mountaineering Aries 2-Person Tent
The Aries is a great backpacking tent to take when you need a tent that is lightweight, reliable, and will hold up in the elements. Its unique pole system allows for ample internal room with nearly straight walls on each side. There is also sufficient headroom, thanks to the spreader bar above the doors. Comes with 2 doors so you’re not crawling over anyone to get out. With the mostly mesh walls, air will easily flow in and out of the tent when the fly isn’t required. When conditions are more extreme, the full coverage fly and two vestibules will keep you and your gear protected and dry.
• Free Standing Pole System with 7000 Series Aluminum Poles
• Top Cross Pole Allows More Head Room and Interior Space
• Great Ventilation with Mostly Mesh Walls
• Easy Assembly with Pole Clips that Quickly Snap Over the Tent Poles
• 75D 185T Polyester Fly Resists UV Damage and Stays Taut
• 75D 185T Poly Taffeta Floor with 3000mm Coating
• Factory Sealed Fly & Floor Seams Give Best Weather Protection
• Extra Large #8 Zippers on Doors and Vestibules
• Full Coverage Fly Offers Maximum Protection
• Extra Guy-Outs on Fly to Stabilize the Tent in Bad Weather
• 2 Vestibules for Gear Storage and Extra Weather Protection
• Weatherproof Fly Buckles on for Maximum Adjustability and Protection
• Mesh Roof Increases Ventilation and Improves Star Gazing
• Easy Entry with 2 Doors
• Mesh Storage Pocket, Gear Loft, 7075 Aluminum Stakes, Guy Ropes Included
• MSRP: $239.99
Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
Sky Bed takes hammock camping to a whole new level. Using an innovative asymmetric design, the Sky Bed provides an amazingly flat and comfortable relaxation space. The sleep space is defined by a silver parachute nylon sleeve, which will accommodate most any sleeping pad on the market. Using your sleeping pad in the Sky Bed provides thermal protection and helps to create the stunningly flat sleeping surface. The Sky Bed is made from super strong rip stop nylon, which is reinforced with webbing at all of the seams. Weighing in a only 23 oz and complete with 100 inches of 6mm climbing rope on each end, Sky Bed is a comfortable portable camping hammock.
• Unique asymmetrical design allows for an amazingly flat and comfortable sleeping space.
• Integrated sleeve designed to fit your 72" x 20" inflatable or foam sleeping pad, which adds both rigidity and insulation.
• Ripstop nylon hammock construction provides exception strength while parachute nylon silver sleeve accommodates most any pad.
• Built in suspension system -100" per side of super strong 6mm climbing rope included for easy set up on the go.
• All seams are reinforced with Nylon webbing.
• All Seams Reinforced With Nylon Webbing
• Strength Tested - 350 lbs - 175 kg
• Dimensions: 4'5" x 10'10"
• Weight: 23 oz
• MSRP: $94.95