Spring backpacking can be a great time to get out into the backcountry and have it all to yourselves before the summer rush. We have gathered some of our favorite picks for Spring 2013 and hope you find something that you like as well. We would love to hear from you if you have any other great suggestions for gear this spring.
Big Agnes Air Core SL
The all new Big Agnes Air Core SL is a super light version of the Insulated Air Core and features redesigned baffles for more comfort. Using ergonomically constructed air chambers that shape to your body, the Air Core SL has become one of our go-to pads for summer backpacking. Packing down smaller than your favorite book, these pads come in a variety of shapes and sizes to suit your needs.
• Superlight and compact summer pad, with 3.75" of comfort
• I-beam construction eliminates welded seams to reduce cold spots and ensures quick inflation/deflation, consistent air flow and stability
• Durable nylon rip-stop top and bottom
• Durable Inflation valve
• Internal heat reflective polyurethane coating
• Add a closed cell foam pad in colder temperatures for extra insulation
• Store unrolled with valve open
• Stuff sack and repair kit included. The repair kit is in a small pocket on the inside of the stuff sack. It's sort of hidden, so look twice!
• Each pad individually inflated and tested
• For complete specs and to compare all pad models, see our Pad Specs Chart at the left, under Tips & Resources
• Alternating I-Beam construction creates smoother, more comfortable feel.
• Ergonomic "V" shaped air chamber design conforms to your body.
• MSRP: $94.95 - $179.95
ENO DoubleNest Hammock
Have you ever thought it would be nice to just carry a hammock into the backcountry to sleep in? If so, you need to check out the DoubleNest from ENO. This hammock is big enough for two but sleeps one comfortably at night. The best part is it stuffs small and only weighs 20 ounces. You will also have a great place to take a nap when fishing is bad or the peak seems too far away.
• New! Aluminum Wiregate Carabiners
• 400lb Capacity
• Heavy Duty Triple Stitched Seams
• Breathable, Quick Drying Nylon
• Attached Compression Stuff Sack
• Weight 20 oz.
• Folded dimensions (Dia x L) 4" x 5"
• Unfolded dimensions (L x W) 9' 4" x 6' 2"
• MSRP: $69.95
Kelty Outfitter Pro 2
Simply designed, durable, and field-repairable, the Outfitter Pro is built to take a licking. A straightforward, two-pole construction combines with heavy-duty floor, oversized poles, and replaceable #10 zippers, making this shelter ideal for those of us lucky enough to spend more nights outdoors than in. Two doors and two vestibules ease access to the outdoors and help with gear storage.
• Freestanding design
• Color Coded Clip Construction
• Taped floor seams
• ArcEdge floor
• Mesh wall panels
• Internal storage pockets
• Noiseless zipper pulls
• Field repairable zipper
• Taped seams
• Side-release tent/fly connection
• Fly vents
• Noiseless zipper pulls
• Guyout points
• Guyline storage pocket
• Weight: 6-lbs, 6-oz
• MSRP: $249.00
Eureka! Amari Pass
The Amari Pass is an entry-level aluminum–framed backpacking tent that offers great performance at a reasonable price point. Featuring the V3 enhanced tent system for the ultimate in volume, venting & versatility, Amari Pass 2 offers a mesh tent body with end-entry to aid ventilation and lighten the load.
• Full V3 front vestibule provides venting, volume and versatility.
• The tent’s free standing and shockcorded frame with post & grommet assembly is lightweight and easy to set up.
• Three interior pockets & a gear loft keep essentials close at hand.
• This versatile end entry tent features a large side opening door and a spacious vestibule.
• Bathtub floor wraps up sides of tent, protecting against splashing and standing water.
• Vertical strut vestibule pole creates extra volume for protected storage versatility & enhances ventilation.
• Vectored fly-to-tent body pullouts enhance ventilation, increase tent volume, & aid tent stability.
• Ventilation is further enhanced by hooded fly vents & mesh panels in the tent body.
• Dimensions: 6’ 10” x 4’ 10”/4’
• Weight: 4 lbs., 9 oz.
• MSRP: $139.90
Therm-a-Rest Antares Sleeping Bag
Therm-a-Rest has been delivering great outdoor sleep solutions since it debuted the world’s first portable and self-inflating mattress in 1972. In 2013, Therm-a-Rest takes the logical next step in its mission to deliver premium outdoor comfort with its collection of goose down and synthetic sleeping bags for backcountry enthusiasts. Therm-a-Rest eliminates unneeded bulk and weight with thermal mapped, zoned insulation. Unlike conventional bags, Therm-a-Rest placed additional loft in the top of its sleeping bags and reduced loft beneath the bag for the greatest ratio of warmth, comfort, and efficiency. At just 1 lb 15 oz, the 750+ fill-power goose down Antares bag is highly compressible and, at a 20 °F rating, it’s the most efficient, lightweight choice for three-season backpacking comfort on the market.
• Draft Tubes & Collar
• Snag Free Zipper
• Stash Pocket
• Sculptured Hood
• Trapezoidal Footbox
• Storage & Stuff Sack
• Fill 750+ Down.
• Weight: 1 lb 15 oz.
• MSRP: Size regular: $349.95
L.L.Bean Pathfinder Waterproof Shell & Pants:
Because you never know when it is going to rain in the spring. The waterproof, three-ply TEK3™ nylon shell features a strong ripstop weave for extra durability in rugged terrain. Breathable inside backer fabric absorbs and diffuses moisture to keep skin dry and warm, yet glides easily over base layers. Taped seams and waterproof zippers give you maximum weather protection. Exaggerated hand pocket openings allow you to access stored gear without fumbling. Pit-zips and mesh pocket linings provide easy, instant ventilation. Three-point adjustable hood with bonded visor keeps rain out of your face. Articulated sleeves won't bind or constrict arm motion.
• Waterproof, three-layer ripstop shell features a wicking inner layer to keep you dry and comfortable
• Features pit-zips, articulated sleeves and exaggerated hand pocket openings for easy access to gear with a pack on
• Three-point adjustable hood allows for a custom fit
• Come in Tall
• MSRP: Jacket: $149.00-$159.00, Pants: $139.00-$149.00
Royal Robbins Backcountry Convertible Pant
The name says it all. These are tough pants will take a licking but the best part is that you don’t have to sacrifice comfort. Textured, lightweight 3-Ply Laundered Supplex® delivers: you get a soft cotton-like hand without giving up strength. These convertible pants dry quickly, fight odor and resist wrinkles while also providing UPF 50+.
• 3-Ply Laundered Supplex®
• 4 oz., 100% Laundered Supplex® Nylon, UPF 50+
• UPF 50+
• Breathable mesh front pocket bags
• Zip secured front pocket with internal drain ports
• Zip secured right back pocket
• Hook & loop closure on left back pocket
• Double layer seat
• Brushed tricot lined waistband
• Boot friendly ankle zips
• Full length running gusset
• MSRP: $70.00
ExOfficio Sol Cool Short-Sleeve Tee
The Sol Cool Tee lives up to its name with Icefil® treated fabric. Xylitol, a compound also found in the birch tree and mint gum, is woven into fibers and cools skin up to five degrees upon contact with moisture, which is efficiently wicked away to the fabric surface. The Sol Cool crew tee also has the highest sun protection rating for a garment, UPF 50+, so you can play all day out in the sun.
• Icefil® fabric uses Xylitol to create a cooling sensation on contact with moisture to lower body temperature up to five degrees
• Critical seams moved off the shoulder to prevent rubbing
• Intelligent moisture control technology provides exceptional wicking
• Sun Guard 50+, the highest rating available for a garment
• Underarm gusset for maximum mobility
• Flat-locked stitching and tag-less label to prevent irritation
• Active stretch fabric
• Odor resistant
• Quick drying
• Length: 29.5” (measurements taken from size L)
• Sizes: S-XXL
• MSRP: $55.00
FITS Expedition Boot Sock
If you have never tried on a pair of FITS socks, you do not know what you are missing. When I reach into my sock drawer, FITS are the socks that I look for. The new Expedition Boot is made tough - with “heavy weight” construction. The knitting process moves nylon to the outside of the sock making this a very durable product. Because the sock fits your foot perfectly there will be less movement ensuring increased comfort and durability. Added cross-stretch in the toe and heel for stay-in-place fit with our trademark Full Contact FitTM. Proper knit gradation ensures a perfect fit for expedition, long hauls and survival courses.
• Heavy weight full foot cushioning for warmth and protection
• Nylon reinforced exterior for extra durability
• Mid calf height to reset above taller hiking boots
• Heaviest weight sock available in the FITS line
• MSRP: $18.99
Hi-Tec Bergamo WP
Hi-Tec is starting spring 2013 with a new piece that will for sure be timeless. Hi-Tec is showcasing one of its pinnacle pieces of the season with this handmade Italian leather, hiking boot. The Bergamo is designed to provide the comfort and support needed for long treks and backpacking trips.
• ion-mask™ hydrophobic water management technology
• i-shell upper for superior fit, comfort and support
• Waterproof Nubuck leather combined with high performance mesh upper
• V-Lite design and build technology for lightweight performance
• Rustproof metal hardware
• Ortholite® sockliner/midsole
• 3D Counter Balance for improved stability and support
• Exclusive Vibram® outsole for traction and durability
• Colors: Blue
• Sizes: 8-12, 13
• Weight: 27.5 oz.
• MSRP: $400.00
Mile High Mountaineering Fifty-Two 80
The new 2013 version of this big boy got a facelift. This deluxe pack is built for your longer multi-day adventures/travel or just carrying a heap of gear. The sYnc A.C.™ suspension coupled with the VariCant™ hipbelt will give you a customized fit and keep your back happy under heavy loads. A large J-zip pocket in the front of the pack for extra storage is just 1 of the 12 pockets on this pack that makes stashing and organizing your gear a breeze. Like the Divide, the Fifty-Two 80 has Dual #10 YKK zippers on each side of the pack that extend up through the roll-top so the entire pack can be opened flat into a ground mat. The pack has deployable/removable straps and tool loops so it maintains all the technical features you need for demanding outings.
• sYnc A.C.™ suspension
• Air channeled mesh backpanel
• Slide n' lock adjustable harness
• VariCant™ dualpivoting/fully adjustable hipbelt
• Large J-zip front pocket with internal mesh divider
• Backhugger ICS™
• QuickStuff Pack Sack ™ (built in fully waterproof stuff sack)
• Roll-top enclosure under top lid
• Hydration reservoir compatible
• Top and dual side panel access (2 panel zippers allow pack to be opened up completely flat)
• Detachable top lid converts into a small day pack
• Water-resistant clear coated mesh "dry pocket" inside top lid
• 12 pockets + main compartment
• Volume: 80 liters
• Weight: 6lbs / 5.5lbs*
• MSRP: $399.00
GSI Glacier Stainless Minimalist
Ultimate ultralight design integrates everything you need for hot meals and warm drinks in an impossibly small footprint. Ingenious, miniature silicone pot gripper attaches magnetically to fuel canister while cooking so it’s always at hand. Telescoping foon strikes a perfect balance between spoon and fork and compacts to 3.875 long. Compact 0.6 L Pot and lid boil water for pouch meals before transforming into an insulated mug by inverting the lid and slipping the pot into its insulating sleeve.
• 1 Person
• Weight: 7.6 oz
• Dimensions: 4.10" x 4.10" x 4.70"
• Stainless Steel
• Nylon 6-6
• Sip-It Lid,
• Pot Gripper
• 0.6 L Pot / Mug
• Insulated Sleeve
• MSRP $27.95
Princeton Tec Vizz
The newest headlamp from Princeton Tec, the Vizz, is durable, easy to use, waterproof and bright. It's fully featured with a red LED to preserve night vision, a 150 lumen spot beam and two white dimmable ultrabright lights. Waterproof up to a meter for 30 minutes, the Vizz is perfect for any adventure. A battery meter will let the user know when the 90 hours of runtime is getting low.
• Power: 150 Lumens
• Lamp: Maxbright LED, Ultrabright White LED, Ultrabright Red LED
• Burn Time: 160 Hours
• Batteries: 3 AAA Alkaline or Lithium
• Weight: 92 Grams
• MSRP: $49.99
Backpacker’s Pantry Food
With entrees like Chick Vindaloo and deserts like Dark Chocolate Cheesecake, you should never have to starve or eat bad food in the backcountry. Backpacker’s pantry has been making great light weight food since 1951. If you still think it is a great idea to backpack cans of chili into the backcountry, you will want to look into this great food. You back will love you and so will your taste buds.
• MSRP: Around $3.00 to $6.00 for a package for 2