Fall is a great time to get into the outdoors. The temperatures start to fall and the leaves start to change colors. Backpacking is a great way to see fall and all its beauties up close and personal. As with all outdoor adventures having the right gear can truly make it a better experience. We have found some great gear this year and hope that you will agree.
Fjällräven Kaipak 58
The Kaipak is a new series of technical trekking packs that feature a simple silhouette and time tested performance features. The internal frame packs are constructed from G-1000® HeavyDuty Eco, a durable waxed fabrication blended from recycled polyester, organic cotton and PFC-free polyamide. The Kaipak series is best suited for treks that extend from one to three days. It has an integrated hip belt, fixed back length and ergonomically shaped shoulder straps. The pack is also compatible with hydration systems and has attachment points for ice axes and trekking poles. All packs are equipped with rain covers, compression straps at the sides and a zippered pocket located on the front of the pack. It is also available in a women’s specifc pack that is offered with a carrying system specifically designed to adapt to female forms.
• Top loaded mountain trekking backpack
• Supportive carrying system with hip belt
• Adjustable top lid with two pockets
• One zippered pocket on the front
• Compression straps on the sides
• Attachment points for trekking poles or ice axes
• Hydration system compatible
• Rain cover included
• Large bottom opening
• Comes in two gender-specific models
• Volume: 58 L
• Materials: G-1000, Polyamide
• MSRP: $300.00
REI Half Dome 2 Tent
For 2015, REI updates its best selling Half Dome 2 Tent with a new fly design and six different color options. The lightweight yet strong rainfly fabric make it 10 oz. lighter than last year’s tent, and is improved with a new design that allows each end to be rolled up and secured. Additionally, new curved zipper tracks on the fly operate smoothly, while the fly’s four vents provide airflow to prevent condensation buildup. A new twin-hubbed pole set speeds setup by taking the guesswork out of pole assembly.
• Fly design allows sides and ends to be rolled up to maximize views and airflow
• 4 ceiling vents provide airflow to prevent condensation buildup
• Color coding and hubbed pole assembly simplify setup
• REI-exclusive tension-truss architecture creates stable vertical sidewalls and generous headroom while minimizing pole weight
• 2 doors and 2 vestibules offer easy access and additional covered storage
• Pockets and hang loops help organize the interior
• Minimum trail weight 4 lbs. 9 oz.
• MSRP: $199.99
Brooks-Range Drift 15
The all-new Drift Sleeping Bag line offers something for every season and all weather conditions. Available in negative ten, zero, fifteen, thirty and forty-five degree temperature ratings, the Drift bags use 850-fill DownTek treated down and will keep their loft and warmth even if they get wet. The Drift Sleeping Bags also feature excellent warmth to weight ratios thanks to high quality down and Flow Construction that uses vertical baffling to keep the down from shifting.
• 850+ Fill power goose down
• Flow® Construction
• 15d Nylon shell fabric with DWR treatment
• Lightweight baffle netting that allows for maximum loft and warmth
• Halo Collar
• Cloak hood design
• Baffled draft tube with zipper guard
• Ergonomic footbox
• Internal storage pocket
• Cotton Storage sack
• Rating: 15F
• Weight: 2 lbs.
• Drift 15 $559.95
Big Agnes Insulated Double Z sleeping pad
The Insulated Double Z sleeping pad is a super lightweight, 3 season pad that will provide a comfortable and warm nights rest. The pad uses PrimaLoft® Silver Hi-Loft insulation to provide the warmth. And the 4" thickness with internal stabilizer construction to distribute weight evenly provides the comfort. Lastly, a 2-piece valve allows for one way inflation and super quick deflation.
• Insulated with PrimaLoft® Silver Hi-Loft synthetic insulation
• Lightweight & compact 3 season pad
• Stabilizer construction distributes weight evenly creating a smoother, more comfortable feel
• Two piece valve which allows for one way inflation and quick deflation
• Superlight nylon rip-stop top and bottom
• Estimated R-Value of 4.5
• Stuff sack and repair kit included. The repair kit is in a small pocket on the inside of the stuff sack. It's sort of hidden, so look twice!
• Each pad individually inflated and tested
• MSRP: $110.00
Helinox Cot Lite
At 2.6 lbs, the Cot Lite is a very lightweight, comfortable option for those backcountry travelers looking for more support than a pad but still enough room in the pack for the essentials. The Cot Lite is very simple to set up and although lightweight, is still constructed with durable and strong poles and tension lock handles.
• Folding camp cot. Lighter weight than Cot One.
• Lightweight and durable construction
• Simple, strong, design is easy to set up
• Handles create tension when closed
• Storage bag with zipper closure and grab handles included
• Capacity 265 lbs.
• MSRP: $250.00
UST Hex Tarp
The UST BASE Hex Tarp is a multi-use cover that can be utilized as a tarp, ground cloth or thermal blanket. One side is aluminized for thermal insulation and reflectivity for signaling, the other side high-visibility orange. The hex design of this 108" x 96" orange tarp provides excellent coverage in all weather conditions and the single person size eliminates the need for a full unit.
• Protects against the sun and foul weather
• Includes tarp, guy lines, steel stakes and stuff sack for carrying components when not in use
• Flat LxWxD: 108” x 96” x 41”
• Packed HxWxD: 10” x 4” x 4”
• Weight: 1 lb. 8 oz.
• MSRP: $39.99
MSR WindBurner Personal Stove System
The MSR Windburner Personal stove system is designed for the outdoor enthusiast looking for an approachable, personal, three-season cook set for one to two nights in the backcountry. The WindBurner system's radiant burner and enclosed design allow it to operate flawlessly in windy and cold weather. MSR created a personal system that offers easy usability, superior boil times, and unmatched efficiency in real-world conditions.
• Clear, BPA-free drinking and straining lid
• Insulated cozy with handle
• 1.0L pot with heat exchanger
• Secure connection with stove
• Ultra-efficient radiant burner
• Pressure regulator for consistent performance
• Folding canister stand
• Integrated full-size bowl (16 oz)
• MSRP: $129.95
Kammok Roo Hammock
Kammok is best known for its signature Roo hammock a cool and comfy outdoor hammock; the perfect go-to for any outdoor adventure. The Roo is the camping hammock built for life changing adventure. Inspired by the kangaroo, this camping hammock will get you off the ground in a hurry, give you a comfortable, secure place to rest, and then pack up quick so you can continue on your way. Kammok is a 1% For the Planet member & a certified B-Corp.
• Made of Kammok’s proprietary diamond ripstop fabric, LunarWave, the Roo is incredibly lightweight, tear resistant, breathable, and roomy enough for two.
• The Roo hammock packs easily into its attached water-resistant compression sack, getting down to the size of an angry blowfish.
• Includes Carabiners and Slings
• Multiple gear loops along the perimeter of the Roo allow for fully customizable storage and tie out options.
• size: 5'7" x 10'
• Weight: 24oz
• Weight capacity: 500lbs max capacity
• MSRP: $99.00
LOWA Vantage GTX Mid
The Vantage GTX Mid is an evolution in lightweight trekking design, the Vantage is crafted from split leather for great comfort and fit out of the box. Featuring a Gore-Tex membrane, the boots provide the waterproof, breathable performance needed for those who love the outdoors. Trac Lite outsole offers secure grip while the TPU toe and heel guards are added for durability.
• Upper: Split Leather/CORDURA®
• Lining: Waterproof GORE-TEX®
• Flex Lacing®
• C4 Tongue
• Footbed: Balance Comfort
• Midsole: PU with SPS Cushion & Fluke Technology
• Outsole: LOWA Trac® Lite II
• Stabilizer: 5mm Nylon Heel/2mm Forefoot
• Weight: 1130 grams
• MSRP: $245.00
Farm to Feet Asheboro
The Asheboro is a medium-weight outdoor sock with a decidedly casual vibe but thanks to its hidden plait construction, full-density cushioning, and 100% US-grown merino wool, this camping sock is capable of any outdoor activity in cool to cold weather.
• U.S. Merino Wool
• Hidden Nylon Plaiting
• Top-To-Toe Cushion Zone
• Full-Density Cushioning
• Seamless Toe Closure
• Comfort Compression
• 75% U.S. Merino Wool, 24% U.S. Nylon, 1% U.S. Spandex
• MSRP: $23.00
adidas Terrex Skyclimb Insulation Jacket
This four-way stretch softshell is equipped with FORMOTION for ultimate performance and comfort while in motion, PERTEX MICROLIGHT offers balance and weight reduction while maintaining good strength with abrasion resistance and PrimaLoft Gold insulated parts covered with a lightweight nylon fabric. Body mapped hybrid construction combines the advantage of four different performance fabrics for key sweat and heat areas of the body.
• Fit: Athletic
• Weight: 9.8 oz.
• MSRP: $150.00
LEKI Legacy and Legacy Lady Trekking Poles
The Legacy features LEKI’s new SpeedLock 2 system, a streamlined version of the original external locking system that set a precedent for strength by TUV back in 2012. SpeedLock 2 is now 33 percent smaller and 25 percent lighter, yet 20 percent stronger than the original SpeedLock system. Featuring high tensile strength aluminum shafts and the PAS Thermo Grip, the Legacy is adjustable from 26 – 53” and weighs just 16.7 oz per pair. The Legacy Lady features the PAS Compact Thermo Grip, which is 15 percent smaller than the original Thermo Grip, is adjustable from 25 – 49” to fit into women-specific packs, and weighs 16.6 oz per pair.
• 16mm/14mm/12mm HTS 6.5 Series Aluminum shafts for maximum durability
• SPEEDLOCK 2 adjustment system - upper and lower shafts
• PAS Thermo foam grip material.
• Auto-adjust nylon strap lined with soft wicking material for comfort
• Carbide Flextip
• Performance Trekking Basket / Interchangeable
• Adjustment range 67-135cm
• 16.8 oz per pair
• Color: Black / white / cyan / yellow
• MSRP: $99.00
Buff Knitted and Polar Hats
The Knitted and Polar hats are ideal for the cool nights and early mornings of fall. The Knitted and Polar Hat’s performance is enhanced by the cozy design, which features a knitted exterior and warm polar fleece inner earband. Constructed with an active fit, it’s ideal for casual trail outings on cold days.
• Knitted Exterior
• Polar fleece inner earband
• Cold weather thermal protection : 14°f - 41°f
• Embroidered BUFF® logo
• One size fits all adults
• MSRP: $29.00
After Bite's, the original and trusted Itch Eraser®, new and improved formula gently relieves insect bites and stings using baking soda for maximum soothing and comfort. After Bite's portable tube fits nicely in any purse, pocket, or beach bag and ready for your warm weather adventures and is easy to use with an convenient applicator tip. After Bite provides instant relief for bites from mosquitoes, biting flies, ticks, fleas bees and other common insects.
• Instant & Permanent Relief From Itching & Pain
• Simple to Apply - Applicator tip makes local, no-mess application a breeze.
• Applicator tube is perfect for packs, pockets, or purses.
• MSRP: $3.99
As any outdoor sports enthusiast knows, you have to be prepared, which means having a first-aid kit handy. Whether it's a simple bug bite, minor cut, or something more serious like a gash, you need to have something on hand to stop bleeding and protect the wound. Initially developed for surgical use, BloodSTOP is a bandage proven to stop bleeding faster and promote healing. BloodSTOP is a biocompatible, non-irritating, woven matrices of fibers made from natural plant compounds. It adheres to a wound, initiates blood coagulation, stops bleeding, and forms a protective layer to create an optimal environment for wound healing.
• Easy to use
• Acts fast
• No animal-derived material
• Water soluble for easy removal without disruption to wound surface
• Easy to cut, pack or layer to fit the wound
• Single use sterile packaging, several sizes
• MSRP: $16.99