We have had a hard time narrowing this last guide down. We have included gear that works great for camping, climbing, hiking and even to play in the water. We hope that with all the choices that we have provided with these three gear guides that you will be able to find dad that special gift for Father's Day. We here, at Open Air Life would like to thank our dads for taking us out in the great outdoors early in our lives.
The new Scree collection offers mid- and low-height, high performance, light hiking footwear with Vasque’s proprietary waterproofing and Stealth Rubber outsole. Stealth Rubber is considered the stickiest rubber compound available, for confident footing on uncertain terrain, and is used in the Phantom non-marking formulation. A multi-density midsole offers supple heel and footbed cushioning, while women and men specific versions provide a secure and comfortable fit.
• Weight: 2lb. 5 oz. (1049g)
• Outsole: Revolution with Stealth S1 Rubber
• Last: Arc Tempo
• Midsole: EVA-lution
• MSRP at $120-$145
ECCO Tahoe Xpedition Lite
This shoe is ready to help dad get from trailhead to the destination. The direct-injected PU midsole provides cushion and includes an anatomically-shaped footbed. ECCO performance rubber gives this shoe excellent grip and traction on a broach range of terrains.
• Direct-injected PU midsole including anatomically-shaped footbed
• Full length Receptor Technology
• Stability, guidance and dynamic support
• Upper of rich yak leather and textiles
• MSRP: $150.00
Baffin’s new Trail to Rapids series are so light they float. The Amazon, is a great option for a dad that is looking for a lightweight and highly breathable trail shoe. The shoe is designed to let any water encountered drain right through. A metallic grid in the sole of the shoe prevents any rocks or debris from entering but allows water to easily drain throughout. Whether this be walking through a stream or just sweat; the insole has channels that are designed to drain all moisture.The outsole is designed to give you added traction while on the trails; while a mid-rise cut and secure laces provide support.
• MSRP: $89.99
Darn Tough 1/4 Length Cushion Hike/Trek Sock
What father wouldn't love getting a fresh pair of Vermont-made Merino wool socks with an unconditional lifetime guarantee? Dad will be thanking you every time he pulls them on. And with a price point of $14-22, they are a very affordable gift.
Dad will especially love the 1/4 length cushion hike/trek socks. This sock begs to be worn due to high-density cushioning, moisture wicking Merino wool and unrivaled fit. Whether dad is out walking the dog, mowing the lawn or hiking he'll be thanking you with every step he takes.
Mile High Mountaineering Flatiron 38 Pack
Although this pack is smaller than some technical packs, it is still loaded with features. Dad will be impressed by how this pack is designed. To improve access to gear, there is a long vertical water-resistant zipper on the front of the pack. It has a sturdy single aluminum stay/HDPE frame system, ventilated backpanel and dual-pivoting hipbelt. For ultimate versatility, the aluminum stay can be easily removed without even opening the pack for more mobility while scrambling. Also they have provided us with a discount code of "OALDAD-MHM-1" and it is good for 20% off at checkout.
• Flow A.C. suspension
• Backdraft Air Channeled backpanel
• Rip n' Pull adjustable harness
• variCant dualpivoting/fully adjustable hipbelt
• integrated Packslicker rainfly
• hydration bladder pocket
• top and front panel access
• external compression straps
• 8 gear loops
• 5 pockets + main compartment
• quickclip accessory clips
• 2 adjustable ice axe loops
• Volume: 38+10 liters
• Weight: 3lbs 6 oz
• Fits Torso: 17-21 in.
• Number of Stays: 1 (removable)
• Main Pack fabric: 315 denier ripstop CORDURA® Lite fabric, Nylon 6.6, 80g PU/DWR.
• Bottom Fabric: 840 denier Invista CORDURA® HD fabric, Nylon 6.6, 80g PU/DWR.
• POP color: 210 denier mini diamond, Nylon 6.0, 40g PU/DWR.
• Frame Material: 3mm x 20mm 6061 tempered aluminum stay and 1.5mm HDPE framesheet
• MSRP: $189.00
If dad is looking for something to hold a little more gear, yet still save on wieght the Blaze AC 60 is worth considering. Granite Gear’s Blaze AC 60 Pack, constructed with CORDURA® fabric, earned the 2011 Backpacker magazine Editor’s Choice Award. The pack, is recognized for integrating Granite Gear’s ultra-light technology to create a pack with the ultimate combination of comfort, load control and durability. Designed as a light weight 60 liter pack, the Blaze AC 60 is targeted to meet the needs of the long-distance hiker. Simple in nature, this minimalistic pack provides optimal comfort, suspension, compression and exceptional durability. The AirCurrent suspension consists of a three-dimensionally molded, alloyed frame and padded shoulder straps. With the ability to quickly adjust the torso length and hip belt, the Blaze AC 60 pack offers custom tailoring to fit the user’s specific height and waist.
• Torso Sizes: short | regular
• Weight: 1.3kg | 2lbs 14oz
• Capacity: 60 liters | 3660 cubic inches
• Suspension: Air Current (A.C.) Internal Frame
• Load Capacity: 35lbs | 16kg
• Optional Lid: Click Here
• 100D Ripstop
• 210D Nylon CORDURA® fabric
• Stretch Mesh Fabric
• hydration compatible
• hip pack lid sold separately
• interchangeable belt
• torso length adjustability on framsheet
• ultralight lineloc micro compression
• large stretch mesh front pocket
• MSRP: $199.95
Cohesion Stretch Jacket
When dad needs a bomber jacket to take climbing the Cohesion Stretch Jacket offers all-over stretch and full waterproof, breathable protection. Made to stretch this jacket is comfortable and allows freedom to move.
• Attached, roll-away Ergo hood fits over helmet, single-handed drawcord for quick adjustments
• Pit zips for ventilation
• Cuff tabs and hem drawcords for quick fit adjustments
• Micro-Chamois-lined chin guard eliminates zipper chafe
• Usage: Mountaineering/Alpine Climbing
• Fabrics: Body - Ark™ 30D Stretch (100% nylon)
• Laminate: Conduit™ DT
• Details: 13 oz. (370 g.); Center Back Length - 30” (76 cm.); Black, Duffel w/ Stone Green, Jungle w/ Greenery, Sapphire w/ Blue Chip, Thunderbird Red w/ Red; S-XXL;
• MSRP: $170.00
Metolius Torque Nut Tool
The ultimate nut tool improved with anatomical palm protector, plus a built-in wrench for tightening loose bolts.
• Hardened 420 stainless steel body
• Built-in, wire-gate carabiner
• Unique curved design lets you get behind the nut to hook and pull
• Hooked Nose is perfect for cam trigger bars
• Tapered nose allows easy access to the tiniest nuts
• Fits all common bolt sizes
• 64 g (2.3 oz.)
• MSRP $14.95
Millet Low Impact Triaxiale Rope
Climbers leave more of an impact than we think on our environment, and tying into the Millet Low Impact Triaxiale Single Rope at the crags is one way to help reduce our footprint on nature. By using uncolored strands, skipping the dry treatment, and reducing packaging, the Low Impact uses a small fraction of the energy required to produce similar ropes. And thanks to the Triaxiale braided core design, the Low Impact maintains a consistent diameter and safe handling over long periods of use.
• Type: single
• Dry Treatment:no
• Dynamic Elongation:32%
• UIAA Falls:5
• Impact Force: 920 daN
• Center Mark: yes
• Weight: 70 g/m
• MSRP: $25
Big Agnes Three Wire Bivy Sack
This lightweight solo shelter features DAC poles which are super light and strong with press fit connectors, and lightweight swivel hub. This shelter also features an extra long side zipper for easy entry and eVent waterproofing which is a breathable, waterproof fabric that vents moisture directly to the outside, keeping you and your bag dry inside.
• eVent top fabric
• Durable, lightweight CORDURA® rip-stop bottom fabric
• Two closure options: interior layer of mesh bug netting for ventilation or eVent fabric layer for complete protection
• Peaked visor and zipper flap protects against the elements
• Mesh bug netting closure
• Stake out loops at head, shoulder, and foot
• Stake out loops are oversized so that skis can be used to anchor bivy in the snow
• 6 Superlight aluminum J stakes - featuring eco-friendly anodizing - included
• All seams are taped
• Stuff sack included• MSRP: $299.95
Does dad love camping on the beach or in the snow? If so the ToughStake the stake he has been looking for for years. Toughstake's design hold 10x better than a traditional top anchored stake in sand and snow. The design of this stake is that the anchor pulls from the bottom of the stake using the sand or snow as weight to hold the stake in. The stakes are lightweight made out of aircraft aluminum and they stack together to lay flat.
• MSRP: $19.99-$69.99
Brooks-Range’s Alpini 30° Sleeping Bag
Looking for a sleeping bag for this dad's summer adventures? The Brooks-Range’s new Alpini 30° Sleeping Bag is the ideal down bag because it is made with the highest quality 850-fill goose down and is extremely lightweight at only 32 oz. The shell is constructed with lightweight but durable Pertex Quantum fabric and features offset baffles for maximum insulation efficiency. The Alpini 30° Bag also features a draft tube for additional warmth retention, and a full-length side zipper for easy in/out.
• 72” regular (78” for long)
• 62” chest width
• 58” hip
• 42” foot width.
• Regular Weight: 2 lb. (907 g);
• MSRP: $319.00
HighPeak Meadow 30°F Sleeping Bag
Ideal for warmer nights, the Meadow is a great lightweight sleeping bag. This 30-degree bag uses Invista Thermolite Extreme insulation and the shell is constructed with mini ripstop, water repellant, windproof Cire nylon.
• Dimensions: 32.5" x 80" x 20.5"
• Weight : 2.7 lbs
• Sew-in draft tube and chest collar
• Hood with drawstring closure and barrel lock
• Anti-snag zipperband
• Two bags can be zipped together
• MSRP: $175.00
Klymit Inertia XL camping pad
Klymit’s first-ever full size camping frame – the Inertia XL. Like award-winning Inertia X-Frame, the lightest, most packable camping pad on the market, the Inertia XL provides maximum comfort for minimalist campers. A universal pad, the Inertia XL is designed to provide comfort for all body types and sleepers. Using loft pockets, the Inertia XL allows for sleeping bags to expand into the gaps – capitalizing on the sleeping bags insulation. Inflated with breathed air for three-season use, topping the pad off with Argon increases insulation for winter camping and four-season use.
• Weight: 17 oz.
• Length: 76 inches
• Width: 25 inches
• Material: 75 Denire Polyester upper,
• 75 Denire Coated Polyester lower
• MSRP: $149.99
Primus Profile Duo camp stove
When you go camping and dad does all the cooking, you need to check out the Profile Duo. Representing the ultimate in portable gourmet cook systems, the Primus Profile Duo stove’s unique design allows dad to simultaneously grill on one side while boiling or sautéing on the other. Built for durability and a lifetime of reliable service, the stainless steel, propane-powered Profile Duo stove is lightweight and folds up flat making it easy to transport. A non-stick grill surface is a breeze to clean and adjustable flame controls ensure perfectly cooked food every time.
• Weight- 12 lbs
• Power- 12,000 BTU/hour burner; 9700 BTU/h grill
• Dimensions- 23.2" x 12.6" x 4.7"
• Cooks for- 1-10 people
• MSRP $120.
Kelty LumaPivot Lighting
The LumaPivot is a compact and versatile light solution for camping, road trips, or around the house. This light has dual pivoting panels that contain 15 LED lights on each panel. Moving independently, these panels provide abundant light exactly where you need it for superb direct or indirect lighting. Switch the LumaPivot between high and low power for six hours at 110 lumens or 12 hours at 60 lumens respectively. Powered by 6 AA-batteries, the LumaPivot weighs under a pound and fits easily into a pack, car, or home utility drawer.
• 30 5mm Nichia LEDs
• Direct Pivot Technology: 2 swivel LED panels fold out & rotate 360 degrees
• Anodized Aluminum handle and accents
• 3 Watts
• Weather resistant
• 3-step Switch: Two panels / one panel / off
• ABS plastic body
• Weight measured w/o batteries
• Batteries: 6 AA, not included
• MSRP: $49.99.
When having power is a must for dad while hiking, the Rocsta is built to take a beating. The Solio Rocsta is made specifically for the outdoors as it's got a rugged shell and built-in carabineer to power your gadgets while being attached to your hydration pack or belt loop. And when it's not energizing for adventures, you can store the sun's energy for later (holds the charge for about a year). When it's cloudy, you can also plug each unit into the wall or your computer's USB drive. The internal lithium ion battery typically lasts for two years and the unit/solar panels around 13 years. When the battery expires you can easily replace with a battery from Solio's store. This is the type of product for people in the outdoors who don't want to be tethered to their devices but who might want to "check in" and need a green, reliable power supply.
• MSRP: $79.95.
Suunto Core Anniversary Edition
The Suunto Core Anniversary Edition was created to honor Suunto’s long tradition of creating precision instruments for the outdoor market. As an all-in-one outdoor sports tool for the vertically inclined the award winning Core gathers a range of accurate data and information needed when exploring the wilder parts of the world. The Suunto Core Anniversary Edition is designed to provide reliable, accurate data to confidently evaluate the surroundings. It combines ABC (altimeter, barometer and compass) functions with benefits such as depth meter, sunrise and sunset times and a menu in four languages. The Suunto Core Anniversary Edition uses the Core’s classic style and design with a special 75th anniversary engraving on the back.
• A,B, C: Altimeter, Barometer, Compass
• Storm Alarm
• Altitude log, difference
• Semi-automatic compass calibration
• Depth meter
• Additional features:
• Menu in four languages
• Multiple watch, date and alarm functions
• Sunrise/Sunset times
• Quick exit button
• MSRP $349
Easton CTR-80 trekking poles
CTR-80 Carbon fiber trekking poles utilize the new vibration control technology, Vi-Brake, that helps dampen the contact between pole and trail. Vi-Brake is a 360 degree all-axis impact control that reduces the impact of each stride, taking the stress off of the wrist, elbows and shoulders allowing for an increase of comfort. Lightweight and durable three-tier design, the CTR-80 also features the Rock-Lock clamps that are specific to all Easton Mountain Products poles. They also collapses down to 25 in.
• All-Carbon construction
• Rock-Lock™ clamp system
• Three-section adjustable
• Winter and Summer Baskets Included
• Fully extended length: 55.12 in (140 cm)
• Collapsed length: 25.25 in (64.1cm)
• Weight: 1.44 lbs
• MSRP: $139.99
Fenix LD40 Flashlight
When dad is looking for a lot of light but not a huge flashlight, the LD$0 delivers both. The LD40 is powered by 4 AA batteries. Its high intensity reflector ensures the beam will reach your targets as far away as 200 meters.
• Lifespan = 50,000 hrs
• Types of Lighting Output: 7
• Light Mode:
• - Turbo (248 lumens, 3h 13 mins), High (110 lumens, 9h 42 mins), Medium (43 lumens, 27 hrs), Low (4 lumens, 245 hrs)
• Flashing Mode:
• - Strobe (278 lumens), Slow Flashing (64 lumens), SOS (64 lumens)
• Digitally regulated circuit - maintains constant brightness
• Lighweight head is made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum; the rest is made of high quality plastic
• Tactical push-button tail cap switch w/ momentary-on function
• Simple dimmer button
• Dual switches for simple, fast operation
• Tough ultra-clear double glass lens w/ anti-reflective coating
• Impact resistance: 1.5m
• MSRP: $78.00
• http://www.fenixlighting.com/products/ld40.html or http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights-LD40-Flashlight/dp/B0044VVBJK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306258227&sr=8-1
Dagger Alchemy 14.0L
The stylish Alchemy touring crossover series hits the water running, packed with performance capabilities for both flat and moving water. Featuring the stability that’s suitable for new paddlers, but with performance edging and turning capabilities ready for advanced skill levels. With enough storage and speed for an extended weekend excursion, Dad can grab his gear and get moving. Now with added control and durability for the trip from the redesigned TruTrak Skeg System.