Fall is a great time to get out and see the fall colors. That said, with temperatures dropping and weather that could change anytime, being prepared is a must. The gear featured here will help you prepare for whatever Mother Nature might throw at you. Or at least make your fall camping trips a lot more enjoyable. First up are sleeping bags.
Eureka!’s DualTemp 10/30
Eureka!’s DualTemp 10/30 performance bags feature a 60D polyester ripstop shell, Eureka!’s proprietary Rteq insulation and a trapezoidal foot box construction. The hybrid-rectangular design features contoured shoulders and a tapered lower leg section with generous width through the chest and hips to maximize performance while maintaining comfort. The design utilizes differing layers of insulation on the chest and back of the bag, creating a versatile sleeping bag with 2 different temperature ratings by simply turning the bag over. Each bag has “peached” polyester liner fabric that is super-soft and feels warm to the touch, a top draw cord, an internal pocket, hang loops and a compression stuff sack.
• Zipper SideRight
• Insulation Rteq™
• Temp Rating10°F/30°F
• Pockets 1 (stash pocket)
• Cover Fabric 66D/230T StarGaze polyester ripstop
• 66D/210T polyester taffeta
• Liner Fabric 75D/240T peached polyester
• Zipper YKK # 5, 2-way, self-repairing
• Compression Stuff Sack 19" x 9.5" dia. / coated polyester ripstop
• Regular (72” x 33” x 26.5”): 3 lbs 15 oz. Retail: $99.90.
• Long (78” x 33” x 26.5”): 4lbs. 4 oz., Retail: $109.90.
Kelty Cosmic Down 20
A fantastic value for the three-season camper, the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 provides all the warmth, comfort, and packability of down at an affordable price. An insulated hood baffle, top baffle collar, and zipper draft tube keep warm air in, maximizing comfort on chilly nights in the backcountry.
Features (regular length):
• Slant-baffle construction
• Top baffle collar
• Insulated hood baffle
• Zipper draft tube with anti-snag design
• Internal liner loops
• Sleeping pad security loops
• Hang loops for storage
• Ground-level side seams prevent heat from escaping
• Differential cut to maximize loft and warmth
• Stuff sack included
• Shape- Mummy
• Fits to- 6’
• Insulation-550 -fill-power down
• Fill weight-20 oz
• Total weight- 2 lb, 8 oz
• MSRP- $99.95
Women's AT 35 Pack
A smaller version of their lightest multiday pack, this day pack is made for the hiker who likes to go fast and light. This pack is big enough to take extra layers when going out for day hikes where the temperature could drop quickly. Built with a unique trampoline suspension system that allows fresh air to pass between the pack and your back and a butterfly aluminum frame, this pack is strong, lightweight and cool. This pack is great for a quick day hike to an overnight campout.
• Collar cut shoulder straps and recurved hip belt feature perforated EVA foam for comfort and increased ventilation.
• Stretch Spandura shove-it pocket on front provides quick access to a rain jacket or an extra layer.
• Top and front access options make it easy to find the gear you want.
• Auto-cant shoulder straps automatically adjust the fit as you put the pack on.
• Two side compression straps conveniently tighten down the entire load.
• Hypalon side compression wings allow for additional lashing points.
• Top lid features security and storage pockets.
• Two water-bottle pockets.
• Hydration sleeve with hanging toggle and drinking tube port; bladder sold separately.
• Pack body made from 210-denier HT riptstop nylon with a water-resistant polyurethane coating, bottom is made from 600-denier Kodra.
• Capacity 1,890 cu. in.
• Fits Torso Lengths 16" to 18".
• Weight 2 lb. 15 oz.
• MSRP: $99.95
Deuter ACT Zero 50 + 15 SL
Another pack that is built for those who like to travel light and fast but want to be out a few more days. This pack will allow the experienced backpacker /mountaineer to carry all the necessities without the added pack weight. This pack is equipped with Deuter’s Aircontact Lite System which with every movement, a pump effect circulates air through the breathable aircontact cushions of this direct body contact system. Also this pack features the Vari-Quick system for easy adjustment to any back length.
• Stabiliser straps allow optimal positioning of the backpack.
• The anatomically shaped hip fins are made from multiple layers. The inner side has a layer of soft foam with 3D AirMesh lining for heightened comfort. The firm foam on the outside is modelled to the anatomic shape and transfers the load to the hips.
• The anatomic profiled X-frame offers a balance of torsional rigidity and flexibility to follow your body movements, and transfers weight through it's perfect back fit.
• Contoured shoulder straps with 3D Air mesh lining.
• Weight: 3 lbs 4 oz
Volume: 3050 cubic inches - 50 litre
• Size: 30 / 12 / 9.4 (H x W x D) Inch
• Material: Deuter-Duratex-Lite / Deuter-Ripstop 210
• MSRP: $169.00
REI Crestrail 70 Pack
With multiple zippered access points, the Crestrail Pack is large enough to easily fit all your camping gear for a multi-day trip, yet versatile enough for day trek. The Sculpted FreeFlow back panel has multiple peaks and valleys to reduce sweaty contact areas and allow warm vapor to escape; soft foam conforms to your back for a stable fit. Top-loading main compartment also features 2 zippered access points to the main bag, plus separate access to the sleeping bag compartment as well as 2 zippered pockets to provide handy access to snacks.
• ActivMotion® hipbelt pivots to follow the natural motion of your hips.
• Hipbelt webbing tightens with a forward pull for easy adjustment;
• Tubular aluminum perimeter frame is lighter than HDPE/stay frame sheets; it transfers weight to your hips and stabilizes the pack, helping prevent unwanted side-to-side sway
• Large zippered front pocket, stretch stash pocket and lightweight lash points provide storage and organization for often-used gear and clothing
• Side bottle-locking pockets secure bottles or other items, helping prevent them from falling out when bushwacking or taking your pack off
• Speed Hook ice axe attachments are strategically positioned to avoid interference with pockets and access zippers
• Over-the-top and dual side compression straps pull the load closer to your back, minimize bulk and provide external attachment points for gear
• Floating top lid extends, allowing the pack to handle large loads
• Cordura® fabric resists abrasion and tears; Durable Water Resistant finish repels moisture
• Water-repellent zippers help keep your contents dry and eliminate the need for fabric zipper flaps
• The REI Crestrail 70 pack features a hydration-ready design that allows your reservoir's drink tube to be routed over either shoulder (hydration reservoir sold separately)
• MSRP: $229.00
Columbia’s Baselayer Midweight LS ½
Heading out camping this time of year can be cool and unpredictable. Having a bad base layer is not an option. The Columbia Midweight half zip is the perfect addition to any layering system. It offers maximum warmth, minimum weight, and zoned performance for optimal comfort. Bodymapped design keeps you warm and dry in all the right spots by placing Omni-Heat® reflective dots in zones that need warmth most, and Omni-Wick™ in high-perspiration zones for maximum moisture transmission.
• Fabric: 86% polyester/14% elastane
• Omni-Heat thermal reflective
• Omni-Wick advanced evaporation
• Form fit
• 4-way comfort stretch
• Ergonomic seaming
• Thumb holes
• MSRP: $60.00
Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool Spirit X
From its lightweight design, to its ergonomic handles, to its outside-opening implements, there’s not much the SwissTool Spirit X can’t do. Whether it’s fixing loose hinges or sawing firewood at the campsite, the SwissTool Spirit X is always ready. The SwissTool Spirit X weighs only 5 ¾ oz and comes with a brown leather belt pouch. Its truly a handyperson’s helper - it’s at your service when it’s at your side.
• Needle Nose Pliers • Screwdriver (2 mm) • Screwdriver (3 mm) • Wire Cutter (for wire up to a hardness of
• 40 hrc) • Bottle Opener • Screwdriver (6 mm) • Strong Crate Opener • Straight-Edge Blade • Scissors
• 10.Metal File • Metal Saw • Wood Saw • Reamer • Phillips Screwdriver • Chisel/Scraper • Isolation Length Cutter
• Wire Bender • Wire Stripper • Wire Scraper/Round Cutter • Can Opener • Multi-purpose Hook • Leather Pouch
• Couplng for Corkscrew • Harde Wire Cutter • Lanyard Hole • Ten Individual Springs • Lock Release
• MSRP: $103.00
Brunton Get-Back GPS
GPS technology just got easier to use with the Brunton Get-Back GPS. Smartly designed and easy to use, the Get-Back GPS quickly shows the way back to your starting point by the shortest, most direct route. The Get-Back points directly back to any of three programmable waypoints, adjusting direction as you move, showing the route by arrow and the distance in feet or kilometers.
• Overall dimensions: 2.75”x1.5“x0.5”
• Accuracy of 12 feet in normal GPS mode
• 3 waypoints to find your way back to 3 different locations
• Beep indicator when within 30 feet of destination
• Rechargeable battery with up to 12 hours of continuous use
• Signal Strength indicator
• Digital Compass
• Self Calibrating
• Blue Back light
• Battery Life function
• Recharges with included USB cable
• Small and light weight
• Compatable with Brunton portable power devices
• MSRP: $90.00
World’s Smallest 406 MHz GPS Personal Locator Beacon, the ResQLink™ is small and light enough to hold comfortably in one hand yet powerful enough to guide rescuers to within 100 meters or less of the user’s position in a life-threatening emergency. At just 4.6 oz (130 g) and 3.9 in (10.0 cm) tall, the ResQLink™ offers a lot of punch in the smallest and lightest package available today. It combines ease of use and ACR technology to give pilots, boaters, and outdoors enthusiasts a powerful and accurate safety companion, ready for action at the simple push of a button.
• Specifications 3.3 x 4.8 x 9.9 cm (1.3 x1.9 x 3.9 in)
• Weight: 130 g (4.6 oz) with lanyard
• Battery: Class 2 (non-hazmat) lithium batteries, meets DOT and IATA rules for safe transport, 5-year replacement life
• Deployment: Manual
• Activation: Manual
• Operation: 2 steps: deploy antenna, press ON button, giving clear view to the sky
• Waterproof: 5 m (16.40 ft) @ 1 hr. 10 m (33 ft) @ 10 min. Factory tested at 21º C (70º F), exceeds RTCM waterproof requirements
• Life: Exceeds required 24 hours @ -20º C (-4º F); 30 hours typical
• Accessories: PN 9521 Flotation Pouch
• MSRP: $325.00
The Raptor is a power-packed device. Not only does the solar panel charge the internal battery, the Raptor has a USB out to charge other devices as well. This device is one to throw in any pack when going up camping to have multiple features on one device. Also the NOAA weather alert can keep you up to date on any weather changes this fall. Another nice feature is the audio line input so you can listen to your music through the Raptors speaker.
• Monocrystal solar panel w/ solar charge indicator
• Solar powered USB cell phone charger (5V, 500mA)
• Digital display
• Altimeter (altitude information)
• Barometer (pressure and temperature)
• AM, FM, WB digital radio tuner
• NOAA weather alert
• 10 AM / 10 FM station presets
• Digital clock w/ alarm
• IPX-4 splash proof
• Audio line input
• DC input with mini-USB plug (5V, 500mA)
• 1800mAh, rechargeable lithium ion battery
• Battery charge indicator
• Bottle opener
• Thin form factor
• MSRP: $149.00
GOAL ZERO Guide 10 Adventure Kit
If all you need this fall is some power to charge a phone or maybe some batteries the Guide 10 Adventure kit is what you are looking for. This is ultra-lightweight USB solar charging system that can fit in your pocket. Made up of a solar panel, no bigger than a iPad when folded up, and a sleek, 4 inch tall battery pack, users can take the Guide 10 Adventure Kit anywhere to help them stay connected – even when they’re miles away from the nearest outlet. The battery can be used as a single unit power pack to power your devices or as a power source to recharge the batteries for use in AA or AAA battery powered devices. The Guide 10 Adventure Kit can recharge your cell phone 1-3 times over, without needing to be re-charged itself. The Guide 10 Power Pack can be charged with the Nomad 7 Solar Panel in 1.5 hours or via USB in 6 hours. Use this kit to keep all your hand-held devices (phones, iPods, cameras, GPSs, etc...) charged-up and ready to go anytime, anywhere.
• Ultra lightweight USB solar charging system that fits in your pocket.
• Functions as a Power Pack and a Battery Charger
• Interchangeable batteries (AA and AAA compatible)
• USB and 12V output
• Built in LED Flashlight that runs 20+ hours per charge
• AA Rechargeable batteries included
• MSRP: $124.95
Primus PrimeTorch 1010 flashlight
Built to be powerful, durable, and extremely compact, the PrimeTorch 1010 is a professional grade flashlight designed to provide years of reliable service. Powered by a CR123A lithium battery often used in cameras, the PrimeTorch 1010 dishes out 140 lumens from a CREE Q4 bulb. Small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, the 1010 is 1” x 3.3” and weighs only 1.6 ounces. A tactical switch on the back allows for easy on/off operation while a clip keeps the 1010 accessible on a belt or in a pocket. Burns up to five hours on one battery.
• 1 Cree® Q4 (130 lumens)
• Range: 160 m (175 yd)
• Burn Time: 3-5 h
• Lithium CR-123 Batteries
• Dimensions: 25 x 85 mm (1" x 3.3")
• Weight: 46 g (1.6 oz.)
• MSRP: $66.00
Just Ducky Products The Perfect Bungee
Made from high-quality polyurethane, The Perfect Bungee cords come in a variety of lengths and colors to suit every outdoor need, are super-strong and are resistant to saltwater, oil, ozone, and a laundry list of other common household chemicals, making them an indispensable item in RVs and automobiles. The product is useful for everyone in almost every application. Backed by a lifetime warranty, The Perfect Bungee is guaranteed to always maintain its polyurethane stretch and to stand up to even the harshest tests and conditions. For more information please visit www.justduckyproducts.com.