With winter coming to an end and spring on its way, it is now time to start looking forward to what is new for spring 2012. Our first guide of spring is going to be camping. If you are looking for a new tent or a sleeping bag we have listed both. We will be posting spring gear guides for the next couple of months, so check back often to see all the other categories that we cover. Also we always welcome any questions or comments. If you have a specific thing you are looking for and cannot find it, make a comment and we will try to get you an answer.
Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralite
Have you ever thought it would be nice to have a tent, chair and canopy all in one? Hennessy Hammock has made this possible. Also, you will never need to find a level camp site again, just a couple trees. The Explorer Ultralite A-sym was designed for long and lean individuals up to 7 feet tall. It also has the same high performance materials, proportions and protection as the smaller Ultralite Backpacker A-sym. For a few more ounces, this bigger model also provides more room and comfort than the standard size for anyone fewer than 6 feet. The Explorer Ultralite Zip has a side entry and new zipper closure with a strong #8 zipper and two double sliders.
• Height limit: 7' tall / 213 cm
• Weight limit: 250 lbs / 113 kg
• Packed Weight: 2 lbs 4 oz / 1020 g
• Packed Size: 4" x 8" x 10"
• Hammock fabric: 70D nylon taffeta, 160 x 90 high count
• Hammock dimensions: 108'' long x 56" diag. wide
• Mesh: 20D polyester No-See-Um netting
• Suspending ropes: Two10’ long 1500 lb. test spectra ropes.
• Webbing straps: 1.5" wide by 42" long polyester
• Rainfly weight: 11.7 oz / 300g
• Rainfly fabric: 30D High tenacity PU / Silicone coated nylon ripstop66
• Rainfly dimensions: A parallelogram short side 70", long side 120", short diagonal 128", long diagonal 140"
• Color: Bark (Greyish, Brownish Green)
• Stuff Sack: Logo and set up instructions printed on ripstop polyester bag (18 g / 0.6oz)
• What's included: All Hennessy Hammocks come complete with attached mosquito netting, detachable rain fly, support ropes, and stuff sack with set up instructions on back. Hennessy Hammock also provides complimentary standard 42" long "Tree Hugger" webbing straps to protect the bark of trees. Because these accessory webbing straps are complimentary, they are weighed separately from the hammock. Also, for a limited time, free Snakeskins are included with each hammock ordered online.
• MSRP: $249.95
Hilleberg Anjan 2 and 3 tunnel tents
Historically known for making lightweight all-season tents of the highest quality, Hilleberg is breaking out of the mold for 2012 with the introduction of their first ever 3 season tents geared for users who don’t need all season function but still demand both great strength and light weight. The new Anjan 2 and 3 tunnel tents are based on the proven Nallo design. “There’s definitely a demand for lighter weight tents that still provide protection in unpredictable weather in the warmer months, and we’re excited to be offering an excellent solution for our customers,” says Petra Hilleberg, President of Hilleberg USA. “Our new 3 season tents are not mere ‘summer tents.’ They are designed just like all Hilleberg tents but use the new Kerlon 1000 outer tent fabric which is a lighter weight than the Kerlon 1200 and 1800 fabric we have been using in our all-season tents for quite some time now.” The Anjan 2 and 3 tunnel tents are about 20 percent lighter than their Nallo all-season cousins, with minimum weights of 3 lbs 1 oz and 3 lbs 8 oz respectively. As with Hilleberg’s all-season models, the Rogen and Anjan have poles on their outer tents to maximize structural strength, and their linked inner and outer tents allow for quick and easy simultaneous pitching or separate use.
Features of the Anjan 2:
• Minimum Weight: 3 lbs 3 oz
• Packed Weight: 3 lbs 14 oz
• Inner Height 40 in
• Inner Tent Area 30.1 square feet
• Vestibule Area 14 square feet
• Outer Tent Fabric: Kerlon 1000
• Poles (9 mm): 1x120.1, 1x102.4 in
• Pegs: 12 tri-Pegs
Anjan 2 MSRP: $570
Anjan 3 MSRP: $598
Sierra Designs Pyro Maniac 15/30 Sleeping bag
With temperatures that can range from below freezing one day, to over 50 degrees the next day, it can be hard to decide what bag to grab when going out. Luckily Sierra Design has you covered. The Pyro Maniac 15/30 is built on Sierra Designs Core Comfort platform, which places insulation where it’s needed most- directly over the torso- to maximize heat retention for warmth without bulk. The Pyro Maniac features a pocket placed directly over the torso designed for an extra set of down baffles. This extra set of baffles will keep your core (and therefore the rest of your body) toasty warm down to 15 degrees. When the seasons change and the temperature rises, simply unsnap and remove this second set of baffles for excellent 30-degree performance.
• CCT Torso Panel
• Convertible temperature bag - adjustable from 15oF to 30oF
• Snag-free zipper tracks
• Draw cord at collar
• Draft collar
• Pillow pocket
• Easy access, ventable, 60 inch zipper
• Zipper draft tube
• Ergonomic hood and footbox
• Includes stuff and storage sacks
• Total weight for regular: 2 lbs 13 oz / 1.28 kg
• Temp Rating: 15º & 30ºF / -9º & -1ºC
• Shape: Mummy
• MSRP: $319.95
Eureka Dualis ST Sleeping Pad
The new Dualis ST Sleeping Pad combines the performance of an air tube pad on the top with a self-inflating mattress on the bottom for the comfort of a home mattress in a compact size for the outdoors. Features thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) laminated soft-touch anti-slip fabric on the air tube chamber and durable anti-slip 150D polyester oxford ripstop with TPU lamination as the ground fabric, offering durability and slip-resistance.
• R-Value: 3.7
• Weight: 2 lbs 15 oz
• Size: 72” x 20”
• Thickness (foam / tube) 1.25 / 2.75 in Number of Tubes 6
• Pack Size 5” x 23”
• Top Fabric Soft-touch nonslip 75D x 150D peached polyester
• Bottom Textile Nonslip 150D polyester oxford ripstop
• Foam Type Solid
• Fill Material Urethane foam
• Valve 2, brass
• Inflation 8 - 12 breaths
• MSRP: $99.90
The Klymit Cush is a seat and/or pillow, allowing the user to adapt it to their preferred height and firmness. This pad has five configurations and makes the most rugged places in the world comfortable. And when you are not using it, it will pack down smaller than a baseball.
• MSRP $19.95
Therm-a-rest NeoAir Jembe Seat
Turn your NeoAir mattress into the ultimate backcountry seat: NeoAir stability allows you to sit comfortably above the ground. The chair is light enough to pack on any trip and the durable 200D nylon base resists punctures.
• Stable: NeoAir™ construction creates a raised seat that is comfortable and firm.
• NeoAir™ Compatible: Fits all NeoAir™ mattress sizes and widths except Small.
• Weight: 3.7 oz / 105 g
• Diameter: 14 in / 36 cm
• Height: 18 in / 46 cm
• MSRP: $39.95
Wegner Solar Chargers
Wenger, Maker of the Genuine Swiss Army Knife, has introduced a complete family of Solar Chargers, ideal for the outdoor enthusiast. The new line includes three models, featuring a standard Solar Charger, Top Solar Charger and Solar Charger Pro. Small enough to pack on any camping trip but large enough to charge phones, tablets, GPS’s and more, the new Solar Chargers are almost as versatile and functional as a Wenger Swiss Army Knife. Made of robust, flexible and waterproof polycrystalline solar panels, Wenger’s Solar Chargers are a smart, portable solution to charge your electronic devices on the go. A great accessory to Wenger’s Camping Gear, these Solar Chargers easily attach to a tent, bike, pack, kayak, car top and almost anything else that one might carry or ride.
Each model includes a high capacity lithium battery which accumulates and stores generated power that can be used on-demand for GPS, tablets, smart phones, e-readers, digital cameras and more. The battery features a USB input that's compatible with hundreds of electronic devices and to make life even easier, each Wenger Solar Charger includes a retractable USB connector and 5 adapters. Additionally, all three models are water-resistent and foldable, and include features like a rear battery pocket and optional LED light.
Wenger’s Solar Chargers are available in three sizes:
• Standard: 2 panels = 2.25 watts - $180.00
• Top: 4 panels = 4.5 watts - $270.00
• Pro: 6 panels = 6.75 watts - $340.00
• To learn more check out http://www.wengerna.com/solar-chargers-main
Toughstake Tent stakes
When going out in the Spring snow can still be lingering. And because of this your traditional stake might not be an option when anchoring down your three season tent. But the Toughstake's design hold 10x better than a traditional top anchored stake in snow and sand. The design of this stake is that the anchor pulls from the bottom of the stake using the snow as weight to hold the stake in. The stakes are lightweight made out of aircraft aluminum and come in three sizes. Storage is simple, as each Toughstake simply nest together, minimizing space.
• Color: Dark Satin Orange
• Finish: Anodized
• Material: 6061 T6 Aluminum
• MSRP: $19.99-$69.99
LightStar 80 from TerraLUX
The LightStar 80 from TerraLUX is a rugged new lightweight flashlight designed specifically with the needs of extreme environments in mind. Unlike most LED flashlights that distort colors with a cool tint, the LightStar 80 has a warm color spectrum that brings colors to life unlike any other LED light. Additionally, the flashlight features a rubber BiteGrip so you never have to scrape your teeth on a metal handle again when you need both hands free. Made from airplane grade aluminum, the LightStar 80 is 5.5 inches long and weighs a mere 2.4 ounces. It has a 5-hour battery life runtime and comes with 2AAA alkaline batteries and a high tension, reversible pocket clip.
• 80 lumen output
• High CRI (Color Rendering Index) LED brings colors to life like no other LED you’ve ever seen
• 5 hour runtime
• Rubber BiteGrip for hands-free use
• Comes with 2AAA alkaline batteries and high tension, reversible pocket clip
• Momentary on, click for constant on/off
• Operates on 2 AAA alkaline batteries (included)
• Water resistant
• Aircraft grade aluminum
• Length: 5.5in./13.97cm.
• Diameter: .625in./1.59cm.
• Weight: 2.24oz./63.50g. with batteries
• Limited lifetime warranty
• MSRP: $29.99
MSR Flex 4 System and MSR Alpine Deluxe Kitchen Set
The MSR Flex 4 is a cooking system that packs small but is a high capacity, full-featured cook systems for groups of four or more. It includes a hard-anodized 5.3 L pot, 3.2 L nonstick pot, 2 strainer lids, 4 deepdish plates, 4 insulated stainless mugs and 1 pot handle.
• Large-Capacity: Easy-to-grip, 5.3L.dual-handle pot for big, one-pot group meals and boiling.
• Nested design: Saves valuable space in your pack or car.
• Dual Cooking Surfaces: Both nonstick and uncoated, hard-anodized aluminum pots maximize cooking versatility.
• Comprehensive: Includes two lids plus insulated mugs and DeepDish™ plates for four.
• Height: 6.25 in / 15.88 cm
• Diameter: 12 in / 30.48 cm
• Weight: 3 lbs 10.8 oz / 1666.1 g
• MSRP: $159.95
Now partner the Flex 4 with the MSR Alpine Deluxe Kitchen set and you will get a comprehensive set of tools for outdoor cooking. A releasable webbing handle makes the protective zippered case easy to hang anywhere and inside, two generous mesh pockets replace old-school elastic loops that tend to limit versatility, stretch out and lose their grip over time. Includes pot strainer/cheese grater, moisture-resistant salt and pepper shaker, folding cutting board, stainless steel utility knife and more.
• 100% BPA-Free Materials
• Alpine™ Folding Spoon, Spatula and Strainer/Grater: Spoon is calibrated for common measurements and Strainer doubles and cheese grater.
• Alpine™ Salt & Pepper Shaker: New design is moisture resistant and holds plenty.
• Alpine™ Dish Brush /Scraper: Nonstick friendly pot cleaner with edge radius to match cookware.
• Alpine Kitchen Knife: 4.5" Santoku-styled knife in a ventilated, plastic sheath is made from 440-series high-carbon stainless steel.
• PackTowl® Dish Towel: The original travel towel absorbs four times its weight in water–over and over–dries fast and is built to survive years of abuse.
• Deluxe case: Zippered, semi-rigid case with two large zippered mesh pockets for maximum versatility.
• Alpine™ Deluxe Cutting Board: Strong, hinged design for durability and portability.
• Plus: (2) squeeze bottles, Bottle opener/corkscrew.
• MSRP: $54.95
Industrial revolution Matches
Do you often run out of match before you have the fire started? If you answered yes to this then the Long-Burn Matches are your answer. Damp wood, breezy conditions or a lack of kindling nearby can create frustrating situations where match after match burns out without even the tiniest bit of smoke forming in your fire. At approximately 3.75 inches in length the Long-Burn Match burns for 45 seconds up to a full minute, depending on conditions. This is five times the burn time of a regular match. The Long-Burn Matches also feature a carbonized matchstick for safer fire starting.
• Safety match burns 45 seconds to 1 minute depending on conditions—5 times longer than regular matches.
• Longer length (≈3.75″) keeps fingers from getting burned.
• Carbonized match stick for safer fire starting.
• Ideal for lighting campfires, fireplaces, stoves, BBQs, lanterns,candles, and more.
• Contains 50 matches per box
• MSRP: $2.49
Vapur is the maker of the Anti-Bottle: a portable, foldable, reusable, freezable, washable and attachable alternative to disposable bottles out there today. “The Element is designed to be the everyday, go-to hydration solution for active outdoor enthusiasts,” said co-founder, Chief Design Officer Jason Carignan. “It’s designed to enable you to stay hydrated on the go and be an essential piece of gear for the outdoor aficionado and the urban warrior alike.” The Vapur Element is equipped with a new widemouth Supercap™ for greater gulp-ability and a stronger, integrated clip that allows the Element to hang on during high adventure and in variable terrain. When the Element is empty, simply fold it up and stow it in your pack until you need to refuel. The versatility and efficiency of the Element reduces the space and waste traditionally found with disposable or rigid hydration bottles. It is constructed from a 3-ply combination of BPA-free nylon and antimicrobial Polyethylene, making the Element foldable, freezable, and dishwasher safe. In addition, Vapur’s patented, flexible design is lighter and easier to grip than rigid bottles, and folds flat when empty to go virtually anywhere.
• The Element comes in three unique, identifiable designs: Water, Fire, and Wind.
• MSRP: $11.99/.7L and $13.99/1L.