In part 2 of our Spring 2012 Camping Gear Guide, we looked for gear that would perform and make your camping trip a little more like home. We even included both a shower and a toilet. We included a few different tent options from family to a 2 person. We love to get in the backcountry and rough it as much as the next person, but there are times that a little convenience and comfort can go a long way. We hope that if you are not a big camper, take a look at these items and see that camping doesn't have to be cold, wet and miserable. And if you are a big camper, we are sure you will love the gear we have chosen.
Kelty Frontier Tent
The Kelty Frontier blends vintage materials with advanced designs to create a comfortable, easy to set up single wall shelter. A full cotton canvas body is treated with a water-repellant finish to keep rain at bay while abundant mesh windows keep air flowing or zip closed to for extra weather protection. A 72.5 square foot vestibule has two side doors and an oversized front door for easily storing gear or just hanging out when the weather turns bad. 73 square feet of internal space accommodates 4 cots for an extra comfy night’s sleep.
• Freestanding design
• Continuous pole-sleeve construction
• Clip and pole sleeve construction
• Taped floor seams
• Noiseless zipper pulls
• Fly vents
• Noiseless zipper pulls
• Closeable mesh vestibule panels
• Double track vestibule
• MSRP: $799.95
MSR Fast Stash
When talk turns to the lightest and most versatile ultralight shelters made, the Fast Stash is sure to be at the top of the list. With more than ample room for two plus gear, a full-protection, single-wall body with DuraShield™ coating pitches quickly with the included poles or your trekking poles for added weight savings. Ideal for a range of conditions, the side wings can be pulled in for maximum protection, pulled out for increased air circulation and covered exterior storage, or pulled back completely exposing broad side vents for maximum, flow-through ventilation. A covered entry allows the broad front door to easily be enjoyed by two – even in the rain.
• Ventilation: Mesh window on front door and mesh sides allow a broad range of ventilation and protection options.
• Easy Set-Up: Pitches quickly with two included poles or trekking poles.
• Stash-able: Simply pull poles out during the day to collapse and protect your gear; re-pitch by just reinserting poles when you return.
• Added Coverage: Front awning and side wings add external coverage and maintain ventilation in bad weather.
• Additional Features: (2) internal storage pockets, reinforced guy points, taped, DuraShield™-coated fabrics and bathtub floor.
• Weight: 1.3 kg (2 lb 14 oz)
• MSRP: $299.95
Sportz By Napier Sportz suv Tent
Napier Enterprises has overhauled its traditional Sportz SUV Tents and is launching the new Sportz SUV 82000 Tent. The new design features a full-length rain fly to protect you against the wettest weather and exceptional usability with a new frame design that is easily set up by one person. The patented removable vehicle sleeve fits hundreds CUVs, SUV’s and minivans to provide the most versatility and flexibility in camping. The Sportz SUV 82000 Tent wraps around the cargo area of your vehicle allowing you total access for additional sleeping spaces or for storing gear. No more having to leave your tent to get something you need from your vehicle – it’s all in one space.
• Roomy 9’ x 9’ tent sleeps 4-5 people
• Plenty of headroom with over 7’ in the center and 6’ at the corners
• Easily adjust the vehicle sleeve for a custom fit to your vehicle
• Steel and fiberglass pole structure for strength
• Bathtub style floor for superb waterproofing
• GoBe Dry ultimate rain protection system
• Full length, tape seamed rain fly with a 6’ x 6’ awning for shade
• Cyclone Venting system and 2 skylights for superb ventilation
• MSRP: $339.99
REI Women’s Joule Bag
The waterproof, breathable shell fabric of this 3-season, premium women's REI Joule goose down sleeping bag keeps the downy warmth dry so you sleep like a baby. Waterproof, breathable shell is an ultralight, coated ripstop nylon designed to dissipate moisture from the inside and repel moisture from the outside, keeping the down dry. 800-fill goose down is efficiently distributed for maximum warmth and compressibility; ultralight polyester mini-ripstop lining has a soft hand-feel.
• Women-specific bags are cut to match a woman's shape, and provide extra insulation for enhanced warmth
• 60% of insulation is put on top of bag where it contributes the most warmth and loft
• In-the-round pattern wraps vertical baffles around perimeter of sleeping bag, from head to foot, creating a 3-dimensional bag that wraps you in warmth
• Performance fit saves weight by reducing girth at shoulders, hips and lower legs while increasing thermal efficiency
• Baffle spacing is optimized to keep down in place and prevent cold spots
• Multi-chambered contour hood, insulated full-face muffler, puffy interior yoke, and full-length zipper draft tube with ground-level seams all work to keep heat in and cold out
• Trapezoidal footbox mirrors sleeping position for thermal efficiency and room to move
• External chest pocket keeps small essentials—headlamp, watch, glasses—right at hand and easy to find in the dark
• Differentiated drawcords (1 round, 1 flat) allow quick identification, even in the dark, so neck and hood adjustments are a cinch
• Zipper is backed by a wide, welded fabric flap that prevents snagging
• Pad loops provide attachment points to keep your sleeping bag and pad together, so you needn't worry about rolling onto the cold ground (straps sold separately)
• MSRP: $339 regular - $349 long
High Peak USA Cirque Sleeping Bag
For the camper who is looking for a bag that weights less than 3 lbs., this is the bag that delivers. Ideal for spring and fall camping, this 20-degree bag uses Invista Thermolite Extreme insulation and the shell is made of mini Ripstop, water repellant, windproof Vire nylon.
• Temp. Rating: 20F / -7C
• Sew-in Draft Tube and Chest Collar
• Hood with Drawstring Closure and Barrel Lock
• Two Bags Can Be Zipped Together
• #5 Two-Way ZYKK Zipper
• Anti-Snag Zipperband
• Thermal Collar
• Insulation: Invista Thermolite Extreme
• Top – Double Layer
• Bottom – One Layer
• Outer – Ripstop Nylon Taffeta / Nylon Taffeta
• Liner – Nylon Taffeta
• Size: 32.5″ x 80″ x 20.5″
• Filling Weight: 1 lb. 13 oz.
• Carry Weight: 2 lbs. 14 oz.
• MSRP: $259.95
ALPS Mountaineering Ultra-Light Air Pad
The Ultra-light air pads have a contoured shape and punched out foam to offer the lightest series of air pads yet, in the ALPS line. The Ultra-Light series also packs smaller, making them great for fast packing and for when every ounce matters. The Ultra-light series is composed of ultra-lightweight ripstop fabric and the jet stream open cell foam makes the inflation process quick and easy. The air pads are offered in a regular (20” x 72” x 1.5”) and a long (25” x 77” x 1.5”). The regular weighs a mere 1 lb. 8 oz. and the long weighs, 2 lbs. 2 oz.
• Great for Fast Packing When Every Ounce Matters
• Ultra Lightweight Ripstop Fabrics
• Punched Out Foam for More Weight Saving
• Tapered Shape Reduces Weight & Packed Size
• Jet Stream Open Cell Foam
• Two Sizes Available
• Stuff Sack & Repair Kit Included
• MSRP: Regular - $79.99, Long - $89.99
Therm-a-Rest Down Coupler
Quilted, 650-fill down and a brushed polyester surface help this feather bed for two push outdoor comfort decidedly over the top of your wildest expectations. A single strap and elastic trim mate mattresses together and perimeter snaps accept Therm-a-Rest® Down Comforters and Blankets as the finishing touches on the ultimate outdoor sleep experience.
• Plush: 650-fill, quilted down with brushed polyester cover provides exceptional, featherbed comfort.
• Versatile: Perimeter snaps mate with Therm-a-Rest comforters and blankets to make a complete sleep system.
• Fits: Mates any two mattresses with a combined width of up to 60” (154 cm).
• MSRP: $99.95-129.95
Eureka! Warrior 230 Lantern
Picture this… you are snug as a bug in your sleeping bag and ready to turn off the light and go to sleep, but... the lantern is on the other side of the tent and you need to get out of your sleeping bag (or do a tricky caterpillar move in your bag) to turn off the light. Wouldn’t it be great if you had a remote control for the light that you could use from the comfort of your bag? Eureka!’s new Warrior 230 portable LED lantern provides high output lighting, as well as a remote control! The lantern features a dimmer switch, carry handle, SOS flash mode, hanging hook, and runs on three D-size batteries. The remote control features a mini LED light and can control the lantern from up to 25” away.
• 2 Days continuous use on High!
• Manual or Infrared Remote Control operation
• Bright white area lighting
• Remove the diffuser globe to spread soft area light even further
• SOS (Morse Code) flash mode
• Dimming control adjusts power from 100% - 10%
• Blue LED indicator for IR stand-by mode
• Rubberized carry handle
• Rugged ABS housing with rubber grip accents
• Hang hook recessed into the Lantern base
• Extra hook included
• 3 D-Size Batteries; not included
• Remote Control contains it's own LED for use as a personal light
• Operating range of 26.25 ft. (8m)
• SOS emergency flash mode
• Carabiner clip
• MSRP: $64.99
EcoQue 12” Portable Grill
Energy Efficient, Portable Grills that combine exceptional performance with unparalleled convenience and versatility — with an EcoQue you can grill, bake, fry, roast, boil and even smoke your foods! EcoQue Grills consume up to 75% less fuel than similar sized grills. By utilizing our Energy Efficient Design, our 12” model can cook a meal for four people using as few as nine charcoal briquettes!
• Unique reflective pyramidic design focuses more heat up toward the cooking surface for optimal performance.
• Cook a meal for four people using as few as nine charcoal briquettes!
• No briquettes handy? Use any biomass fuel: sticks, twigs, wood chunks, lump charcoal, alcohol or other wood
• Easily adjust the amount of heat delivered to the cooking surface by changing the orientation, height, and quantity
• of the fuel.
• Made from high-quality stainless steel. They are durable, but lightweight, and collapse to just over 1” in thickness.
• Sets up with no tools in under a minute.
• Enclosed design makes the grill safe to use in environments that have high fire risk.
• MSRP: $119.95
Stansport 2 Burner Cast Iron Stove With Stand
The Stansport 2 Burner Cast Iron Stove withStand features all brass connections that will last a lifetime. Each burner produces 35,000 BTU's. It has a heavy duty frame and removable legs for easy transport. Perfect for car camping or a tailgate party.
• Each burner produces 35,000 B.T.U.'s
• Heavy dutys steel frame and removable legs.
• Hose and regulator included.
• Size: 30" X 15" X 28"
• MSRP: $173.99
RIO Adventure Compact Expandable Table
The RIO Adventure™ 2-in-1 Compact Expandable Table features a telescoping aluminum frame which sets up in two table top sizes: 28" x 27" and 48" x 27". The roll-top style table tops are constructed of heat-dissipating aluminum. The 28" x 27" top can be used with the un-telescoped frame to seat four people. Simply telescope the frame and add the additional table top piece for a 48" x 27" table top, which seats six people. The Compact Expandable Table features the double-duty Close-It Hold-It™ Strap System which tethers any handled trash bag to the side of the table while set up. When the table is folded, the Close-It Hold-It™ Strap System secures the table top dividers together for quick and easy packing. A telescoping table leg adjusts to uneven ground.
• Telescoping frame sets up in two sizes: 28" or 48" x 28" x 27"
• Two table top size options: 28" x 27" or 48" x 27"
• Seats four to six people
• Close-It Hold-It™ Strap System tethers trash bag and folded table top pieces
• Heat-dissipating aluminum table tops
• Telescoping leg adjusts to uneven ground
• Zippered carry bag with handle
• Unit weight: 12 lbs
• Weight capacity: 60 lbs
• Open sizes: 28" x 28" x 27" or 48" x 28" x 27"
• Folded size: 30" x 11.5" x 4"
• MSRP: $70.00
Slumberjack Big Steel Chair
Take a little luxury with you on your next outdoor adventure with the Slumberjack Big Steel Chair. The Big Steel Chair folds down flat to fit easily alongside the rest of your camping gear. A steel frame provides outstanding durability and longevity while added armrests and a double stitched polyester seat offer maximum comfort for lounging around the campsite. 100% PVC-free, this chair is easier on the environment than other folding chairs. The Slumberjack Big Steel Chair weighs 12-pounds and will support up to 325-pounds.
• Weight capacity: 325 lbs
• Dimensions: 25 x 33 x 19 in.
• Weight: 12 lbs
• 100% PVC free fabric
• Padded arm rests
• Steel frame
• Flat back textured powder coat
• MSRP: $55.95.
GCI Outdoor 360° Sports Stool
The 360° Sports Stool™ portable stool features a padded seat that swivels 360 degrees. The Shock-Cord Construction allows the legs to snap into place for quick set-up. The Anti-Splay Reinforcement Panel™ provides added strength and grounded leg stability. Constructed of powder-coated aluminum frame. Includes carry bag with shoulder strap for hands-free portability. Ideal for any outdoor activity including camping, bird watching, hiking, fishing, traveling, sporting events and picnicking.
• Padded seat swivels 360°
• Shock-Cord Construction legs for easy set-up
• Anti-Splay Reinforcement Panel™ for added leg strength
• Powder-coated aluminum frame
• Supports 250 lb (113.4 kg)
• Carry bag with shoulder strap
• Open size: 17 x 17 x 21 in (43.2 x 43.2 x 53.3 cm)
• Seat height: 21 in (53.3 cm)
• Folded size: 14 x 14 x 3 in (35.6 x 35.6 x 7.6 cm)
• Unit weight: 4 lb (1.8 kg)
• MSRP: $40.00
Wenger Asterion Lighter
The Asterion Lighter is not only a beautifully designed tool but a high performance lighting instrument as well. It’s made of strong impact-resistant polycarbonate with a Piezoelectric ignition system eliminating the need for batteries or flints and refills easily with butane fuel. A simple push of the well-placed trigger simultaneously pops up the top mounted burner and provides a Jet Flame fire source ignition which is perfect for getting a campfire going quickly.
• Jet flame
• Piezoelectric ignition technology
• Fill level window
• Refillable butane fuel
• Safety lock system
• MSRP: $84.95
Eton FRX 2
The radios in the FRX series (FRX 3, FRX 2 and FRX 1) are all self-powered. The FRX 2 has both a solar panel and hand turbine for recharging the internal lithium battery, along with an AM/FM/WB digital radio and display with NOAA weather alert. It also features direct power transfer technology, allowing the internal battery to charge other mobile devices when they are connected via the integrated USB port. Other features include a bright LED flashlight, glow-in-the-dark indicator for easy location, AC and DC input, headphone jack and digital alarm.
• Hand and turbine power and solar panel.
• USB smartphone charger
• AM/FM, WB Analog Radio
• LED Flashlight
• DIMENSIONS: 6" H x 4.5" W x 3" D
• MSRP: $40
Zodi Hot Tap Travel Shower
Enjoy the convenience of instant hot showers with matchless push button ignition. Portable and self contained, the Hot Tap is a popular instant hot showers. Equipped with a stainless steel burner, this Zodi shower provides endless hot water in just seconds. Includes a rugged plastic case that doubles as a 4 gallon water container. The powerful water pump delivers great water pressure (requires 4 "D" cell batteries). The Hot Tap is ideal for family camping.
• Single Burner on-demand water heater & instant hot shower system
• 4 gallon multi-purpose storage case holds water for up to a 10 minute shower
• Heats over 60 gallons of HOT water between battery and propane refills
• Adjust water temperature up to 100ºF with gas valves (recycle if needed)
• Easy to use... submerge self contained pump in water & ignite burner
• Waterproof battery case with on/off switch holds 4 "D" cell batteries
• Powerful 6 volt water pump with debris screen provides great pressure
• Extra long 8 ft flexible shower hose with water saving showerhead
• Fueled with convenient 16.4 oz disposable propane cylinders
• Stainless steel burner construction for extra durability
• Piezo push button ignition for "instant on" convenience
• MSRP: $169.95
CleanWaste GO anywhere toilet kit
Enjoy dignified convenience with the safe, sturdy, thoughtfully engineered, premium quality GO anywhere portable toilet®. This compact toilet weighs just 7 pounds and folds closed to standard briefcase size. It provides the comfort, height and ease of use of a standard toilet, supports up to 500 pounds and is stable on uneven ground. No mixing, messy chemical waste storage tanks or dump stations required.
• One portable toilet.
• 3 GO anywhere toilet kits®.
• Weight: 7lbs
• Supports up to 500 Lbs.
• To be used with GO anywhere toilet kits.
• Built-in carry handle.
• MSRP: $99.50
Probar Original Collection: Superfruit Slam
How can you make a PROBAR® even better? Make new flavors with loads of organic chocolate, peanut butter, or exotic fruits. PROBAR has expanded its most popular and well-known line of Original™ Whole Food Meal Bars to now include Double Chocolate, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter, and Superfruit Slam. The new Superfruit Slam incorporates several exotic “super fruits” including organic Acai, Mangosteen, Purple Corn, and Camu Camu. “The new bars are simply outstanding,” said PROBAR President Jules Lambert, “..., while Superfruit Slam is a rare flavor combination made from exotic super fruits.”
• Delicious meal replacement
• Certified Organic, 100% Vegan
• Good source of Omega 3 and 6
• MSRP: $2.99
The new water-resistant TrailPoint digital compass features a thermometer, a 24-hour chronograph with data recall, a countdown timer, and two daily alarms. Its carabiner clip allows you to hook it on a backpack or any D-ring for easy viewing, and it features a user-replaceable battery hatch.
• MSRP: $35.