Being part of the ten essentials, there aren't many things as important as a good light. Small, compact and bright, the UCO Clarus LED Lantern is the perfect light for backpacking or when size and weight matter. The Clarus is a dual purpose light that you can use as either a flashlight or lantern, and all of this at a great price.
I was impressed by how small this lantern is for all of its functionality. In flashlight and storage mode it is only 4.5" tall and 2" diameter. And when the lantern is needed it expands to 6.5" tall. You can see that my phone hieght it taller than this light when it is in flashlight mode. And the entire package with batteries only weighs 4 oz. Four settings provide the user different options. When a lot of light it needed, the highest setting produces 150 lumens. There are also mid and low settings when battery life is a must. The last setting is a strobe, ideal for emergency situations when you need to be seen. Switching between settings is easy by using the on/off switch on the bottom of the light.
Switching from lantern mode to flashlight is also a breeze. The top end of the light just slide up, turning the whole thing into a lantern. The fogged or frosted plastic gives this light a nice feel, while still being super bright when needed. The best part of this lantern is your options when you set it down for hands free operation. You can set it on its tail end, top or it has a wire loop for hanging.
I really only have good things to say about this light. It is easy to use, durable and light. It is great flashlight when looking ahead in the dark but easily turns into a lantern for around camp light. Probably the best part of this light is the price. Being under 20 bucks it is a must have for most outdoor enthusiasts. So if you are looking for a gift for a friend or just for yourself, I suggest looking into the Clarus LED Lantern.
• Collapsible lantern is rugged, water resistant, and easy to transport.
• Frosted globe slides up for lantern mode and down for flashlight mode.
• Bright XP-E R3 CREE LED provides a diffused white light, in lantern mode, up to 150 lumens.
• Durable, plastic base with on/off button.
• Burns up to 70 hours.
• On/off button switches light levels from mid to bright to dim light to conserve batteries or strobe for emergeny situations.
• Includes a hook for hanging.
• Battery Type (not included): Three 1.5V AAA alkaline
• Battery Life—up to: 70 hours
• Beam Projection: 164 feet (50 m)
• Bulb Type: Super bright XP-E R3 CREE LED
• Highly water resistant: IPX 6
• Dimensions—open: 6.5″ high x 2″ diameter (16.5 cm x 5.1 cm)
• Dimensions—closed: 4.5″ high x 2″ diameter (11.4 cm x 5.1 cm)
• Weight (w/ batteries): 4.0 oz. (112 g)
• Warning: Do not look directly into the LED light.
• MSRP: $19.99