One of the best things about spring camping is cool nights and toasty sleeping bags. In this gear guide we have found some great products to help you sleep better and have a more enjoyable time camping this spring. We have included a few items that will help those people who can't leave their technology home, but we have also found a great game to keep the kids busy while back in camp. We are also giving away a Gerber Freescape Camp Kitchen Knife to one lucky reader. Read to find out how to enter to win.
Gerber Freescape Camp Kitchen Knife
The Freescape Camp Kitchen Knife features a santoku-inspired blade shape that excels at food preparation with a full fine edge. While it chops exceptionally well, the rugged full-tang construction ensures that it will hold up to any other campsite abuse it might see. The handle features the Freescape textured pattern with a rubberized surface for a secure hold in all conditions. And the knife is dishwasher safe, making cleanup simple. The durable sheath, made of neoprene and nylon, keeps the knife secure and easily attaches to your belt or can be tossed in a pack.
Easy to haul on any trail, the feature-rich TN 3 tent is compact and lightweight, designed to pack easily while saving space inside your backpack. Part of Kelty’s new TraiLogic collection, this tent features shorter tent pole sections and the new Tent Cube stuff sack allowing them to pack down smaller than standard tents, easily fitting into the Kelty TraiLogic PK 50 (or any other) backpack. The Stargazing Fly gives an unobstructed view of the sky for nighttime entertainment. And if it does begin to rain, this fly can be fully deployed without ever leaving your sleeping bag. Oversized doors are convenient while abundant interior space provides a comfortable place for sleeping, reading, or waiting out a storm. The 4-pound, 15-ounce TN 3 offers 39.5 square feet of interior floor space
I know for some people this will be a turn off as when they get into the outdoors they want to completely unplug. But for others this will be a dream come true. The Entertainment Center Loft is a water resistant case that allows you to watch a tablet in the tent. It will give you the ability to use your tablet without worrying about it getting ruined. You could pre-load tablet with maps and plan the next day’s hike, watch a movie while it rains or be as connected as you want to be. It simply clips into tent gear loft loops for quick and easy set up.
• Water resistant case with clear screen will help keep your device dry and secure
• Adjustable case fits most tablet-sized devices
• Full size 12” x 8.5”/30.5 x 21.5cm easily adjusts down to approximately 8”x8.5”/20 x 21.5cm
• Hooks and adjustable straps enable you to set up your theater wherever you go
• Mesh speaker pocket doubles as cord stash pocket
• Carry/hang loop
• Compatible with Big Agnes tents and any others with gear loft loops
Sky Bed Bug Free takes insect free hammock camping to a whole new level. Using an innovative asymmetric design, the Sky Bed Bug Free provides an amazingly flat and comfortable relaxation space. The sleep space is defined by a silver parachute nylon sleeve, which will accommodate most any sleeping pad on the market. Using your sleeping pad in the Sky Bed Bug Free provides thermal protection and helps to create the stunningly flat sleeping surface. The attached No-See-Um mesh has 2100 holes per square inch and will repel every bug in the book. The netting is also super strong and resists snags and tears. The Sky Bed is made from super strong rip stop nylon, which is reinforced with webbing at all of the seams. Weighing in a only 32 oz and complete with 100 inches of 6mm climbing rope on each end, Sky Bed Bug Free will provide both a comfortable and insect free camping experience.
• Dimensions: 142" x 57"
• Weight: 32 oz
• Unique Asymmetrical Design Allows For An Amazingly Flat & Comfortable Sleeping Space
• Integrated Sleeve Designed To Fit Your 72" x 20" Inflatable or Foam Sleeping Pad
• 2100 Holes Per Square Inch No-See-Um Netting Repels Gnats, Fleas, Sandflies &, Mosquitoes - Complete Bug Free Protection
• Ripstop Nylon Hammock Construction Provides Exceptional Strength While Parachute Nylon Silver Sleeve Accommodates Most Any Pad
• Built In Suspension System - 100" Per Side Of
• Super Strong 6 mm Climbing Rope For Hammock 100" Cord Per Side To Hang The Netting All Seams Reinforced With Nylon Webbing
The Vela Blanket brings a level of comfort to warm weather car camping and road tripping that is somewhere between decadent and embarrassingly amazing. Included Loop Kit and side snaps allow attachment to most mattresses, coupling with another Therm-a-Rest blanket, or even as an extra layer over our sleeping bags to boost warmth. Along with the exceptional comfort of 650-fill down, you’ll enjoy the freedom to move and easily regulate your temperature as you like, all night long. It is available in a double as well.
One of the best things about camping, especially car camping is that weight is usually not a factor when choosing gear. Ticla has impressed the car camping scene and has made some great gear to go along with it. The Tsubo is just one of many great products that they have designed with comfort in mind. The Tsubo is a 2.5 inch self-inflatable foam mattress designed with sweet dreams in mind. Anti-slip material ensures that campers don’t roll off their pads in the middle of the night. Durable construction and valves minimize points of failure for a pad that will last for years to come.
• Material: 75D Polyester with Brushed Finish
• Weight: Medium = 4.75 pounds; Larger = 4.95 pounds
• Seams: Heat Welded
• Dimensions: Medium = 70"x25"x2.5" : Larger = 78"x25"x2.5"
• Fabric: 75D Polyester with Brushed Finish
• Stuff Sack: 50D Nylon with Draw Cord and Plastic Cord Lock
The Skeeter Beaters are a great solution to turning your SUV, truck, van, or can into a insect/mosquito free camper. The Skeeter Beater magnetic vehicle window screen is a patented design that adheres to your metal window frame using non-abrasive, high-energy magnets that will not shatter or break. Once your mesh window screens are in place they will stay that way, even if the kids open and close the doors all day long. They pack in their own drawstring bag and fit easily into the glove box, a door pocket, or the map pocket behind your seats.
• Lightweight and portable
• Made using a durable, 100% polyester no-see-um mesh fabric
The Joey Chair – named for the baby kangaroo and the compact pouch it lives in – packs down to the size of a large California burrito and under 2 lbs. Featuring a lightweight drawn aluminum frame, shock cord system to avoid lost parts, the highest seat height of any competitor, and durability developed from 30 years of camp chair manufacturing. The Joey is light, comfortable, packs down to nothing and still supports 300lbs.
Using the latest Bluetooth 4.0 technology, the Turtle Shell 2.0 wirelessly connects with any Bluetooth-enabled device and streams crystal clear Hi-Fi audio for a range of up to 32 feet for 16 hours on a single battery charge. The heavily water-resistant, dust-proof and shock-proof outer shell features Outdoor Tech’s signature triangle-themed construction providing omnidirectional room filling audio. The speaker is extremely versatile, you can take it camping, to the beach or use it at home. Complete with a built-in mic, you can make and receive hands-free calls from anywhere. And it comes with standard camera threading and an extra strong metal leash clip built into the base for multiple mounting options, as well as a 3.5mm audio-in port and cable for use with non-Bluetooth devices.
• Two speakers and passive bass radiator provide 96 decibels of clear sound, wirelessly (20% louder than the original Turtle Shell®.)
• Connect to any Bluetooth-enabled device with easy one-touch pairing.
• Reconnects automatically to previously paired device.
• Rechargeable lithium-ion battery with 16 hours of play time, and over 700 hours of standby time.
• IPX-65 dust-proof and water resistant. We tested it. It passed.
• Built-in microphone, 'cause you've got a lot to say (sometimes to Siri).
• External controls allow you to adjust volume, change tracks, play/pause 'The Best Marching Band Tunes of Henry Souza' and answer calls.
• Standard camera thread and extra strong metal leash clip for multiple mounting options.
• Voice Prompts let you know what is going on.
• Bluetooth Profiles: aptX audio codec for high quality stereo audio, A2DP & AVCRP to control track and volume remotely.
• Bluetooth 4.0 with enhancements like battery level "fuel gauge" displayed on source device, quick pairing/connections, and low power consumption.
• Micro USB charge port gives you freedom to use any micro USB cord you have available, even your mom's.
• 3.5mm audio-in port in case you are still rocking a Walkman.
A lot has changed in the lantern world since the candlestick days, and the Secur Products’ Outdoor Emergency Spotlight and Lantern is proving this to be true. Requiring no batteries, wall outlet or solar charge, or other fuel source, the SP-1101 is a lantern that is not only off the grid, it can also be its own power source. This unique and versatile lantern has four different valuable settings: lantern, spotlight, red, emergency flashing light and USB charging station. The high-power 10 LED lantern function puts out 32 lumens of light and runs 135 minutes with a full charge. The spotlight feature is helpful for both emergencies and convenience. The high-powered 3 LED spotlight puts out 18 lumens of light, and can run for 5.5 hours on a full charge. The red, flashing emergency light setting is designed as a rescue and emergency tool. The red flashing light has 5 LED lamps and will run 30 hours on a full charge so responders can easily find the location of the emergency. One of the most unique functions of the lantern is its USB charging capabilities. Everything from cell phones to a GPS unit can be charged in the middle of nowhere or during a power outage without needing an outlet or batteries.
• High Power 3 LED Spotlight
• High Power 10 LED Lantern
• Red 5 LED Flashing Emergency Lights
• Dynamo Generator – Never Needs Batteries
• Can Be Charged Via USB Input Port From a computer, DC Car Adapter or AC Home Adapter
• Charges Smart Phones or Other Digital Devices with Output USB Port
• Swivel Handle for Flashlight or Lantern Function
Don’t be fooled by its size, Camp Chef’s Everest 2 Burner Stove packs a lot of power under the hood. This small stove will boil or heat in a hurry with the two high-pressure propane burners. Powered by a portable propane take the Everest is designed to grab and go, making it perfect for any weekend adventure. A matchless ignition systems fires up the Everest quickly and easily. The nickel-coated steel cooking grate is strong and built to hold your pots, griddles, and skillets.
Kelly Kettle is introducing yet another dependable, and reliable product to their Kelly Kettle lineup. The Hobo Stove is an accessory that works in conjunction with the large Kelly Kettle firebase. Made from high grade, rugged stainless steel, the Hobo Stove is perfect for the backpacker that wants to travel light. This wood burning stove flips right side up and sets on the inner rim of the Kettle’s firebase. The wide surface area makes it safe to use any size pot or pan, and the large opening in the side of the ring, makes stoking the fire a cinch. When you’re ready to hit the trail, simply flip the Hobo Stove upside down and pack it inside the firebase. The compact design allows you to put the Hobo Stove inside the firebase - add a Kelly Kettle cookset and pack it inside the Hobo Stove – then add a set of Kelly Kettle’s new Stainless Steel mugs to the cookset – and you’re ready for anything. The Hobo Stove can be used by itself, but add it to the Kelly Kettle, and you add a new dimension of versatility to your Kelly Kettle System.
• Fuel efficient: Heat is directed toward the pot or fry pan on the top.
• Works in all weather conditions.
• Uses any solid fuel.
• Compact: Packs away inside the Kelly Kettle fire-base
Canisters keep your food or dry goods fresh and tasty because they're made from high-quality, 18/8 food-grade stainless steel that doesn't absorb food flavors or odors. Better still, these vacuum insulated canisters can keep things toasty warm or icy cold en route. The wide opening allows easy scooping, pouring and cleaning. The lid creates 100% stainless steel interior and locks in flavor with an airtight seal. These food canisters are strong, durable, shatterproof, leak-proof, and beautiful as well.
• Tare It Up™ bulk-ready and grease pencil friendly containers
• 18/8 food-grade stainless steel
• 100% stainless interior
• Doesn't retain or impart flavors
• Leak-proof, airtight, and shatter-proof
• Stackable, elegant design looks and works great on the counter
• Transport to and from work, school, take-out or deli counter
• Solid, handcrafted construction
• Easy to clean (rounded corners)
• BPA-free and eco-friendly
• Wide mouth for scooping, filling & pouring
• Silicone seal locks in freshness and flavor
• Lifetime warranty
• Insulated Canisters keep contents hot up to 3 hours
• Insulated Canisters keep contents cold up to 5 hours
Coghlan’s Fire Discs are an ideal fuel source for starting campfires or wood stoves. Made of cedar and highly refined wax, they are designed to light easily and to burn hot. Since most meals take less than 30 minutes to cook, they are also a perfect solution as an emergency source of heat for cooking. Can be stored indefinitely.
After a long and active day recreating in the outdoors one of the most enjoyable experiences is returning to camp and sinking into a chair next to the fire, relaxing and enjoying conversation with family and friends. Unless you have kids interrupting every few seconds, that is. Traditionally parents would send their kids off to hunt for a mythical creature called a Snipe. Now, kids actually can search for it and compete against each other in the new outdoor Snipe Hunt game. Consisting of two Snipe creatures and two home bases, teams hide their Snipe and then try to be the first to find their opponents. If too much time passes the Snipes begin to chirp and their eyes start to glow red providing clues to their location.