Looking to still get in a few more days at the crag this fall? This guide is full of gear that will help you reach your full potential this fall while still doing it in comfort and style. There are a couple new belay devices that are worth looking into as well as a tent that is changing how tent poles are designed and constructed. So climb on.
Sierra Designs Prophecy 35 Crag Pack
Designed specifically for rock climbers, the Prophecy 35 offers a ton of features to help keep gear organized and easy to access. A three-way, 'T' shaped zipper allows easy access to ropes, harnesses, chalk bags, and shoes while internal gear-racking loops help keep protection organized and easy to find. For added versatility, the Prophecy comes with a three-point haul system.
The Prophecy's suspension system is designed for superior comfort and support on long approaches and gear-intensive days. Thermo-molded shoulder straps and waistbelt hug the body while a single DAC aluminum stay and HDEP frame sheet add support. Easily adaptable, the Prophecy's framesheet and waistbelt are removable for traveling light. Available in two sizes, climbers will be able to find a pack that fits.
Prophecy S/M specs:
Torso fit range- 16-18.5"
Weight- 3 lbs, 7 oz.
Volume- 35 liters / 2100 cubic inches
Prophecy M/L specs:
Torso fit range- 18-20.5"
Weight- 3 lbs, 8 oz.
Volume- 35 liters / 2200 cubic inches
Reach the Peak Hybrid Down Jacket
On the cool morning approaches or the late returns the Reach the Peak Hybrid down Jacket is the jacket to pack. This innovative hybrid combines the ultra-light warmth and compressibility of down with swatches of super-stretching knit that have been pieced in where you need them most, like under the arms and at back shoulder. It has an Omni-Heat® reflective interior to provide warmth but not the bulk, as well as thermal regulation so you won’t overheat. Omni-Shield® advanced repellency sheds light rain as well. Having super-light, 700-fill down insulation, the Reach the Peak Jacket compresses into a tiny package and adds very little to the overall weight of your pack.
• Fabric: Shell: 100% Tactel™ nylon ripstop, 96% polyester/4% elastane. Lining: 100% polyester, 100% polyester abrasion-resistant fleece. Insulation: 90% down/10% feather
• Omni-Heat thermal reflective
• Omni-Shield advanced repellency
• 3-point Interchange system
• Comfort cuffs with thumbholes
• Interior security and zip-closed hand pockets
• 700 fill power down insulation
• Center back length: 28.5”
• MSRP: $180.00
Rock On Soft Shell Jacket
Rock On’s soft shell jacket provides both protection and comfort without breaking the bank. Having a jacket that can perform and just over $100 is rare to come by. This jacket works well in a variety of conditions including cold, wind & rain. A note at the bottom or their page they warn against just using this jacket “ as a replacement for adequate rain gear (or common sense) during periods of extended precipitation.”
• 100% Polyester – Flexible and Stretchable
• Fleece lined insulating layer
• Underarm zippers for ventilation (mesh lined)
• One handed waist drawstring cinch cord
• Two zippered side pockets
• One zippered external chest pocket
• One zippered interior pocket
• Two large interior ‘drop’ pockets
• Adjustable Velcro cuffs with tabs (easily adjustable while wearing gloves)
• MSRP: $110.00
Gramicci Rockin Sport Pant
Gramicci has specifically engineered the Rockin Sport as a climbing pant. That said, it is simple, durable, and flexible, with its signature "freedom of movement" gusset crotch. The one piece diamond gusset crotch is the most copied design element in the climbing world and it was Mike Graham aka "gramicci" that brought it. The "one hand" adjustable lock and release belt and buckle make it easy to adjust the pants. The G Pant fabric "DOURADA" is a Gramicci exclusive durable double ring spun "Stout Weave" cotton to better resist tearing and abrasion.
• 100% Cotton
• Freedom of Movement Engineered Gusset
• Flex-Fit Elastic Waistband with Zipper Fly and Button Closure.
• Exclusive Built-in Two Piece Buckle with Rugged Ridge Weave Ladder Pattern Nylon Web Belt.
• Deep Never Lost Pockets
• Double-Felled Reinforced Stitching Throughout
• Wash separately in cold water before wearing
• Available in 3 Inseam Lengths: 30/32/34
• MSRP: $58.00
adidas Terrex Swift Stretch Fleece jacket
Being able to stay warm but without overheating is important while climbing during the fall. The adidas Terrex Swift Stretch Fleece Jacket was built just for that. Built with sweat-releasing CLIMALITE® fabric, the jacket is enhanced with high-performance Cocona to expedite cooling, control odor and block harmful UV rays while still adding warmth.
• FORMOTION™ follows the natural movement of sport for a better fit and greater comfort in motion
• Zip pocket on left chest; Full zip with snug hood
• Drawcord on hem for adjustable fit
• Cocona fabric technology uses activated carbon for moisture-releasing cooling, odor resistance and 50+ SPF UV protection
• Applied 3-Stripes down sleeves; adidas brandmark on left chest
• 100% polyester jacquard
• MSRP: $60.00
Scarpa Gecko Guide
Looking for an approach shoe that is comfortable and provides great traction, then you must check out the Gecko. Scarpa labels the sole as a vertical approach sole which climbs more effectively and also provides better traction for descending loose terrain. The suede construction molds to the foot, while the webbing rib cage secures forefoot and the slingshot heel rand provides a precision fit. The midsole is made up of polyurethane inserts which provide cushion without decreasing the sensitivity required of an approach shoe.
• Rubber toe rand
• Upper: Suede and Lorica®
• Lining: Vellutina
• Midsole: PU and microporous EVA
• Outsole: Vibram® Vertigo Sticky dot rubber
• Last: FV
• Sizes: 39 - 47, 48 (half sizes)
• Weight: 377g; 13oz (1/2 pair size 42)
• Color: Taupe
• MSRP: $169
Boreal Kintaro Women’s Shoe
The Kintaro is a performance climbing shoe with a precise fit. It has superb sensitivity and an aggressive downturned profile. The double Velcro closure holds the foot securely in the shoe. This shoe is ideal for those looking to reach their limits this fall, on hard bouldering problem or steep/overhanging climbs.
• Sizes: 3 - 8 u.k. in half-sizes.
• Weight: 488 gr. pair. Size 6 u.k.
• Uppers : High quality Split leather with reinforced double velcro closure. Integrated padded mesh tongue for comfort. Optimum fit from new 2-way tension 'V2 Rand'.
• Lining: Unlined.
• Midsole: Special anti-deformation midsole with anatomic cutaway.
• Sole: Ultra sticky Boreal ZENITH outsole. 5 - 5.5 mm thickness depending on size.
• Construction: Slip-lasted.
Easton Hat-Trick Tent
The Hat-Trick is a lightweight four-season tent that packs down small, yet roomy when set up. The three-pole design delivers unparalleled stability with ample space for three. The advanced Easton Carbon EVO™ frame utilizes the revolutionary AirLock™ connectors to deliver get lightweight performance. Color-coded poles match Pole Pilot™ sleeves and the rain fly can remain attached for easier set up in challenging conditions. Hat-Trick offers a low weight-to-space ratio while still offering the long-lasting durability of PU5000mm floor and 1500mm fly.
• Four season
• High-capacity, Three person
• Lightweight versitility, 5lbs 5oz pack weight
• USA-built Easton Carbon EVO pole system with AirLock connectors
• Easton PolePilot™ pole sleaves for easy set-up
• Fly can remain attached for easy set-up
• Internal gear pockets
• Reflective door opening
• Trail Weight - 5.5 lbs / 2.49 kg
• Packaged Weight - 6.34 lbs / 2.87 kg
• Capacity - Three Person
• Stuffed Size - 21in X 7in
• Canopy Fabric 20D Lightweight nylon no-see-um mesh, F/R
• Fly Fabric - Ultralight 20D nylon ripstop, Sil/PU 1500mm, F/R
• Floor Fabric - Ultralight 30D nylon ripstop, PU 5000mm, F/R
• Head Height - 48 in / 122 cm
• Poles - Three-pole Carbon EVO™ high-strength composite with AirLock™ connectors
• Doors - Two
• Floor Area - 48.2 sq ft / 4.5 sq m
• Vestibule Area - 9 sq ft / .85 sq m x 2
• Footprint - Weight: .78 lbs (.35 kg)
• Size: 85" Length x 63-69" Width
• MSRP $599
Millet Absolute Pro Rope
The Absolute Pro is a slim and lightweight rope that can help you finish any of those final projects this fall. Its design stems from experience of vertical terrains, knowledge of technologies, and the fruit of years of constant research. It’s a triple certified rope, ideal for pros and experienced amateurs. Fluid, compact, and very slim, it has a very low impact force.
• Weight per meter – 54g
• Impact force – 860daN
• Number of falls – 6
• Extension – 31.8%
• MSRP: $250.00• Strands – 48
Sterling Rope ATS
The ATS device is a versatile belay and rappel device designed for both rock climbing and canyoneering. This unique device accommodates the need for various friction settings on rappel and belay, as well as auto lock-off belay options. The ATS incorporates the best parts of a tube or plate device and a figure 8 with ‘hyper-horns’ into one compact durable frame.
• MSRP: $39.95
Mad Rock Aviator
The Aviator uses the idea of the standard tube-styled belay device as a starting point and improves upon it. One of the great features of the Aviator is the unique removable spring that keeps the device from locking when you feed the rope. Being made with aircraft aluminum the device is light weight. The Aviator also works for belaying seconds off an anchor and can be easily rigged for releasing a load when used off an anchor as well. The Aviator's unique ergonomic "fin" can be used to modulate speed while lowering or descending.
• Weight 3.5 oz/ 99 grams
• Size 8-11 mm
• MSRP: $15.95
Sterling Rope Hollow Block
This is a piece of gear that is both lightweight and inexpensive and should be in every climber aerosol of tools. The Hollow Block is a unique sewn prusik or climb heist made from our RIT 900™ cord. This hollow braid cord is made of 100% aramid fiber, giving it added strength, durability and gripping power on rope 7mm and larger. It is sewn with Sterling’s proprietary sewing pattern.
• MSRP: $10.60
ICON Irix headlamp
The ICON Irix headlamp is really unique for a few reasons. One is the ergonomic dial which allows you to save battery, use just the amount of light you need and operate just with one hand. Also, the light head pops off and can be used as a hand-held light as well, which is really convenient in the outdoors. It has the ability to move 90 degrees upward and about 60 degrees toward the ground which is nice when navigating and avoiding shining the bright light in someone’s eye.
• High-strength polymer body is durable and lightweight
• Power-regulated LEDs maximize output and runtime; never need replacing
• Reflectors create a focused beam pattern
• Ergonomic dial allows for easy control of output levels
• Comfortable, adjustable headband provides secure fit
• Sealed with O-rings; weatherproof
• Powered by one AA alkaline battery; included
• light output: 35/5 lumens
• runtime: 72 hours
• distance: 6.5 to 98 feet
• weight: 3.52 ounces
• MSRP: $39.99
The DeLorme inReach has the ability, when paired with either an Android phone or a DeLorme PN-60w GPS, to send and receive text messages anywhere in the world. So now when you reach the top or when you are final down of the mountain you can send a message to your loved one to let them know you’re okay. Besides the 2-way messaging, it also confirms message delivery, so you can be sure your message to home or emergency services was received.
• Send, receive text messages from beyond cell phone range
• Receive delivery confirmation
• Enable remote tracking
• Unique interactive SOS
• Pair with PN-60w or Android phone or use inReach by itself
• MSRP: $249.95
SeaLife Mini II Dive & Sport Camera
The Mini II is not for underwater use only. This camera can take a beating. Not that this camera is indestructible, but if it gets bumped against the wall a few times, it is not going to stop working. Waterproof and shockproof, the Mini II has been tested and guaranteed to operate underwater at depths down to 130 feet—without an external housing—and in addition to ensuring a sure grip, rubber armoring has provided for flawless operation after extensive 6-foot drop testing.
• Waterproof to 130ft / 40m
• Shockproof 6ft / 2m
• Fully rubber-armored body
• Large, wide spread 3-button controls for easy operation
• Easy Set-up mode 1-2-3 graphic on-screen guide for setting camera mode – no complicated menus
• Video mode at 30fps with Sound
• Soft Rubber grip design for sure grip
• Spy Mode – The camera automatically shoots continuous pictures at set time intervals
• Compact, Slim design (pocket size)
• 2x AAA batteries Alkaline (included), NiMH rechargeable or Energizer Ultimate lithium batteries
• Self-contained dive camera (no housing)
• 9 megapixels for sharp, high-resolution pictures.
• Large 2.4" TFT Color LCD for easy on-camera viewing
• Instant focus lens from 2 ft to infinity
• SD and SDHC card compatible (8GB recommended)
• MSRP: $ 259.95
The travelline is designed to fit in your pack so you can take it everywhere you go. The Travelline is made of thinner webbing for a lighter, more compact kit and a "stretchier" feel. Now after a long day on the wall you can came back to camp to play and relax on the slackline.
• Length from 10 feet up to 49 feet
• Rubber based prints provide added grip
• 2 inches wide (50mm), for low mounting height and safe handling
• Two parts set for fast assembly and disassembly
• Including instruction manual
• All in one shipping carton
• TÜV certified product
• Length Set: up to 15m (49ft)
• Width: 50mm (1.97 in)
• Max. tension: 2tons
• Ratchet with safety lever
• Ratchet strap length: 2m (6.56 ft)
• Protected loop slings
• Box size: 15" x 3" x 2.75"
• Box weight: 3.1 lb
• MSRP: $89.99