Winter has set in and the cold has arrived in a lot of areas. Having the right gear this winter while climbing will make all the difference. We have chosen new gear and also some classic gear that will make going out this winter climbing season a lot more comfortable and fun. Also if you are new to climbing, as always, we recommend that you get some training and then head out and have a good time.
First Ascent Downlight Hooded Jacket
This season, the ever popular Downlight family is expanding with the new Downlight Hooded Jacket. Dubbed as “hands down, the perennial guide favorite”, this jacket is sure to keep you warm with 800 European goose down fill complete with a full -zip front. Ultra packable and warm, the hooded iteration of the Downlight will protect your head in cold environments.
• 800 fill premium European goose down makes it Ultra-light, ultra-compressible, ultra-warm
• Water-repellent and windproof - Lightweight 1.06 oz 20-denier ripstop nylon with Stormrepel™ DWR finish
• Llightwieght and packable - Weighs in at under one pound
• Integrated stretch - Fits easily over a ski or climbing helmet
• Secure storage - Zippered hand and interior pockets
• Elasticized cuffs - Seal in heat; seal out cold
• Drop-tail hem - Extra protection when it is cold
• Available in Men’s and Women’s sizes and colors.
• MSRP: $199
Millet Trilogy Limited GTX Jacket
The Trilogy GTX Jacket incorporates Gore-Tex® Active Shell: A new generation of Gore-Tex® protection. Outstanding breathability data, setting a new high for GORE while of course guaranteeing water and wind proofing. This is ideal for all high-paced, committed activities in the mountains. The use of a 13 mm wide waterproof tape instead of the usual 20 mm wide tape on the main seams allows the use of less tape and glue and thus achieve extra breathability.
• Easy Hood™ integral hood: height (manual) and depth (auto) adjustable, helmet compatible
• Semi-rigid visor with shape memory
• Main opening has waterproof injected zip
• 3 waterproof zipped pockets
• Flex Comfort™ seamless underarm construction for greater ease of movement
• Ceramic™ shoulder reinforcements
• Large waterproof underarm zip vents
• Gore-Tex® Ceramic™ 3L Active Shell™ reinforcements
• 13 mm tape
• Easy Hood™
• MSRP: $
Eider Tignes Base Layer
When you are preparing to head out this winter climbing, ditch the cotton shirt and grab the Tignes. Available in both men's and women's style the Tignes will keep you warm. The Tignes top's Thermostretch fabric breathes, wicks moisture, and stretches. Also, the Tignes can be used as a baselayer or mid-layer depending on the temperture, and its shapely cut provides you with minimal bulk and weight.
• Shape cut: for an increased comfort.
• Half-zipped opening.
• Fabric - Thermostretch: Breathable fabric offering effective ventilation and 2-way-stretch for great freedom of movement.
• MSRP: $79.95
Marmot Alpinist Pants
First of all, you should know that this pant zips into Marmot’s award-winning Alpinist jacket to create a bomb-proof alpine suit, but there’s much more to this expert piece of wearable technology than that. Stretch fabric and articulated legs provide huge range of motion, and three layer GORE-TEX Pro Shell keeps you feeling dry and never clammy. The zip-off bib with suspenders is essential for deep snow.
• GORE-TEX® Pro Shell - Gore-Tex Pro Shell
• 3-Layer Stretch Fabric for Ease of Motion
• 100% Seam Taped - For Full Waterproofness
• Water Resistant Side Zippers - WR Side Zippers
• Zip-Off Bib with Adjustable Suspenders
• Zip-in Gasket Allows for Jacket and Pant Zip Together Integration
• Hand Pockets with Water Resistant Zipper
• Back Pocket with Water Resistant Zipper
• Cordura® Scuff Guard - Cordura scuff guard
• Anatomic Articulated Legs
• Internal Gaiters with Gripper Elastic - Gaiter Provides Protection and Gripper Elastic Holds it in Place
• Relaxed Cut - Relaxed cut is fuller in the hip, thigh, knee and cuff
• Weight: 1 lbs 12.4 oz / 805.1 g
• Main Material: GORE-TEX® Pro 3L 94% Nylon 6% Elastane Stretch 2.8 oz/y
• MSRP: $450.00
Boreal Joker Plus Strap
The Joker Plus Strap is a climbing shoe designed for climbers looking for comfort, indoor climbing and for multi pitch routes. The Joker are incredibly comfortable and precise. EVA pad concealed in heel, protects the heel and add all day comfort.
• Uppers - High quality split leather with reinforced double velcro closure. Integrated padded mesh tongue for comfort.
• Lining - PU Air Net for ventilation and comfort.
• Midsole - Half stiff midsole.
• Sole - Boreal FS-QUATTRO. Thickness. 4 - 4.6 mm depending on size. IRS padded heel.
• Construction - Slip-lasted.
• MSRP: $99.00
La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX
The 3.2 mm one-piece silicone impregnated leather upper offers excellent durability and fit for this winter mountaineering beast of a boot. The Nepal has an integrated, anatomical elastic snow gaiter keeps snow and debris out. The Nepal last offers an excellent fit for any foot and is easily adjustable with the removable/adjustable tongue. 3D Flex multidirectional ankle hinge for freedom of movement. EZ Roller hardware allows you to lock down the laces and the Gore-Tex® lining provides long lasting warmth in the mountains.
• UPPER: 3.2mm silicone impregnated Idro-Perwanger Roughout leather with high-abrasion resistant fabric/ Vibram® rubber rands
• LINING: Gore-Tex® Insulated Comfort Footwear
• INSOLE: Insulating Ibi-Thermo 9mm
• MIDSOLE: 8-9mm TPU/ PU inserts/ SBR Aircushion
• SOLE: Vibram® with Impact Brake System™
• Available in both Men’s and Women’s
• MSRP: $475
Thorlos ST Mountaineering Socks
With thick cushioning and an exclusive Wool/THOR•LON blend, this sock is sure to please. It is also the warmest product that Thorlos makes. It is designed for sub-zero temperature and for all terrains.
• Exclusive Wool/THOR•LON® Blend for maximum warmth and wicking.
• Thick cushioning in ball/heel for maximum shock, impact, shear and blister protection.
• Moderate cushioning - at ankle, shin and instep to protect against boot pressure/in arch for better fit. (spandex added for support).
• Ventilation panel for better wicking.
• MSRP: $22.99
Outdoor Research Warrant Gloves
The Warrant is an extremely advanced ice climbing glove that pairs sophisticated materials in a package that balances dexterity and warmth. Weather-resistant stretch soft shell fabric provides a secure, comfortable fit, while a waterproof/breathable GORE-TEX® insert combined with PrimaLoft® insulation keeps your hands warm and dry while also moving perspiration away from the skin. A Pittards® Armortan® leather palm ensures a firm grip on your tools even while wet, and articulated, compression-molded padding protects your digits from impact.
• Shell: Waterproof/breathable GORE-TEX® insert with X-TRAFIT® technology and Stretch soft shell construction on back of hand
• Insulation: PrimaLoft®
• Insulation: 100g on back of hand; light brushed tricot lining
• Palm: Pittards® Armortan® Leather palm wraps around thumb and index finger for abrasion resistance and solid grip of tools and on belay. Leather palm overlay for reinforcement against abrasion with center cut out for bulk-free grip.
• Articulated, compression-molded padding on back of hand and fingers for impact protection and enhanced flexion
• Carabiner loop on back of hand
• Leather hook/loop wrist cinch provides wrist support
• MSRP: $129.00
Brooks-Range’s new Alpini 15
Brooks-Range’s new Alpini 15 sleeping bag offers utmost comfort and warmth while maintaining a very light carry weight. Made with offset baffles for maximum insulation efficiency, the 850-fill goose down is sandwiched between lightweight but durable Pertex Quantum fabric that allows the down to fully loft and remain protected from the elements. The Alpini 15 bag features a new “halo” draft tube and neck collar for additional warmth retention in colder conditions, as well as a full-length side zipper for easy in/out.
• Halo Neck Collar - full wrap baffled collar connects to head gasket
• Lightweight baffle netting for maximal loft & warmth
• Baffled head gasket reduces heat loss and a better fit
• Differential cut allow maximal loft
• Cloak hood for full coverage without extra bulk
• Baffled draft tube with zipper guard
• Ergonomic footbox
• Internal storage pocket
• Large cotton storage sack
• Rectangular shaped stuff sack stows in packs better
• Dimensions: 72” (78” for long), 62” chest width, 58” hip, 42” foot width.
• MSRP: $369.00
Sterling Rope Fusion Nano
You will be surprised at how durable the 9.2mm Nano Dynamic Rope by Sterling is, at such a small diameter. Being incredibly light and easy to handle, you will love to tie into this rope. Even though it is skinny, the construction lives up to the Sterling Rope trademarks. This rope will deliver high end performance and long-term durability on extreme onsights, redpoints, and alpine routes.
• Dynamic Elongation: 32.50%
• Impact Force: 8.4kN
• Static Elongation: 7.50%
• UIAA falls: 6
• Weight: 53 g/M
• MSRP: 60M - $211.95
Mammut Genesis 8.5mm x 60m Dry Half Rope
Due to the high proportion of sheath, these double ropes are extremely durable and abrasion resistant. New with COATINGfinish for better performance. Also the superDRY sheath and core treatment protects against water and dirt, thereby increasing the durability of the rope; also maintains smooth handling characteristics.
• Length 60
• Diameter 8.5
• Coating - CoatingFinish
• Long lasting
• Core with 7 inlays
• 40 clappers
• UIAA-falls (1 strand 55 kg) 14-15
• weight in g/m 48
• sheat slippage in mm 0
• impact force in kN 6,0
• elongation with 80kg per cent 9
• elongation at 1st drop (fall) 31
• Optimally suitable for - Multipitch Rockclimbing, Classical Alpinism, Mixed- and Iceclimbing
• MSRP: $189.95
If you are new to climbing and have had some questions about what is the difference between a single and twin tope, or what is the right rope to use for a certain activity, Mammut has a great article on this. Just follow the following link. http://www.mammut.ch/en/ropes_dynamic_ropetypes.html
Black Diamond Half Dome
Completely redesigned from the ground up this year, the Half Dome is the evolution of Black Diamonds’ most popular climbing helmet. With an improved fit and weight savings of more than 40 grams over the original, the Half Dome is an all-purpose workhorse ideal for everything from trad cragging to alpine expeditions. Also added is a custom-designed wheel adjuster for quick, secure and precise adjustments.
• Hybrid design with molded EPS foam, generous ventilation and highly adjustable suspension system
• Suspension's custom wheel adjuster allows for improved fine-tuning of fit
• Headlamp clips are the most secure headlamp attachments on the market
• Available in 2 sizes
• The most durable helmet Black Diamond makes
• MSRP: $59.95
Grivel X Monster
The Original Monster by Grivel was built for overhangs and mixed-climbing, but the Xmonster is built primarily for ice climbing with a shaft that is slightly straighter and the grip is better for vertical walls. It has a thinner pick for fragile ice and a shorter pick as the continuity between pick and shaft can anchor in deep as there’s nothing to stop the blade fitting in between two columns or in narrow cracks. The flexible shaft that so many climbers have recently discovered makes anchoring into cracks, including non vertical ones, easier and safer. The rear is almost a hammer shaped like “nuts”, ideal for anchoring and torqueing in larger cracks on mixed terrain, or with the a more classic shovel. A hole in the shaft can be used to attach a leash. Tiny anti slip claw at the end of the shaft.
• MSRP: $149.95
From snow couloirs to dry tooling, the LYNX is a versatile crampon. Modular front points allow for many options: dual or mono-point, long or short, and/or asymmetrical. They come with two types of interchangeable front bindings to adapt to boots with or without toe welts.
• Versatile crampons for ice and mixed climbing
• Configuration and length of front points can be modified with one screw:
- dual points in short, long or asymmetrical position
- offset mono-point in short or long position
• Crampons adaptable to boots with or without toe welts:
- interchangeable front bindings: stainless steel toe bail wires for shoes with toe welts, or flexible bindings for boots without toe welts
- toe bindings can be adjusted to accommodate shoe width and provide sufficient point length
• LEVERLOCK heel bail is height-adjustable, designed for boots with heel welt
• Integrated front and rear ANTISNOW plates
• FAKIR carrying pouch included
• Marked bars facilitate crampon adjustment
• Come with:
- FAKIR carrying bag (V01)
- front and rear ANTISNOW (T24960)
• MSRP: $245.00
Gregory Packs Torre 33
The Torre 33 is a roll-top style pack with a separating skirt and long zipper that runs down the length of the pack. Open it all up in one fell swoop and load in larger items like your rope, rack and helmet with ease.
• Fusion LTS Suspension
• Molded foam backpanel
• Roll-top style with a separating skirt and zipper that runs the length of the pack for huge main pack body access
• Full side and top compression
• Gear loop and zippered pocket on waistbelt
• Dual side mesh water bottle pockets
• Adjustable ice axe/trakking pole loops that can be tucked away when not in use
• Side attachment points with option to carry your tools/poles through compression webbing or elastic cord
• Hydration port and interior reservoir sleeve
• Top stash pocket with key clip
• 420D HD and 245D HD plain weave fabrics
• Wear-resistant 1680D ballistic nylon bottom panel
• MSRP: $139.00