I have been commuting back and forth from work on and off for over a year now. One thing that I have learned over that time is that a good pack is essential to successfully commuting to work. The Cicada 28L by Eagle Creek is a pack that is built and designed to commute. Eagle Creek put a lot of thought into developing and designing this pack. If you are riding the train or bus to work or riding your bike, the Cicada 28L will not disappoint.
The bottom material of this pack is Bi-Tech™, which is designed to resist water and abrasion. I found it to also resist stains that might be found on the floor of a bus or a train. The top of this pack is a split-wing cover that is secured with ratchet lock buckles. The nice part of this closure system is that the pack is secure from roaming hands as well as from the elements. Also the material used protects the content of the pack come rain or shine.
When the split-wing is opened the pockets of this pack are revealed. One thing this pack is not short on is pockets. There is a padded pocket designed to hold up to a 17 inch laptop. If you don’t need the pocket for a laptop it could also double as a pocket for a hydration system. Its main compartment is big enough to carry a change of clothes for work or the ride home as well as a lunch. The main compartment also has a couple small pouches for a cell phone, mp3 player, pens or other small items.
It has two side pockets that are great for bus schedules or cords for the laptop. It has a pocket that is felt lined for sunglasses or any other device that you want to keep scratch free. It has a big pocket on the outside that has room enough for whatever extras you might want to pack. Wallet, snacks, keys, etc. Two exterior stretch pockets on the side are ideal for holding water bottles. There are two compression straps to tighten up the load. They are also great for securing a jacket to the outside of the pack.
One day when leaving work I was caught unprepared for a spring rain storm. I had ¾ of mile to walk to the train station from work. I was a bit nervous, in fear that my laptop would get all wet and ruined, but this pack didn’t disappoint. The pack kept my laptop and everything else inside nice and dry. For me this bag has handles train ride, bus ride and even biking the 18 miles home.
If you are looking for a pack to run around town with or looking for a great commuter pack you must check out the Cicada 28L.
- Split-Wing cover with Ratchet Lock buckles. Protects pack from roaming hands and in-climate weather conditions.
- Zippered top/panel load main compartment access
- Padded laptop compartment/hydration sleeve
- Smart Travel Security™ organization
- Front zippered document pocket
- Dual-access padded fleece-lined pocket for sunglasses or electronics
- Two exterior stretch side pockets
- Exterior compression straps for managing the load
- Sturdy, molded top grab handle
- Molded foam back panel with contoured shoulder straps
- Tuck-away waist strap
- Water and abrasion resistant Bi-Tech™ material on bottom
- HDPE frame sheet with pre-curved aluminum stay
- Capacity: 1700 cu in / 28 L
- Dimensions: 12 x 20.5 x 7 in / 30 x 52 x 18 cm
- Weight: 2 lbs 15 oz / 1.33 kg
- Fabric: 210D TPU Diamond Ripstop, 210D Helix™ Ripstop, 900D Bi-Tech™
- MSRP: $150.00