Commuting can save money and be good for your health but having the right gear will make all the difference. This guide includes new gear for fall 2012 that will help you get out of your house and to your destination. One problem we had (if you can call it a problem) was narrowing this guide down to just one or two packs for commuting. We come across so many new packs for Fall that we decided to include a few of our favorites. We feel confident that you will be able to find the right pack for your daily commuting needs, as well as other great pieces of gear for commuting.
DETOURS Sodo handlebar bag
A serious handlebar bag for serious rides, the Sodo has enough room and features to keep all your commuting or touring essentials organized. Two large zippered pockets are covered by a TPU-coated waterproof flap, which includes a seam-sealed waterproof map or smart phone pocket. Interior padding makes it perfect for protecting your DSLR camera and lens, or simply carrying your jacket, lunch, and tools. Our quick-release attachment system installs easily on your handlebars (necessary tools included) and allows you to take the bag on and off the bike at ease. Match it with The Hill Pannier for more waterproof capacity! Wherever your trip takes you the Sodo is built for the long haul.
• Interior Org and key fob
• Removable shoulder strap
• Haul handle
• Rain cover in hideaway pocket
• Cargo capacity = 13 pounds
• Best uses: Touring, Event Rides, Commuting
• Volume: 330 cubic inches
• Dimensions: 10 x 4.5 x 8 inches
• Weight: 1.8 lbs
• MSRP: $78.00
A revolutionary hike-bike-travel-commute daypack. Its a pack so versatile, it works as well on a bike as on a hike. With a variable suspension, you can switch from a super-stable, back-hugging workhorse to a very ventilated, weight-off-your-back pack that's perfect for biking and hot day hikes. Also the pack has a water-resistant main compartment with a totally waterproof pocket for wallets, phones and anything else that get particularly uneasy in the presence of wet.
• Volume: 22L / 1,342 in3
• Weight: 970g / 2lbs 2oz
• Fits Torso Length: 46-51cm / 18-20 in
• Material: 210D ripstop nylon with silicone waterproofing
• MSRP: $129.99
Patagonia Black Hole Messenger
The Black Hole program continues to expand for the Fall 2012 season. The Black Hole Messenger is a durable shoulder bag designed to carry your laptop and gear for the daily commute. This is a courier’s bag, designed for getting wet, thrown about, overstuffed and dropped by the front door at the end of the day. Featuring waterproof fabric and a water-resistant construction and zippers, our Black Hole Messenger protects your gear from rain, rough handling and miles of abuse. A roomy main compartment holds books, papers, running shoes and a lunch; it also has an internal, padded laptop sleeve (that accommodates most 17-inch laptops), two mesh pockets to keep little items handy, a key keeper, and an organization panel that holds your pens, zip drives and a phone. The flap features an outer pocket that seals with a water-shedding zipper, two daisy chains to hold your bike lock, and an LED attachment loop. Designed for a vertical fit while you’re riding, the shoulder straps switch between right- or left-carry and feature a single-handed, quick adjustment for a precise fit.
• Waterproof fabric with sewn seams protects your gear in wet conditions
• Main compartment contains two mesh pockets, key keeper, and an organizer panel; interior padded sleeve protects most 17˝ laptops
• Main flap with daisy chain, LED attachment loop, and external pocket with water-shedding reversed coil zipper; second zippered pocket and additional daisy chains under the flap
• Fully adjustable seatbelt webbing shoulder strap with floating pad, reflective material and webbing attachment points; three-point adjustable stability strap and padded carrying handle ensure a secure and comfortable carry
• Shoulder carry strap can be set up for right or left usage
• Single-handed, quick shoulder strap adjustment
• 14.7-oz 1,200-denier polyester (50% solution-dyed) with a TPU-film laminate and a DWR (durable water repellent) finish
• Deluge® DWR
• MSRP: $129.00
Po Campo Armitage Diaper Bag
Po Campo makes sturdy panniers for those commuting to work by bicycle to beautiful satchels great for shopping and running to the market. Even parents with new babies will enjoy a diaper bag that doubles as a bicycle bag or tote and even comes with a matching changing pad for families on the move! Po Campo bicycle bags beautifully blend style and functionality. Commuting all day while bringing baby's essentials is a breeze with the roomy and lovely Armitage Satchel. It blends beauty and functionality with urban style, protected leather detailing and the versatility to work with the other things she has with her to help lighten the load. The proprietary CONNECT system allows cyclists to detach the bag and use it as a purse on the go.
• Matching Changing Pad included
• CONNECT™ attachments
• Weather resistant fabrics
• Reflective details
• Detachable, adjustable shoulder strap
• Side bottle pockets
• MSRP: $145
The Colfax is the beginning of a new line of packs from MHM, that they like to call "Urbaneering". Let's face it, we all wish we could spend endless amounts of time adventuring outdoors. However, the reality is that many of us have jobs or go to school, and those jobs and schools are usually in a city or town. The Colfax uses the tough CORDURA® ripstop fabric look that you'll find on all of our technical packs but is organized to carry a laptop, books and papers. Not only does it have a fresh design that anyone can appreciate but it has 2 carrying options to suite your style. The Colfax can be carried as a backpack or the straps can be re-configured to carry as a sling-style messenger bag. There are lots of organized pockets and sleeves on this pack that include quick access to your phone and a point and shoot camera. So until you can escape the classroom and city to get back to the hills, strap on the Colfax and do work son!
• Convertible shoulder straps allow pack to be carried as sling-style messenger bag
• Organized utility pocket
• Vertical skateboard carry
• Padded laptop compartment
• iPad™/Tablet sleeve
• Bike lock compartment
• perforated foam backpanel and shoulder straps
• 5 pockets
• Volume: 18 liters
• 315 denier ripstop Invista CORDURA® Plus, Nylon 6.6, 80g PU/DWR.
• 840 denier Invista CORDURA® HD, Nylon 6.6, 80g PU/DWR.
• MSRP: $109.00
Timbuk2 Full-Cycle Amnesia
It's just as roomy, comfortable and durable as the typical Amnesia, but with a big difference: it's made out of recycled material that can be re-recycled at the end of its (incredibly) long and full life. With a lined compartment for your laptop and breathable back panel, you don't have to sacrifice features for earth-friendliness.
• Full-Cycle Amnesia design features include:
• Swing Around™ tricot-lined side access compartment fits 15” laptops
• Ventilated back panel
• Custom-fit strap design for a truer, more comfortable fit
• Front organizer pockets fit must-have necessities
• Paired velcro loops to secure your helmet or headphones
• Made from 100% recycled PET yarn, this fabric is super durable
• MSRP: $99.00
Chicobag Hobo rePETe
The Hobo rePETe is an expandable carry all that can be worn as a stylish hobo style bag, or expand to accommodate impromptu purchases. The Hobo is made of durable, recycled ripstop fabric and available in three colors with heat embossed patterns. The tie together handles allow for a custom fit and add a feminine touch.
• Materials: Fabric: 100% Recycled Ripstop PET and interlining non-woven polypropylene material, Carabiner: 78% Recycled Aluminum, Cordlock: 100% Recycled Nylon, coil zipper.
• Dimensions: Bag: 17"w x 28.5"h Pouch: 8"w x 6.25"h (approximately)
• Capacity: 794 cu / 13L
• Weight: 8.8 oz / 249g
• MSRP $29.99
North Face S/S Hayes Encore Woven
The Men’s S/S Hayes Encore Woven shirt from the North Face is perfect for any early morning or late night commuter, especially those who bike to and from their destinations. The plaid cotton button-down is made with 3M Scotchlite™ reflective yarn that's woven into the construction of the shirt so it doesn't wash out and increases visibility to oncoming traffic.
• 3M reflective yarn provides 500 candlepower reflectivity, the highest commercially available
• Lightweight and stowable
• Ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) 50
• Asymmetrical Napoleon button closure chest pocket
• Sun collar stand
• Reinforced side seam
• Rear cape venting
• Rear stowpocket
• Shirt-tail hem
• Recycled rubber buttons
• MSRP: $75.00
ZOIC Tradesman Flannel Riding Shirt
With cooler temperatures in the long range forecast, Zoic Clothing stands ready to help cyclists revitalize their Fall riding apparel with unique performance flannel jerseys designed to cut the chill yet keep riders looking sharp down their favorite trail, commuting to work, cycling to school or just slipping around the corner for a brew. The latest bold stroke of originality from Zoic is F-Tech Flannel, offering a familiar look with a novel purpose – plaid flannel bike jerseys for men and women. F-Tech fabric is wicked soft while it wicks away moisture, making standout styles for cold weather riding that cross over between performance and lifestyle with relative ease. The Tradesman Flannel Riding Shirt a men’s button-front shirt that’s equally suited for the bike and the barstool. It has internal knit sleeve cuffs to fend off cool temperatures and reflective accents on the collar and back pocket that are night ride and commuter friendly.
• Brushed flannel fabric has a soft hand inside and out.
• Internal sleeve cuffs prevent “cold creep” up your arms as you ride
• 2 front chest pockets
• Left front tech pocket features internal headphone cable slit and grommet
• 9” wide rear pocket with E-Z-grip silicone pull and stay-put tabs
• Tagless neck label eliminates itching and irritation
• MSRP: $85.00
Fox River Everyday Merino
With more than 111-years in the performance sock business, outdoor and travel adventurers of all types trust Fox River’s products to deliver comfort, fit and performance for rigorous outdoor activities. The Everyday Merino collection is infused with the same performance fit and premium fibers inherent in premium Fox River outdoor socks, but with casual styles for everyday wear and travel. The new collection features ultra-light and lightweight, comfy Merino wool socks in many new colors and styles, including both women’s and men’s specific socks perfect for travel, work or around town. Everyday Men’s Fatigue Fighter is an ultra-lightweight cushioning socks made with graduated compression for improved circulation and all day support for the guy on the go. Reinforced heel and toe zones add greater durability and URFit System enhances fit wash after wash. Perfect for long distance flights, outdoor adventurers on the go, or anyone with sore and tired muscles.
• Contents: 53% nylon, 45% Merino, 2% spandex
• URFit™ System adds memory knit construction and spandex compression zones for extended wear
• Graduated compression improves circulation and fights fatigue
• Fully cushioned sole absorbs shock and insulates
• MSRP $18.99
Pearl izumi P.R.O. Softshell Lite Glove
Ideal for cold weather cycling or commuting, this glove features P.R.O. Softshell with Minerale fabric making it both breathable and wind/water resistant. Made with Pittards WR 100X Natural Carbon leather, the palm provides superior softness and durability, whilethe new 1:1 Glove fit maximizes finger dexterity for shifting and breaking. A simple pull-on design and soft, windproof fleece wiping surface on thumb makes this glove a must-have item for any hardcore rider.
• P.R.O. Softshell with Minerale™ fabric provides optimal wind and water protection
• Pittards® WR 100X Natural Carbon Leather palm provides superior softness and durability
• NEW 1:1 Glove fit maximizes finger dexterity for shifting and braking
• Simple pull–on design
• Gauntlet keeps wrists warm
• Reflective elements for low–light visibility
• Soft, windproof fleece wiping surface on thumb
• 63% polyester 27% MineraleTM polyester 10% elastane
• MSRP $55
Seattle Sports Dry Doc Landing Pad
The Dry Doc Landing Pad is a great bike accessory that is easily mounted to your handlebar for quick visual access to your smartphone. It allows you to have your smartphone map app open and guiding you while trying new routes on your commute.
• MSRP: $24.95
Tern Link D8
The Tern Link D8 is a folding bike that's built for daily use and leisure rides with eight speeds for varying terrain plus fenders and a rear rack. It's a responsive and smooth-riding bike that folds in 10 seconds. The bike easily stores in small spaces and works well in conjunction with buses, subways, and taxis.
• N-Fold Technology is a small but important change that results in a faster, and more compact fold. N-Fold Technology includes new frame and handlepost geometries and spins the front wheel by 180 degrees before the central fold, resulting in a package 40 mm (1.5”) shorter.
• Taller, Stronger, Stiffer — Making the hinge taller and moving the pivoting surfaces outward from the center axis more than doubles overall strength and stiffness and it’s a difference you’ll feel from your very first ride.
• Flexy handleposts and noodly handling are the Achilles heel of many folding bicycle designs. The Physis handlepost solves this with a massively strong, precision machined design that virtually eliminates flex.
• Massive Strength — To eliminate flex, the Physis Joint knuckle was beefed up and made wider by moving the pivoting surfaces outward from the center axis.
• The Neos derailleur was developed to solve issues specific to small wheeled folding bicycles, specifically, ground clearance of the derailleur cage, and protrusion of the derailleur body from the chainstay, making it susceptible to damage.
• Running errands, shopping –- when you do these things by bike, you need to carry stuff. Portage racks are custom-designed for Tern bikes to help you carry your stuff, in lots of different ways. From the factory, Portage racks come with an elastic luggage strap that’ll keep even bulky items strapped safely to the top of the rack.
• MSRP: $600.00
New for summer and fall 2012, Nutcase brings its signature graphic style to a collection of fun and functional bicycle bells, designed to make any cyclists' ride more stylish and safe. The series of bicycle bells designs echo some of the top Nutcase Street Helmets and come in a funky egg carton-like package for retailers that hold 12 bells.
• MSRP: $15.00