Fall can be a great time to get out on a bike. It is a little cooler and if you are lucky enough you might be able to run a few trails through the fall colors. This guide is gear that you can use when riding some sweet single track or riding through the busy downtown to get to work. Either way the better your gear is the more enjoyable the ride will be.
Ridekick Power Trailer
We first saw this trailer in 2010 and we were impressed with its power and versatility. Now that it is available we think this is a great option for people who either have a long commute or need just a little help getting up some big hills. Attaches to most bikes in minutes for assisted riding and comes off in seconds for traditional riding. The rider chooses the amount of “boost” applied to the bike through an easy throttle action which attaches to the handlebars. Another great feature is that the trailer has additional room for storage. This is definitely a "might see" product for anyone who loves riding bikes.
• 12-15 mile range with the sealed lead-acid battery, 25 miles with an upgraded battery (coming in spring 2012)
• Smart diagnostics built into control board to trouble shoot a problem
• Weighs 43 pounds and can carry 75 pounds of cargo
• Has 41 liters of carrying capacity
• Boosts your bike to 20 mph
• MSRP $699
REI Novara Headwind Bike Jacket
The Headwind is a soft-shell bike jacket that blocks wind and resists water. Whether you’re slicing through wind at high speeds or cruising along in the countryside, the Headwind Bike Jacket is perfect. Panels on front and sleeves are windproof up to 60 mph—great for fast descents. Lightweight, breathable stretch panels on back of arms and shoulders allow easy movement and let excess heat escape. The Headwind hasn't skimped on the zippers, having 2 zippered pockets on the back and 1 chest zip pocket.
• Full-length zipper is nicely finished with a zipper hut and chin guard to protect against abrasion
• Abundant reflective trim enhances your visibility in low light and at night
• Fit is designed to move with your body without binding or twisting, allowing maximum comfort and freedom of movement
• Droptail hemline ensures coverage in the riding position
• MSRP: $99.50
Five Ten Scofflaw
Do you love your fixed gear bike? If you do, you might want to check out the Scofflaw. This shoe was designed exclusively for fixed gear riding. The outsole has a flat piece of Stealth® S1™ rubber under the toe and ball, so your foot slides effortlessly into the cage. Once there, it has unparalleled traction. The toe is reinforced with cracked leather for durability. The upper is a Duron™ canvas that has the breathability and comfort of cotton, with excellent stain and water resistance.
• MSRP: $134.95
Built for a cushy fit whether you’re trail hiking or bike commuting, the fully upgraded Jolla (~1100 cu. in.) features Hydrapak’s new Shape-Shift Reservoir (3 L), light weight fabrics, a pull out organizer pocket, and high -ventilation shoulder straps. A sleek buckle-in top panel and a waist harness system with quick stash pockets and removable belt keep this pack snug and secure.
• Cavernous Main Compartment with Internal Pocket
• Secondary Middle Organizer Compartment
• Media Pocket with Dedicated Audio Port and Key Loop
• Quad Compression Strap Down System
• Dedicated Zippered Reservoir Pocket on Back Panel
• Dual Side Bottle Pockets
• Comfort Padded Should Straps
• Soft Moisture Wicking Back Panel
• Sliky Slider Sternum Strap
• Top or Bottom Tube Routing option
• Stowable Waist Belt
• MSRP: $144.99
Overland Equipment Cambridge
The Cambridge is a great commuter bag. A tote, backpack and mobile workstation all in one, the Cambridge has a neoprene laptop pocket and organizer pockets inside and out to keep all your belongings safe. The large main compartment can hold a change of clothes, lunch, books or any large items you may carry. The backpack straps stow away in their own pockets when you want to use this bag as a tote.
• Handy top handle
• 3 front stash pockets
• Zippered main compartment
• Stow-away backpack straps
• Adjustable tote straps
• Compression straps at side
• Neoprene padded laptop sleeve
• Pockets for cords, pens, glasses and phone
• MSRP $90
Bolle Vortex Glasses
Bolle built the Vortex Glasses with cyclist on their minds. They are built with B-clear technology from Bolle to enhance your ability to see what is coming at you. The Carbo Glas coating gives the glasses protection from scratches and other damage. The Vortex's lenses can be swapped out to give you a full range of lenses for whatever activity or environment that you might be in. Thermogrip keeps the glasses on your face with comfortable, hydrophilic nose pads and temple tips that absorb moisture and keep your sunglasses in place. Consider the Vortex essential gear to keep you on the road or trail and headed toward the horizon.
• B88 Frames
• Adjustable Nose Pads
• Carbo Glas® Coating
• Optics Control System
• Sport Optical System (S.O.S.)
• MSRP: $199.99
How many times have you crashed and totally wrecked your glasses? The Swamper glasses are not indestructible, but starting at 45 dollars it will be a little less painful to replace. These glasses fit great and have hydrophilic temple tips that are completely malleable. Available in photo-polar, photochromic, interchangeable and essential lenses, these are extremely lightweight.
• MSRP: Starts at $44.95
V.I.O. POV.HD Helmet Camera
The POV.HD is a serious helmet cam for serious athletes and videographers. This camera packs a punch with gorgeous HD 1080p video with manual exposure control, viewable LCD screen and super wide-angle (142 degree) lens. The POV.HD really makes you feel like you’re back on your bike (or whatever activity you’re up to).
• VIDEO - 1080p HD Video
• Resolution/Frame Rates: 1080p/30fps, 1080p/25fps, 1080p/24fps, 720p/60fps, 720p/50fps, 720p/30fps, 720p/25fps, 480p/30fps, 480p/25fps
• Field Of View: 142° (1080p), 95° (720p)
• AUDIO - Built In Mic
• DATA HANDLING - 32GB SDHC
• File Functions: Record, Playback, Delete
• I/O Ports: SD Card Slot, USB 2.0 High Speed (Mini-B), Mic-In, NTSC/PAL Analog TV /Audio Out (Live Stream Capable)
• Record Time: 4.33hrs (1080p 30fps/720p 60fps) 15Mbit/S
• Image Display: 2 Inch LCD Screen, Resolution 640x320
• Auxiliary Controls: RF Remote Control With Record, Tag, & Stop Controls
• Recording Unit: 40mm x 60mm x 167mm, 328 grams (With 4 AA Batteries)
• Camera Head: 58 grams
• Remote Control: 24 grams (With A27 Battery)
• Digital A-V Cable: Approximately 1.5 meter Length, 128 grams
• Battery/Runtime: 4 AA Alkaline/2.5hrs (1080p 30fps/720p 60fps), 4 AA Lithium Ion/5hrs (1080p 30fps/720p 60fps)
• MSRP: $599.99
DryCASE from Dry Corp
The DryCASE actually vacuum seals portable electronics so if you’re caught in the rain your devices will be protected. There are a number of cases and housings for camera use while biking but only one will fit just about any camera or cell phone and actually vacuum seal it, allowing for full touch-screen functionality. The DryCASE requires no tools to install on your bike—simply attach the included neoprene armband to your handlebars and you have an instant and easily removable solution for mounting a camera or cell phone to your bike.
• Size: 4.25 inches wide (10.8 cm) and 6.5 inches long (16.5 cm)
• Stays dry even underwater
• Waterproof vacuum seal
• Crystal clear for photos
• Stereo and microphone jack
• Buoyant armband
• MSRP: $39.99
The Safe-T-Seat is a center-mount bicycle seat that places the child between the adult rider and the handlebars giving you improved control over the child and the bicycle. The safe-T-seat uses a specially designed, easy-to-use attach/detach system that fits most bikes on the market and provides the opportunity for more parent/child interaction. The 2012 model of iBert Inc.’s signature center-mount child safe-T-seat now sports upgraded, lighter mounting hardware, a steering wheel that doubles as a nap pad and a new, bright pink color option.
• Seat – no-break polymer with NEW ultraviolet protection
• Mounting Components – rust resistant aluminum and stainless steel
• Weight w/Packaging: 4 pounds
• Weight w/o Packaging: 3 pounds, 11 ounces
• MSRP: $109.99
Have you ever got home so tired after a long day riding that it was hard to keep your eyes open? If so this is the device for you. The HeadsUp System is a wireless system that keeps you and your gear from getting racked. Just one distracted moment coming home can cause thousands of dollars of damage to your gear, vehicle and garage, so let the HeadsUp System watch out for you. The system includes an LED alert sign that mounts in your garage, tiny wireless tags that go on your gear, and a wireless alerter that sits in your vehicle. When you return home with your gear on the roof, the alert sign lights up in your garage and the alerter sounds a tone inside your vehicle - reminding you to stop and unload your gear before driving into the garage!
• MSRP: $169.99
Fenix E11 LED
The E11 LED Flashlight is a mini, high-intensity flashlight that is small enough to always have on hand. Throw it in your commuting bag or even in your saddle bag so you are never caught without a light after dark. Powered by only one AA battery, it is small, lightweight and offers a surprising 105-lumen output. The high-efficiency total reflection lens offers a bright and soft flood light which is perfect for illumination at a close range. It has a user friendly tail cap switch for quick and easy illumination.
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Tactical push-button tail cap switch with momentary-on function
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• High-efficiency total reflection lens
• Included Accessories: Lanyard, spare O-ring and spare rubber switch boot
• MSRP: $29.95
G-Form: Elbow, Shin and Knee Pads
The G-Form Body pads offer the first flexible, molded impact pad designed specifically to flex with your joints and become rigid upon impact. Utilizing RPT™ – Reactive Protection Technology, a composite blend of PORON® XRD™ material and proprietary G-Form materials and technology, the pads will withstand repeated impact absorption for dependable performance throughout the life of the product.
• Innovative exoskeleton rate-dependent design ensures complete protection for active individuals
• Made with PORON®XRD™ material to offer athletes a superior shield against impact
• Reactive Protection Technology™ provides a flexible fit while still guaranteeing the ultimate impact absorption
• Available for Elbows, Shins and Knees
• MSRP: $49.99 each set.
Stanley Thirteen13 One-Handed Vacuum Mug
Keep your cup of java hot and one hand free with this new leak-proof mug from Stanley. The Nineteen13 One-Handed Vacuum mug's sleek design allows you to open, drink and close the vacuum insulated mug with just one hand. Throw it in the bike cage for the morning commutes and drink it all day at work.
• One-handed operation.
• Open, drink, close with one hand.
• Vacuum insulated body + thermal lid.
• Hot 6+ hours. Iced drinks stay cold all day.
• Removable grit guard. Keeps drinking surface clean.
• Clips into bike cages.
• Fits car cup holders too.
• Dishwasher safe lid.
• MSRP: $28
PROBAR Original — Old School PB&J
All organic, plant-based ingredients wrapped up in a delicious and hearty (370 calorie) meal replacement. This is what you want to sustain you over a long fall MTB ride.
• Delicious meal replacement
• Good source of Omega 3 and 6• Certified Organic, 100% Vegan
• MSRP: $2.99
The Interceptor is the perfect bike for making it through those beautiful falling leaves. The Interceptor, available in white or black features a 500 watt brushless, gearless hub motor, 6-speed Shimano gears, Schwalbe suspension tires and a 48-volt 10 amp removable lithium battery.
• Motor Brushless Gearless Hub Motor on Rear wheel
• Power 500 watt
• Gears & Speeds 6 Speed Shimano Gears
• Batteries Lightweight Lithium in a Removable Pack
• Shifter Shimano SIS Index® Shifter
• Amps 10 AMP Hour
• Volts 48 Volt
• Tires Schwalbe Balloon Suspension Tires with Kevlar
• Speed 20 MPH using motor power only
• Off Road Mode is 25-30 MPH
• Distance 15 - 30 miles per charge(depending on rider weight & terrain)
• Throttle Type Twist Throttle Variable Speed Control
• Handlebars Cruiser Style with Promax Stem
• Braking System Avid BB-7 Front Disc Brakes and Dia-Compe Rear Hub Brake
• Drive System Rear Hub Motor (Motor is in rear wheel)
• MSRP: Base Price: $2,295.00