Fall is a great time to get out and enjoy the great outdoors. I love fall because the temperature drops and the summer heat gives way to brisk mornings and cool evenings. For me it has always been a lot more enjoyable to run in 50-60 degrees compared to 90-100 degrees. That said, if one is not prepared for it to be a little cooler, running outside can be miserable. Having the right gear can make or break the best fall training plan. The products in this guide are geared to help you succeed at your fall training plan and help you get out and run.
Saucony PowerGrid Cortana
The Cortana has won both the "Best Debut" from Runner's World Magazine and "Best New Shoe" in Running Network's 2011 Fall Shoe Review. For those that are looking for a little guidance, this is the right shoe for you. Built with just a touch of guidance and the 4mm heel-to-toe offset provides a super-responsive, close-to-the-road ride. This shoe features Saucony’s new and innovative PowerGrid technology that provides superior cushioning and an incredibly response ride for the everday runner
• Sauc-Fit - A unique fit system in the upper that not only locks the midfoot onto the platform but also keep the heel secure and comfortable
• HRC Strobel Board - Increases cushioning and comfort
• PowerGrid™ with PowerFoam™ - Combining our new and innovative PowerFoam with our industry acclaimed Grid technology we created PowerGrid to provide the runner with superior cushioning and responsiveness on every run
• IBR - Our new blown rubber compound that is lighter, more responsive and has enhanced cushioning and durability properties
• XT-900™ - A carbon rubber outsole material that offers exceptional traction properties without sacrificing durability
• Weight: 10.7 oz.
SKECHERS GOrun, is a lightweight minimalistic running shoe that simulates barefoot running while providing the support runners demand. The end result is: a unique combination of minimal physical stress and maximum performance from a shoe that helps runners excel no matter what the terrain. Super lightweight, soft, and flexible, GOrun molds to the foot, extends the benefits of barefoot running – including less joint stress and decreased chance of injury – and sprints to the finish line uncontested. Being only $80 the GOrun is a great value, which opens the door to the benefits of barefoot running, for experienced marathoners to the casual jogger.
• Lightweight: 5.9 oz.
• Mid‐foot Strike: A 4mm heel forces the runner to land mid‐foot to fore‐foot which minimizes joint stress and maximizes efficiency.
• Impulse Sensors: Strategically placed on the sole of the shoe, impulse sensors provide traction, stability and an immediate reaction to any terrain. They are strategically placed where impact points are greatest.
• MSRP: $80.00
Women’s FITS Light Active No Show
FITS Active socks provide the perfect amount of cushioning and support to make even the longest run enjoyable. Merino Wool promises to keep your feet comfortable year-round, with a FIT just for you.
• Lower than our usual low- (no show height),
• Cushioned in heel and toe,
• Accent colors, stripes and design.
• Also available in an ultra-light - no cushioning anywhere (totally flat-knit) ideal for endurance sports.
• MSRP: $13.99
Skirt Sports Ice Queen Jacket
The next two products come from Skirt Sports. The Ice Queen jacket is made for running, but stylish enough to wear everyday everywhere. The recommended temperature use is between 30-60 degrees depending on your cold-bloodedness! Available in Black, Red Kiss, and Black/Red Kiss Combo.
• Wind-blocker chest panels to keep "the girls" warm!
• Warm Fleece Backing
• Front texture overlay fabrics for aesthetics and heat layering
• Full Zip
• Inner and outer pockets
• Price: $130.00
Skirt Sports Ice Queen Skirt
This skirt-pant combo makes the cold a little less cold. Windproof panels in the Skirt and leggings (through the knees) block the cold air. Fully loaded with 2 hidden pockets, music portal and zippered godets fit in boots or over running shoes! Available in Black and White. Price: $125.00.
• Two-panel Windproof Skirt
• Skirt length (medium): 13" front, 14" back
• Sonic Music Port under waistband for headphone cord
• Non-chafing flatlock stitching
• Windproof thigh panels extend below knees for joint protection
• Pant inseam (medium): 33"
• 9" zipperd godets at ankles
• 2 pockets to fit gels, keys and more
• MSRP: $125.00
CW-X Stabilyx Tights
Fall 2011 brings new safety and style to the wildly successful CW-X Stabilyx Tights. The Stabilyx Tights will now feature 360º of reflectivity to make runners more visible from every angle. Reflective panels at the quadriceps and hamstring, and a reflective logo at the hip, add safety for those who run at night. Stabilyx Tights provide optimum targeted support to both the lower back/core area and the knee joint and surrounding muscles for greater overall stability and power. Men’s tights in black with red stitching and women’s tights in black with raspberry stitching are new for the fall, as are the all-black version of the new Stabilyx Tights.
• Tights are anatomically engineered for each gender, providing comfort, ease of movement and a better fit
• Six reflective flash strips and reflective logo provide 360-degree visibility ffor nighttime activities
• Flat seam construction eliminates abrasions, increase comfort and enhances fit.
• Key pocket and double-reinforced waistband with flat-draw cord
• UPF 40+
• MSRP: $100.00
SeasonFive Atmos 1.0 Sleeves
Unisex Arm and Leg Sleeves are part of the ultimate layering system for extra support, performance and insulation. Pairing the arm and leg sleeves with a shorts, short sleeve shirt or a bike jersey is ideal for fall run or for cool mornings. The arm and leg sleeves will keep arms and legs dry, warm and muscles supported.
• Unisex Arm Sleeves – MSRP: $49.99
• Unisex Leg Sleeves – MSRP: $49.99
Balconi Hat Endurance
The Balconi Hat Endurance is an essential accessory to any outdoorsman looking to go for a quick run, hike, or climb during the crisp fall months. This innovative visor protects your ears from the cold, keeping your head warm, but also is designed to allow breathability through the top. During the month of October Balconi will donate $1 towards Breast Cancer and Breast Cancer Awareness for each Pink Endurance Balconi hat sold. Balconi also offers this hat in black, navy, red and hunter green.
Headsweats Performance Beanie
The Performance Beanie is constructed with Eventure™ Fleece, which makes it breathable, flexible, and a great midweight beanie for colder temperatures. The beanie has a taped trim bottom and covers the ears for better fit and comfort and fits well under a helmet. The women's version has a ponytail opening in the back and a snowflake detail.
• MSRP: $22
Saucony 3 Season Glove II
Made from drylete, the 3 Season Glove delivers superior moisture transfer and features magnetic fasteners so your gloves stay together.
• Reflective logos for low-light visibility
• Tricot liner insulates and adds comfort
• Plush cloth wipes on thumb exterior
• Magnetic fasteners
• MSRP: $34.00
Combining the necessities of an active lifestyle for both men and women, the SPIbelt accommodates lightweight items such as keys, credit cards, iPods™, Blackberries™, cash, and identification. Available in dozens of different color combinations, these fitness accessories are also available in several sizes for men, women, and children.
• MSRP: $19.95
Armpocket Aero i-10
The Aero i-10 is the ideal accessory for those who are used to wearing an armband. Engineered by runners for runners, the water-resistant Armpocket securely holds multiple items such as keys, phones, energy bars, credit cards, iPods and IDs, to make hands-free activity possible. Memory foam padding ensures comfort and a snug fit, while a proprietary touch-through screen allows “on the move” smartphone application and iPod/MP-3 player music operation.
• 10 cubic inches of storage capacity
• Made from recycled materials and soft natural bamboo rayon
• Comfortable, vented arm strap for extended wear
• Strap size - measured around upper arm:
o MEDIUM for arm size 10 to 15 inches
o SMALL for arm size 8 to 10 inches
• Ergonomic design and memory foam padding resists slipping
• Protects your sensitive electronic devices from moisture damage
• Full screen access and touch control
• MSRP: $26.95
Ultimate Direction Access Airflow:
The newest member to join UD’s line of waist pack hydration systems, the Access Airflow delivers outstanding fit, comfort and performance for runners of all ability levels. Ideal for both short and long runs, the Access Airflow provides a hands-free way to carry a single, easily accessed water bottle for on-the-go hydration. For extra comfort on long runs or hot days, the Access Airflow’s backpanel is made with closed-cell foam and 3D AirMesh to prevent sweat absorption while encouraging ventilation. A waistbelt features dual adjustment for a perfect fit and a 20-ounce UD water bottle is included.
• One 20oz / .6L bottle
• Comfort stability belt with dual-adjust quick-release buckles
• 3D AirMesh in backpanel to provide extra ventilation
• Closed-cell foam back panel padding won't absorb sweat
• Strap secure webbing control
• Reflective piping
• Storage: Removable small I.D. / Key pocket
• Weight: 7oz / 198g
• Materials: 3D AirMesh, Nylon 210D Wide Dobby, Hydrophilic Interlock backpanel & Nylon Mesh
• MSRP: $38.00
The Freedom earbuds are wireless, have a secure fit and are sweat-proof. They are also the official training headphones of the USA triathlon.
• Tangle-free cord with secure-fit, shake-proof earbuds for the ultimate wireless music experience on the go
• Comfortable silicon ear cushions hold Freedom securely in rigorous activity
• Sealed earbuds protect against moisture or sweat
• Listen to music or talk on the phone with the integrated mic all via Bluetooth technology and switch easily from your music to an incoming call with integrated remote buttons
• Premium hard-shell carry case with magnetic closing for optimum protection when not in use
• MSRP: $99.00
The Discover is a compact and lightweight GPS training watch designed to capture and report detailed information about each workout or adventure, whether it be trail running, cycling, hiking or sailing. It uses high-quality GPS technology with exceptional signal strength to track and display distance covered and average speed over the entire workout, and also provides a smart lap function to auto map a route. The route traveled, as well as speed, distance, altitude, maximum and minimum heart rate, calorie burn, and other data are collected and viewable via Discover’s customizable LED display for a quick and easy read, even when running. The data is also recorded to an internal databank for tracking and statistics over time. When consumers complete their workout, they can use the included PC-compatible software that interfaces with Google Earth to upload their entire route and obtain more detailed information
about it, including how fast they went over any given segment; then, they can download routes to plan their next workout.
• Workout Metrics
• Smart Lap/Track Log function- auto maps your route
• Waypoint Navigation
• Digital Compass
• Heart Rate monitoring
• 2.4GHz wireless transmission speed. Coded technology prevents interference from other watches or exercise equipment
• PC Uplink & analysis software
• Watch settings and Workout profiles can be easily configured on your computer then uploaded to the watch
• Time Mode
• EL Backlight
• Full Dot Matrix LCD
• 30M Water Resistance
• Rechargeable Battery
• MSRP: $199.99.
Using new accelerometer technology, the Suunto Quest can calculate cadence wirelessly, bringing runners an added physiological tool to help run consistently at a higher cadence. Calculating cadence is an industry hot topic right now in deciphering —the difference between “jogging” and “running.” The lower turnover rate (cadence) can translate into over-striding, which has been shown to result in slower speed, jarring impact, bad posture, exposure to injury and other problems. Running at a higher cadence means you are taking smaller steps during given time, minimizing ground contact and lessening the risk of injuring while increasing pace.
• Package includes: Dual Comfort Belt
o Movestick Mini--personalize, download and create
o Foot POD Mini--to accurately track speed/distance
• User-friendly three button interface
• Customized watch display through Movescount.com including: HR limits, activity, speed limits, data to record, summary views and number of training displays
• Prompts of next workout intensity, duration
• Post-workout recovery time suggestion
• Advanced performance analysis of workout including; full heart-rate, speed and distance graphs in Movescount.com
• POD calibration
• Water resistant: 30 meters
• MSRP: $329
Smart Marathon Training: Run Your Best Without Running Yourself Ragged by Jeff Horowitz
This book, Smart Marathon Training, maps out a healthier, more economical approach to training that emphasizes quality over quantity. This innovative program eliminates junk miles, paring down training to three essential runs per week and adding a dynamic strength and cross-training program to build overall fitness. Runners will train for their best performance in less time and avoid the injuries, overtraining, and burnout that come from running too much. Preview the book at velopress.com/smart.
• MSRP: $18.95
GU Peppermint Stick
Serving up GU’s optimal mix of complex and simple carbohydrates, branched amino acids and antioxidants that are essential for sustained energy and enhanced recovery, caffeine-free Peppermint Stick GU offers a crisp zing of minty-fresh fuel and will be available for a limited time in an 8 pack- MSRP $10.80. To find out more head over to their site. https://guenergy.com/store/energy-gels/the-original/peppermint-stick.html
Hyland’s BioPlasma Sport
Hyland's Bioplasma Sport with Electrolytes is a sports recovery product in an "on-the-go" dosage form. The powder is developed to dissolve instantly on the tongue and enable more rapid absorption. Pouches are light weight, moisture resistant and allow for greater mobility. Easy to slip in the gym bag or put in your pocket when you head out for your workout.
• MSRP: $12.00 for a 12 pack