There is still a month of spring left and running outside is getting a lot more enjoyable. If you are new to the sport of running or planning for your tenth 10K, this guide has something for you. We found 5 new pairs of shoes and some great new pieces of clothing that will get you off the couch and on the road or trail. So find some new gear, make a resolution to use it, and then sign yourself up for a race. Enjoy the run!
New Balance 890v3
Spring 2013 New Balance will continue its ultra lightweight neutral cushioning series with the New Balance 890v3, which promises the same bouncy, resilient, and durable REVlite foam and a super soft and supple upper. This third generation of the 890 series delivers a surprisingly light experience once again, in a fresh yet very familiar new update. Similar to its predecessor, the 890v2, the new 890v3 will continue to have an 8mm offset from heel to forefoot, encouraging runners to strike more midfoot. This update will have slightly more forefoot outsole to withstand extra pounding and everyday mileage. Added blown rubber and increased outsole thickness to the medial side of the forefoot ensures a comfortable fit and touch down at the athlete’s first met-head and seasmoid.
• 8mm drop
• Blown rubber outsole
• No sew welded seams
• Removable full-length insert of ABZORB® cushioning provides added comfort
• Synthetic/Mesh upper
• MSRP: $109.99
Saucony Men's Kinvara 4
Building on its award winning pedigree, the Kinvara 4 is a perfect synthesis of celebrated design elements from previous versions. The redesigned upper continues to utilize FlexFilm for a lightweight, seamless feel. Kinvara loyalists will love the upgrade from ProGrid to PowerGrid in the heel landing zone for even smoother transitions and an improved overall ride.
• Heel cushioning technology upgraded from ProGrid to PowerGrid
• Redesigned upper features FlexFilm for lightweight, seamless feel
• Offset: 4mm
• Heel: 22mm
• Forefoot: 18mm
• Internal bootie construction
• Memory foam heel pods
• HydraMAX collar lining
• PowerGrid (heel insert)
• High-abrasion EVA (EVA+)
• Triangular lug design
• MSRP: $100.00
Salomon Sense Mantra
The Sense Manta is a shoe for runners looking to make the transition to forefoot running. This light-weight training shoe is made for mid-foot strikers who want a natural motion shoe as well as protection and neutral cushioning. This shoe is made in response to Salomon team runners looking for a high-mileage shoe to assist with making the forefoot transition. With EndoFit™ construction the shoe can also be worn without socks making the runner’s contact with the trail even more direct.
• Weight 238 G/8.4oz (Size US &), 260 g/9.2 oz (Size US 9)
• Second Skin Seamless Construction
• Breathable open mesh
• Seamless Sensifit™
• Salomon’s Quicklace™ with Lace Garage
• Racing Last
• Midsole height 10 mm/16mm
• 6mm heel drop
• MSRP: $120
Scarpa Spark GTX
Adding Gore-Tex protection to SCARPA’s award - winning trail running platform, the Spark GTX is a light trail shoe (10.4 ounces) embodying the company’s Mountain Minimal concept. That means stripping things down to the basics, yet providing an appropriate level of protection for true mountain running. Along with a low-profile midsole, the Spark GTX employs reduced foam thickness in the tongue and ankle collar, as well as a lightweight high tensile fabric forefoot strike plate. Construction is synthetic leather and polyester mesh for quick drying. Adhering to SCARPA’s Planet Friendly guidelines, construction is 30 to 40 percent recycled-content materials, and the midsoles add EcoPure for quick breakdown under landfill conditions.
• 1.2mm H-EVA forefoot strike plate
• Compression molded EVA midsole
• Minimal 6mm midsole drop
• Planet Friendly
• MSRP: $149.00
Inov-8 Trailroc 150
This shoe is for those that are looking for a minimalist shoe for the trail. This is the lightest shoe in Inov8’s trail range. Inov8 has dialed in this shoe to truly focus on minimalist performance. No midsole provides a low profile authentic barefoot feel. Three sticky rubber compounds varying in hardness give optimal wear and maximum grip on dry and loose trails.
• Weight: 5.3 oz
• Fit: Anatomic Synthetic
• Upper: Synthetic, TPU
• Lining: Mesh
• Footbed: 3mm
• Sole: TRAILROC™
• Compound: TRI-C™
• Drop: 0mm
• MSRP: $100.00
Columbia Freeze Degree Short Sleeve Crew
This shirt will help you stay cooler even when you start pushing harder. The Omni-Freeze ZERO blue rings capitalize on your sweat to lower the overall temperature of the material, accelerate the wicking process and provide an instant and prolonged cooling. Featuring zonal placement of our most innovative technologies for maximum benefit — sweat-activated cooling Omni-Freeze® ZERO on arms and torso, accelerated wicking Omni-Wick® EVAP at center back, and all-over UPF 50 — this performance outdoor tee delivers supreme comfort and protection in extremely hot, humid climates.
• Omni-Freeze ZERO fabrication lowers the material’s temperature
• Omni-Wick EVAP technology inserts at high sweat zones under arms and at center back provide industry-leading breathability and moisture transmission
• Omni-Shade UPF 50 provides premium protection from the sun
• 4-way comfort stretch
• Ergonomic seaming
• Omni-Shade, Omni-Freeze ZERO inserts at arms and torso: 92% polyester/8% elastane ZERO jersey
• Omni-Wick EVAP inserts underarms and center back: 92% polyester/8% elastane EVAP jersey
• MSRP: $60.00
Puma Men's Bolt Core T45 Tee
The Puma Bolt Core T45 Tee is inspired by Olympic gold medalist and world record sprinter Usain Bolt. This tee features Celliant’s patented mineral fiber technology. Celliant technology is designed to help athletes with endurance and to maximize their workouts. Created from natural minerals embedded into polyester fibers, Celliant’s proprietary blend of 13 ingredients converts the body’s vibrant energy (heat) into far infrared light (FIR), which is then easily reabsorbed into the tissue and muscle. Celliant is not a coating or spray and it does not wash off or wear out. It works for and lasts for the lifetime of the product.
• 100% polyester; wicking finish
• CoolCELL: highly functional materials draw sweat away form your skin with anatomically place air-flow features
• Reflective Puma Cat logo on upper left chest and Usain Bolt logo on left sleeve
• Other reflective items for enhanced visibility in low light conditions
• Mesh inserts for improved air circulation at critical heat zones
• Celliant technology recycles the body's energy and enhances power/performance
• MSTP: $39.99
Pearl Izumi Ultra Inside-Out Singlet
Designed for maximum comfort, breathability and zero distractions, the Ultra Inside-Out Singlet is perfect for hot summer runs. Inside out seams provide a soft, supple, and chafe-free interior. Direct-Vent panels and Transfer Dry fabric powered by S.Cafe technology provides incredible moisture transfer, dry time and odor absorption.
• Transfer Dry fabric powered by S.Café® provides optimal moisture transfer, dry time and odor absorption
• Direct Vent panels with Transfer Dry fabric powered by S.Café® provides optimal moisture transfer, dry time and odor absorption
• Inside out seam construction provides optimal chafe-free comfort
• Abrasion print on shoulders for exceptional pack traction
• MSRP $50
Patagonia Houdini Pant
The Houdini Pant could become an essential to every trail runner’s kit, these go-to trail-running pants are made of a lightweight, weather-resistant nylon that’s easy on/off, comfortable and stuffs into its own stuff-sack. Weighing in at a scant 3.1 ounces, these windbreaker pants block wind, and their deceptively strong 100% nylon ripstop fabric has a Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish that sheds light rain. Snap closures on the lower cuffs allow for easy on/off over shoes, and reflective logos sit above the left knee and on the rear pocket. When the storm passes you can stuff the Houdini back into its zippered rear pocket (with a reinforced carabiner clip loop).
• Made of highly breathable and strong nylon ripstop with a Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish
• Zippered rear pocket converts to stuff sack with a reinforced carabiner clip loop
• Snap closure on lower cuff allows for easy on/off over shoes and quick adjustment
• Reflective logo above left knee and on the rear pocket
• 1.2-oz 10-denier 100% nylon ripstop with a Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish
• 87 g (3.1 oz)
• MSRP: $79.00
Outdoor Research Throttle Short
A true trail-running short that transitions to other aerobic adventures, the Throttle Short employs nylon/spandex construction for stretch and mobility, mesh panels for breathability in hot conditions, and great durability. Details include an integrated liner, single zippered side pocket and subtle reflective treatment on the sides. All you need, nothing you don’t.
• Reflective Trim
• Mesh Liner Brief
• Elastic Waist with Drawcord
• Zippered Thigh Pocket
• MSRP: $59.00
Brooks Essential Hoodie
Some morning runs in the spring need just a little more protection and warmth. The Essential Hoodie is the perfect fix for those cool mornings. Get quick head and hand protection with the Essential Hoodie’s hood and kangaroo pocket. Soft and lightweight with rich heathered colors, this top is great for the warm-up or shake-out run.
• Fit: Semi-fitted
• Soft, lightweight, moisture-wicking fabric rated 45+
• Kangaroo pocket with key loop
• MSRP: 70.00
Smartwool PhD Teller Jacket
Head out this spring with the new Teller Jacket, a technical jacket engineered specifically for life on the trail. As avid outdoor enthusiasts, SmartWool designers love to be outside as much as those for whom they design clothes. The Teller Jackets exhibits designs maximizing Merino benefits for breathability, moisture manage, odor resistance while adding synthetics to improve dry time, stretch and shape retention.
• Semi-Form Fit
• Merino Max jersey knit with front and back nylon overlay for wind & weather resistance
• Full center front zip with semi-locking zipper
• Secure zip chest pocket for storage of valuables
• Sculpted side panels eliminate true side seams for reduced chafing and body enhancing fit
• Shell: 100% Nylon/Lining: 75% Merino, 25% Polyester
• MSRP: $160.00
SeasonFive Arm and Leg sleeves
SeasonFive Arm and Leg sleeves provide Atmos 1.0 waterproof, windproof and sunproof protection in addition to warmth and breathability. Ideal for cooler mornings and temperatures, SeasonFive Arm & Leg Sleeves provide the same warmth and protection as a long-sleeve tee or long pants, but can be easily removed in warmer temperatures and on sunnier days.
• MSRP: $50.00
Darn Tough Light Cushion Run/Bike sock
Darn Tough Vermont pushes its knitting machines to the limit with their new Light Cushion Run/Bike socks. The 17.5-micron Merino wool yarns used to knit these socks are half the weight of those used in Darn Tough’s cushion socks, resulting in ultra low-volume, high-density cushioning under foot that’s ideal for form-fitting footwear. The Light Cushion socks come in two height options: ¼ length and no-show with a new articulated cuff. Unconditionally guaranteed for life and made in Vermont.
• Made in Vermont, USA
• Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life!
• True-Seamless™ toe closure
• Highest density knitting in the Industry
• Light-weight Merino wool yarns (17.5 microns)
• Antimicrobial and Moisture-Wicking Merino wool
• Open mesh knitting on top of foot for added breathability
• Flex panels for anatomical fit
• Reinforced, deep heel and toe pockets
• No-Show and Quarter Length heights
• Elastic arch support for snug, non-slipping fit
• MSRP: $14 no-show, $17 ¼ Length
Injinji Performance 2.0 Run
Offering restriction-free movement while eliminating skin-on-skin friction which is one of the primary causes of blisters, this sock is designed to keep your feet protected and dry on any surface at any distance. The 5 toe sleeve design, superior fiber construction and 200 needle thread count make for a silky feel against the skin, as well as a glove like fit to your feet. Available in three different weights depending on how much cushion you prefer, as well as two different styles (mini-crew and no-show) and a bevy of fun colors. Fabric technologies include COOLMAX XtraLife which offers superior moisture management and comfort, keeping feet cool and dry on any hot summer run.
• Mesh top for maximum breathability
• Arch support for secure and stable fit
• Superior fiber construction wicks sweat to keep feet dry and comfortable
• Enhanced cuff holds sock comfortably in place
• Anatomical right and left foot design enhances fit
• 5 Toe Fit System™ Technology
• MSRP $12.00
GU Energy Lemon Chomps
Consumed before, during or after an activity, GU Lemon Chomps offer an optimized blend of carbohydrates, amino acids, electrolytes and antioxidants - complete with a full serving of Vitamin C & E. The new lemon flavor offers a tart and light taste for people looking for a touch of sweetness when refueling.
• Amino acids for added focus, rippin' energy and speedy recovery.
• Vitamin C + E, those mighty antioxidants that combat tissue breakdown.
• Sodium and potassium to restore electrolyte balance.
• Exclusive blend of complex and simple carbohydrates.
• MSRP Single Packet serving $2.20