For me fall is some of the best weather to get out and run in. The temperatures are cooler and it is easy to add a layer if it gets too cold. But the biggest problem with fall running is shorter days and the unpredictable weather. Finding the right gear is essential to keep you both safe and comfortable while training this fall. We have found many products that have 360 degree visibility to make you stand out when running in low-light situations.
Saucony Kinvara 4 ViZiGLO
Fall running usually means running in low-light conditions. The Kinvara 4 ViZiGLO provides 360 degrees of eye-popping reflectivity for better visibility when running in these low-light conditions. Building on its award winning pedigree, the Kinvara 4 ViZiGLO is a perfect synthesis of celebrated design elements from previous versions. Kinvara loyalists will love the upgrade from ProGrid to PowerGrid in the heel landing zone for even smoother transitions and an improved overall ride, in addition to the redesigned upper continuing to utilize FlexFilm for a lightweight, natural feel in the forefoot and toebox areas
• Weight: 7.7 oz.
• Reflective materials provide 500 cd/luxm2
• Internal Bootie Construction
• Memory Foam Heel Pods
• Strategically placed foam pods along heel pocket provide a snug, comfortable fit
• PowerGrid™ (heel insert)
• Powerfoam material is integrated with GRID technology to create a system that effectively centers the foot, absorbs impact and distributes pressure, resulting in an exceptionally smooth and responsive ride
• High Abrasion EVA foam that is a lighter alternative to rubber in the midsole and outsole construction
• Premium carbon rubber outsole material that offers exceptional traction and high-wear properties
• Triangular Lug Design
• Provides traction and durability
• MSRP: $110.00
New Balance Minimus 10 Trail GTX Shoes
New Balance and Gore have collaborated before and this fall New Balance will offer the Minimus 10 Trail featuring GORE-TEX® product technology to provide complete waterproofness protection and breathability. The New Balance Minimus 10 Trail GTX designed with Minimus DNA with barefoot-friendly interiors, an anatomically correct NL-1 natural last with its signature forefoot shape and 4mm off-set from heel to forefoot. The New Balance Minimus 10 Trail GTX is designed to encourage more of a forefoot or mid-foot strike. All three styles incorporate GORE-TEX® Extended Comfort technology, which means every component of the shoe and how it’s constructed is tailored for optimal breathability to ensure the footwear is ideal for highly aerobic activities.
• GORE-TEX waterproof membrane
• 4mm heel-to-toe drop
• EVA midsoles for superb flexibility and featherweight cushioning
• Vibram rubber
• MSRP: $124.95
Pearl Izumi Fly Evo Pullover
Long gone are the days that wearing reflective gear involved looking like a school crossing guard! Instead, the Fly Evo Pullover features reflective external tape providing bright 360 degrees of reflectivity for low-light visibility runs. It also features a lightweight waterproof, windproof fabric with high breathability to keep you dry and comfortable in cold, windy and wet conditions. The ideal piece for looking fly and staying safe on winter runs.
• P.R.O. Softshell Lite fabric features a breathable, waterproof and windproof laminate
• Direct–Vent back provides superior ventilation
• Stitch–Free welded seams
• 14” zipper for venting
• Internal fist mitt seals in warmth
• One back and one arm welded zippered pocket with headphone cord hole
• Reflective external tape provides bright 360 degrees of reflectivity for low–light visibility
• Recommended for temperatures between 28˚F and 48˚F
• MSRP: $165.00
Salomon Trail Runner Warm LS ZP Tee M
Fall can throw you some unpredictable weather and having a shirt that can handle the unexpected is a must. The Trail Runner Warm LS Zip Tee is between a long sleeve tee and a true midlayer. Comfy and warm enough to cut early morning chill, but breathable enough to stay comfy as you warm up. A chest zip pocket provides storage for essentials while thumbholes keep the sleeves down.
• Hand Warmers
• Reflective Branding front and back
• 1/2 zip with stay down puller
• 1 Chest pocket
• Actitherm French terry
• Active fit
• Weight: 300g|10.58oz
• MSRP: $85.00
Opedix KNEE-Tec Tights
Opedix KNEE-Tec Tights are designed to stabilize the body while promoting movement. By properly supporting the motion of the joints, function is improved while preserving the health of our moving body. Think kinesio tape integrated into a garment that improves joint alignment and muscle function. These tights slow the onset of muscle fatigue, minimize stress on joints and comfortably guide natural athletic movement. They are perfect for running (trail and road), hiking, biking, ski conditioning and winter sports. KNEE-Tec Tights have scientifically designed tensioning systems built within a comfortable, form-fitting base layer to enhance the kinetic functioning of your body. Working like an external muscle, a combination of fabric tensions help direct the body’s internal forces and optimize harmonious joint function in the body’s kinetic chain.
• 19-panel construction
• 90% nylon, 10% spandex
• Gusseted crotch
• Zippered back pocket
• Durable stretch draw-cord at the waist
• Moisture wicking to pull sweat away from the skin’s surface
• Breathable fabric to help regulate temperature to burn less energy
• Anti-odor fiber technology to reduce odor and preserve freshness
• MSRP: $225.00
Outdoor Research Centrifuge Beanie
The Centrifuge Hat combines wind-and weather-resistant softshell fabric with highly air-permeable and wicking Radiant LT Fleece. The result is a hat that protects from inclement weather while remaining extremely breathable.
• Wind Resistant
• Fits Under a Helmet
• Flat-Seam Construction
• Fabric 100% woven polyester 2L, 30D Crown and Earband // Radiant LT Fleece™, 95% polyester, 5% spandex panels
• MSRP: $24
The ISW offers the comfort and technology of a technical sock, while providing the stabilizing features of Isolwool. Constructed with merino wool, the ISW is unmatched in temperature regulation and moisture control. The ISW naturally fights bacteria allowing the sock to remain clean and fresh. A light cushion prevents blistering and enables prolonged performance. The ISW is available in Quarter length.
• MSRP: 3-pack $26.00
Magellan Echo Running Watch
The Echo is Magellan’s first running watch that utilizes smartphone fitness apps to their full potential by wirelessly connecting them to your wrist. With real-time fitness data streamed directly from your smartphone to the watch display and the ability to remotely control connected apps, Echo keeps you informed and in control during any run. Using Bluetooth Smart* to wirelessly connect with a smartphone, Echo shows users the elapsed time, distance and other fitness metrics at a glance. Echo gives users control over a variety of smartphone functions including start, stop or lap on your fitness app, and next song, play and pause on your music playlist.
• Real time fitness data stream
• App Messages and Alerts
• Smartphone Compatibility
• Compatible with iPhone 4S, 5, 5C and 5S. Android Smartphone support coming soon.
• Wireless Communication
• Battery - Using ultra low-power components, Echo uses a replaceable coin cell battery
• Display - 1" (2.54 cm) high resolution display allows for superior readability in varying light conditions -- especially bright light.
• Invertible Screens
• Remote Controls
• Tap Screen
• Water-Resistance to 30 meters
• MSRP: $149.99-$199.99
Whether gearing up for ski season or a simple morning activity the fall is a perfect time for running - trail running or road. The Julbo Dust is designed specifically for outdoor enthusiasts. A snug fit on the face is ensured with grip nose and grip tech temples. The slim and flexible frame can be slipped comfortably under a hat or helmet. The wide field of vision is combined with excellent venting thanks to the technical size of the suspended lenses. Combine that with the photochromic Zebra lens and you have a pair of sunglasses ready to tackle today, regardless of lighting.
• MSRP: $90-160.00 depending on lens selection.
Ultimate Direction Jurek Grip
Just because the days are getting cooler doesn’t mean you still don’t need water while out for a run. The Jurek Grip is a minimalist approach to carrying water. The strap is totally breathable material, while also being extremely strong, lightweight, and will not absorb moisture. Too much weight in your hand means too much energy is being expended, so Scott recommends carrying only water in your hand, with a new design that is super light, comfortable, and fully adjustable.
• One 20 oz. bottle w/ Kicker Valve included
• Reflective and breathable materials
• Reduces the swing load on your arm
• Adjustable strap fits all sizes
• Weighs only 1/2 oz.!
• Siliconized Bands: Grips the bottle so it doesn't slip.
• MSRP: $19.95
This is not new for 2013 but it is definitely worth mentioning. If you have ever been slowed down because of painful rashes or blisters, you will want to check this product out. To help motivated athletes stay active in nature’s gym even under the worst weather conditions, Bodyglide has created a line of high-quality “friction extinguishing” products that protect sensitive skin areas, including your face, feet, thighs, underarms, and nipples from painful wind burn, rashes and blisters. What’s more, is unlike Vaseline, all Bodyglide balms are made with plant-derived waxes that are long-lasting and still allow the body to perspire, instead of oils and petroleum jelly, which clog pores and tend to be messy or greasy.
• MSRP: $14.99