Spring is a great time to get outside before the weather gets too hot and running is a great activity to prepare yourself for this summer's adventures. Running can be hard on the body but having the right gear will make all the difference. Most of the gear in this guide I have personally tried and love. So find that new pair of shoes or shorts and lace up and kick outside and run.
New Balance 1080v4
This spring I have personally put more miles in these shoes than any other running shoe I own. There are many reasons for this, but the number one reason is that they feel great. An all-new N2 Burst technology is configured specifically for the ideal blend of a cushioned and flexible forefoot. N2 Burst gives the runner incredible feedback and response with each toe off to create a unique experience unlike any other premium offering in the neutral silo. The 1080v4 features a FantomFit upper to ensure the runner is indulged in a secure, deluxe fit in this premium offering. Intelligent geometries through the Abzorb crash pad and ActevaLite midsole ensure from heel to toe that design and engineering has cushioning and safety in mind. T-beam at midstance continues to aid in torsional stability, while N2 in the heel aids in shock absorption at impact with N2 Burst in the forefoot to generate a cushioned and responsive toe off experience. For the high mileage neutral runners looking for luxurious cushioning, the New Balance 1080v4 continues to showcase visions of innovation and design with performance as first class.
• 8mm drop: due to variances created during the development and manufacturing processes, all references to 8mm drop are approximate
• ABZORB® Crash Pad allows enhanced motion control and stability within the heel
• Blown rubber outsole
• N2 Burst® creates a fantastic forefoot response, not only in cushioning, but balanced with the ideal amount of flexibility to keep you moving forward
• No-sew material application
• Synthetic/Mesh upper
• MSRP: $139.95
Zoot’s Ultra Race 4.0
The Ultra Race 4.0 is an advance running shoe built with an amazing glove-like UltraFit™ upper, and secured with the Boa Dynamic Fit System. This shoe is sure to make you stand out on the starting line. With an 8mm offset and Carbon Span+, the Ultra Race 4.0 will have you feeling light and quick!
• BOA closure system to get you out of T2 faster while locking your foot in place
• Men's Running shoe with Z-Bound midsole for the ultimate ride
• Ultra Fit upper provides unmatched comfort
• Weight: 8.4oz/238g
• Midsole Heights: 19mm/11mm
• MSRP: $180.00
North Face Ultra Smooth
The Ultra Smooth is a great shoe to take you from door to trail. Designed to handle pavement to hard-packed trails this shoe could quickly become your go-to shoe. It designed with CRADLE™ technology to encourage a natural, continuous stride across smooth terrain. The Ultra Protection Series provides critical impact and element protection while eliminating excess weight for unrivaled performance on any terrain. Constructed with a Pebax® plate and EVA midsole for a springy feel with cushioned impact protection underfoot.
• Upper: FlashDry™ upper wicks away sweat to keep you dry and reduces risk of blisters
• Lightweight, no-sew upper for superior comfort
• Breathable and protective Ultra Airmesh
• TPU-welded support overlays
• 3M™ reflective tape for visibility
• CRADLE™ technology for proper foot positioning
• Track spike tongue
• 18 mm/10 mm heel/forefoot EVA under foot
• Pebax® plate for superior energy return
• Ground-contact, injection-molded EVA midsole
• Vibram® rubber outsole in high-wear areas
• Designed for runners with a neutral stride
• MSRP: $110.00
Built for runners seeking a more supportive yet minimal shoe for rugged runs in the alpine, the SCARPA Ion combines an air mesh upper with a synthetic leather exoskeleton for superb lateral stability and a protective toe rand – excellent for dealing with rocky trails and talus. Underfoot, a 14mm heel counter and an 8mm forefoot, combined with a 1.2mm high-density EVA trail plate, balances a minimal feel with excellent trail protection. A partial integrated stretch tongue gaiter underneath the lacing/tongue area helps keep trail debris out of the shoe, and a heel rand helps offer a responsive, performance fit. On the sole, a sticky rubber compound aids traction in alpine terrain.
• 6mm midsole drop
• Compression molded EVA
• HDR Rubber
• Planet Friendly®
• MSRP: $119.00
VIVOBAREFOOT Trail Freak
VIVOBAREFOOT’s newest member to the Outdoor collection, the TRAIL FREAK has a lightweight natural fit for trail-loving feet. The TRAIL FREAK’s duo 3M mesh and laminated structure gives a comfortable and secure ‘second skin’ fit. Designed around the same sole unit as VIVOBAREFOOT Breatho and Neo, VIVOBAREFOOT made significant enhancements to the upper technology to produce what they think will be their best ever trail running shoe.
• Upper material: 3M Mesh
• V Web Lightweight upper lamination for stitchless lateral support.
• Dri-Lex Performance lining with thick mesh collar: Lightweight, performance lining for moisture wicking and superior comfort and thick mesh collar.
• Sole thickness: 2.5mm sole with 4.5mm lugs
• V Trek: Multi-directional teeth for the steepest, muddiest, wettest terrains. Ultimate off-road traction and sensory feedback (proprioception).
• Lock-Lacing System with toggle: Webbing eyelets make sure the foot is secure in the shoe.
• 100% Vegan
• MSRP: $110.00
Lululemon Surge Short 7" *Luxtreme Liner
Once the weather got warm enough this spring I have transitioned from tights to these shorts. Made with breathable, sweat-wicking Swift Ultra fabric that's woven for strength, these shorts have four-way stretch to match your stride. The boxer-brief liner made of smooth, tight Luxtreme™ fabric feels great and keeps everything in place. The small front pocket is perfect for gels and reflective details help you stay visible in early morning or late evening runs.
• Woven for strength and performance, the breathable Swift Ultra fabric stays out of your way
• Take off your shirt and tuck it in the specially-designed waistband loop
• Built-in liner made of Luxtreme fabric is smooth and sweat-wicking
• Gel pockets in the waistband and a key loop in the side pocket so you can keep your run hands free
• Reflective details to help you stay visible during early morning runs
• Fabric: Swift Ultra, Luxtreme™
• Inseam: 7"
• Liner: Luxtreme™ boxer brief
• MSRP: $74.00
Opedix CORE-Tec Shorts
Opedix CORE-Tec Shorts have scientifically designed tensioning systems within a comfortable, form-fitting base layer to enhance the kinetic functioning of your body. The shorts help support the core, and enhance hip & knee joint function. Utilizing 27-panel construction and a combination of stretch and non-stretch fabrics, the CORE-Tec short mimics the gluteus-medius muscle to align the pelvic region, promoting a neutral pelvis. Ideally suited for training, recovery and participation in physical activities. Expertly crafted in the USA and fashionably designed for a superior fit, CORE-Tec Shorts are the next innovation in OPEDIX Technology.
• 27-panel construction
• Durable stretch draw-cord at the waist
• Silicon elastic binding at the leg-openings to keep the shorts properly anchored
• 4 Way Stretch promotes muscular blood flow for better performance and recovery
• Anti-Odor advanced fiber technology reduces odor and preserves freshness
• Moisture wicking pulls sweat away from the skin's surface
• Breathability helps regulate temperature to burn less energy.
• 90% nylon, 10% spandex
• MSRP: $165.00
Salomon Park 2in1 Short
Longer trail running shorts with supportive inner tight and lightweight outer short, ideal for highly active sports where you want to stay light and dry out in the city or the mountains. Featuring ClimaUV 50+ to provide protection against UVA and UVB and Actilite to wick moisture away from the body. Also 1 zipped pocket with waterproof fabric to protect phone/electronics from sweat.
• Fabrics: CLIMAUV™ 50+, ACTILITE™ micro stretch, ACTILITE™ plain weave
• Body: Inner tight
• Waist adjustment, Drawcord
• 1 zipped pocket with waterproof fabric to protect phone/electronics from sweat
• Reflective branding front & back
• Fit: Active fit
• Bottom: PES 100%, Inner brief: PES 78%, el 22%, Insert: PES 100%
• Inseam: 9inch
• Weight: 200 g | 7.05 oz
• MSRP: $45.00
Columbia Men's Zero Rules Short Sleeve Shirt
A super-cooling tech tee with stretch and sun protection, this soft and lightweight men’s shirt sports Columbia’s industry-leading cooling technology, which reacts with your sweat to lower the material’s temperature and keep you cool during dynamic aerobic activity in the heat.
• Omni-Freeze ZERO™ sweat-activated super cooling
• Omni-Shade™ UPF 30 sun protection
• Modern Classic Fit
• Comfort stretch
• Antimicrobial treatment protects this product from bacterial growth
• Center Back Length: 28 in
• Fabric: 100% polyester ZERO interlock
• MSRP: $39.99
Brooks PureProject Short Sleeve
This short sleeve top is a perfect blend of comfort and performance with style. Constructed out of an incredibly soft, moisture-wicking fabric and featuring style details like a semi-fitted fit, shallow V-neck and slit pocket on the right front hip, this top will keep you comfortable throughout your run while also looking good after. This is an incredible comfortable tee.
• Fit: Semi-fitted
• Incredibly soft, moisture-wicking fabric
• Shallow V-neck
• Seam-free shoulders
• Slit pocket on right front hip
• Overlocked reflective detail built in at waist seam
• Reflective tab on back
• Front/back retroreflectivity
• MSRP: $60.00
Coolibar Short-Sleeve Cool Fitness Shirt
Introducing COOLTECT a proprietary technology to not only keep wearers safe from UV rays, but also incredibly cool and comfortable in even the hottest temperatures. New COOLTECT technology provides a sweat-activated cooling feature to Coolibar’s 3D dri SUNTECT fitness shirts. As the wearer starts to sweat, COOLTECT activates a cooling sensation on the skin feeling cool and comfortable so they can focus on their workout.
• Lightweight, breathable 3D dri SUNTECT® fabric
• Surface grid wicks moisture for quick-dry performance
• Cooltect sweat activated cooling lowers skin temperature
• Quick dry mesh side panel for improved air flow
• Short sleeve, dolman seam
• Flat lock seams
• Slight V-neckline
• Drop tail hem in back
• Reflective logo details
• Rated UPF 50+
• MSRP: $45.00
Zamst HA-1 Run Sock
This has been my go-to sock this spring when my feet felt tired. The HA-1 run with built in a-Fit technology provides anatomically correct support and fit for the left and right foot. The HA-1’s functional support and unique knitting technology stabilizes the heel in a neutral position and lifts up the arch of the foot to prevent it from leaning inward. This will reduce the stress from repetitive impact on the foot to reduce plantar fasciitis. Flyweight fabrication reduces weight, while V-tech technology enhances ventilation for a comfortable fit.
• a-Fit -Anatomically correct support for right or left body part
• Arch Support - Knit construction ensures functional support for plantar fasciitis
• Flyweight Tech - Advanced material fabrication with lightweight construction
• Heel Lock Tech - Ensures proper fit and enhanced heel stabilization
• V-Tech - Ventilated flow through design keeps you cool while in motion
• MSRP: $34.99
Outdoor Technology Bluetooth 4.0 Orcas
Sleek and powerful, the Bluetooth 4.0 Orcas wireless earbuds are sweat proof and water-resistant, offering Hi-Fi aptX audio that's ideal for running. They feature a three-button design for power, volume and song control, built-in mic for hands-free calling, and a rechargeable battery offering approximately 4 hours of music/talk time at max volume and up to 150 hours of standby time.
• Sweat-proof and splash resistant
• Bluetooth 4.0 for easy one touch pairing and automatic reconnect to previously paired devices
• Built In microphone
• 3-button inline controls allow you to adjust volume, change tracks, play/pause and answer calls
• Headset and hands free controls using the A2DP v1.2 and AVRCP v1.4 Bluetooth profiles
• Sound enhancement with apt X and AAC
• Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery
• Micro USB charge port
• Play Time: 6 hours
• Standby Time: 150 hours
• Wireless Range: 32 feet
• MSRP $99.95
Ultimate Direction Fastdraw 20 Extreme
The Ultimate Direction Fastdraw hand-helds are the easiest way to bring water and a few essentials on any run. The Fastdraw features UD’s adjustable Cool Wick Air Mesh strap for a perfect fit, soft feel, excellent breathability, and superior moisture management. Based on the original Fastdraw, the new Fastdraw 20 Extreme gives 20 ounces of insulated fluid capacity and plenty of room for your smart phone and other small items. Whether hot or cold, the insulated bottle feels great.
• Large pockets fits most smart phones with Lifeproof cases
• Cool Wick Air Mesh strap is soft to the touch, breathable and wicks moisture
• Soft and thin chafe-free edge binding
• NeoMesh insulates and is more breathable than Neoprene
• Adjustable hand tension strap
• Weight: 4.5 oz. / 128g
• Capacity: 20 in3 / 0.33 L
• Fluid: 20 oz. / 0.6 L
• MSRP: $29.95
The Run boasts wide, anti-fog lenses, a curved frame and shock resistant nose and temple pieces. With a variety of colors to help you fit in on the streets with black or a bright blue to make you pop on the trail, the Run offers ultimate coverage. Couple that with Julbo's premiere, photochromic Zebra lens and you will have yourself a sunglass that can perform in all conditions.
• RX - The frame can be equipped with corrective solar lenses.
• Supple, sculpted inserts at the stem ends for excellent hold without sticking to hair
• Curved, wrapping temples shaped and cut for better hold with sharp and repeated movements
• Wrap Around Coverage - Curved frame with wide temples to protect against harsh sunlight
• Supple shock-absorbent insert, will remain in position on the nose
• MSRP: $120-160.