Fall is a great time to get out and see the leaves changing colors and to find trails less crowded. But also fall starts to indicate for some of us the end of some trails as the snow starts to creep from the mountain tops towards the valley floors. The products we found in this guide will definitely help you get out and stay warm and safe for the trails ahead of you.
HOKA ONE ONE Mafate Speed
The HOKA ONE ONE Mafate Speed trail shoe is designed for lightweight protection on the trails. A deep active foot frame allows the foot to sink into the shoe, rather than sit on top of the midsole, providing inherent stability. Meanwhile, the Lite Ride EVA midsole, 30% lighter than standard EVA, with high-rebound RMAT outsole provides traction and protection.
• Lightweight No Sew SpeedFrame Construction
• External Monomesh Debris Screen
• Lightweight External TPU Heel Counter
• HOKA Race Lace
• Early Stage Meta-Rocker Geometry
• Lightweight Cushioned CMEVA Top Midsole
• RMAT® Midsole/Outsole
• Sculpted Arch Pod Support
• 4mm Heel to Toe Offset
• Full Ground Contact Design
• Strategic Hi-Abrasion Rubber Zones
• Available in men’s and women’s styles
• MSRP: $170.00
New Balance Fresh Foam 980 Trail
The Fresh Foam 980 Trail has a lightweight, breathable construction paired with a simple, plush upper to keep your feet comfortable and protected. By combining the intelligence and experience of a human designer with cutting edge computer software, New Balance is able to manipulate the midsole on the Fresh Foam 980 Trail to give runners plush cushioning properties and inherent stability in a more minimal package. By applying the same software design process to the outsole, Fresh Foam 980 Trail has an increased lug size and purposeful lug placement for ultimate traction.
• 4 mm drop: due to variances created during the development and manufacturing processes, all references to 4 mm drop are approximate
• Aggressive lugged outsole gives maximum traction for off-road activities
• No-sew material application
• Synthetic/mesh upper
• MSRP: $110.00
Arc’teryx Gaea and Argus Jackets
The women’s Gaea and men’s Argus Jackets for cold weather highlight lightweight, compressible, hydrophobic Polartec Alpha synthetic insulation. Placed at the front and shoulders to offset direct exposure to wind and cold, it provides warmth with minimal bulk. Lumin 100% nylon face fabric sheds wind and light rain, while breathable; moisture wicking Torrent back panel facilitates ventilation and freedom of movement. Both jackets have two easily accessible rear stash pockets for gloves, hat or energy foods. An adjustable drawcord at the hem seals out cold and reflective blades on the back and sleeves improve visibility in low light conditions.
• Weather resistant
• Highly breathable—maintains comfort during aerobic activity
• Lightly insulated
• Great warmth-to-weight ratio
• Trim fit for athletic performance
• Stretchy fabric allows you to move more freely
• Soft, brushed microsuede-lined collar
• Full front zip with wind flap
• Thumb loops on cuffs for total hand protection
• MP3 media pocket inside hand pocket
• Two hand pockets with hidden zippers
• Rear pockets have angled access for ease of use
• Two rear stretchy, stash-and-go pockets
• Reflective blazes on back and sleeves for enhanced visibility in low light
• MSRP: $179.00
GORE Running Wear X-Run Ultra So Light Jacket
This ultra mountain running jacket is for long distance trail runners seeking mountain protection. WINDSTOPPER fabric on the front protects against wind, rain, and cold. One unique feature is the ability to turn down the cuffs and turn them into mittens.
• 2 front zip pockets
• Reflective print on hem
• Highly functional material mix
• Cuffs can be turned down and used as mittens
• Reflective print on hem
• Wear-resistant elastic binding on sleeve hem
• Abrasion resistant elastic binding on hem
• Zip-underflap and zip-port
• 2-way front zip with semi-lock slider
• Close fit collar
• Reflective logo on front and back
• Napoleon pocket with zip
• MSRP: $219.99 -$249.99
SmartWool PhD Run Divide Vest
Offering the breathability, vapor wicking, and climate control inherent to Merino wool, the PhD Run Divide Vest features a windproof front panel, DWR finish, a secure zip chest pocket with internal grommet for media cord routing. The 360-degree reflectivity extends the day for runners in the heart of fall/winter.
• Semi-Form Fit
• Windproof front panel (1CFM rating)
• DWR finish for protection from the elements
• Center front zipper with semi-locking logo slider, full draft flap and chin guard
• Secure zip chest pocket with internal Durwelt® grommet for media cord routing; Additional secure zip back pocket
• 360° reflectivity for visibility
• MSRP: $160.00
Alii Lifestyle Perla Round Neck Long Sleeve Top
Trail running in the fall is all about layering to maintain the perfect body temperature. This easy to wear long sleeve top is perfect for layering. The ruched sleeves give it an air of “athletic” elegance making it a piece you can wear after a workout. The super soft performance fabric makes this the perfectly versatile wardrobe addition.
• A.L.F. (Active Living Fabric) 86% Polyamide/14% Elastane.
• Hi-tech micro elasticized jersey fabric, silky soft and glossy, designed to meet the three needs of fashion-performance-comfort.
• A.L.F. guarantees quick-drying, excellent coverage, breathability and optimal protection against UV rays (UPF 50+).
• MSRP: $80.00
Pearl Izumi Fly Thermal Run Top
Perfectly soft, this top will feel like it disappears on the body. The center front zip is designed to help regulate temperature on longer winter outings, while the higher cut neck offers a dash of style and protection. Available in an array of colors, this top is a staple in any runners apparel quiver as it can be worn for a 5-mile run, a chilly fall hike or for coffee with friends post yoga.
• Thermal Fleece fabric strategically paneled to deliver superior breathability, moisture transfer and warmth
• 10" center front zipper for fast core ventilation
• Reflective logos for low-light visibility
• Internal fist mitts seal in warmth
• 100% polyester
• Available for men and women.
• MSRP: $75.00
Brooks Running Infiniti Capri III
The Infiniti Capri III features moisture-wicking compression fabric that supports your every move on the run. It has a wide, flat waistband with drawstring and flatlock, chave resistant inseams for comfort. And for those that love to run with music or your phone it has an invisible back-zip, moisture-proof media pocket. Best of all, it is available in eye-catching prints and solids so you can look great while out on the trail as well.
• 18" inseam
• Moisture-wicking, stretch fabric with a dull (not shiny) finish
• No outseams; flatlock, chave-resistant inseams
• Wide, flat waistband with drawstring
• Invisible back-zip, moisture-proof media pocket
• Silicone grippers at leg openings
• Front/back retroreflectivity
• MSRP: $68.00
North Face Winter Warm Tights
Early morning trail run can be cold, but these fitted tight keeps you warm and comfortable on the trail. Stretch elastane in fabric promotes unrestricted leg-turnover, with knit panels at sides and behind the knee to increase breathability where you need it most. Zip pocket at center-back accommodates keys, credit cards, or other small items you need on-the-go. Calf zippers at the base of each leg foster easy on/off.
• Warm fitted tight with breathable knit panels at sides and behind the knee
• Calf zips
• Secure back zip pocket
• Available in men’s and women’s styles
• MSRP: $85.00
Ultimate Direction Fastpack 20
Designed to provide all the storage and features you need and nothing more, the Fastpack 20 is a streamlined backpack ideal for minimalist adventures. Featuring twin front-mounted water bottle pockets for easy access, wide shoulder straps for comfort, and adjustment straps for a custom fit. The main compartment forgoes zippers in favor of a roll top closure that ties into compression straps, allowing this bag to easily convert from 20-liters to 15-liters. For extra comfort, the backpanel and shoulder straps are cut from a single piece of material to eliminate contact with stitching. Water-resistant construction and an internal stretch mesh divider keeps gear protected and organized while an external stretch mesh pocket handles extra gear. Trekking pole bungees and ice ace loops are there when you need them.
• Patent-pending Infiknit harness is a continuous, seamless back panel and shoulder strap system to prevent abrasion and discomfort
• Large, main roll-top compartment expands from 15L to 23L
• Rear stretch-mesh pocket with low-profile daisy chain system
• Water bottle compatible front pockets also fold flat to store other items
• Dual adjustable sternum straps and side straps for stability and fit
• Integrated side compression Z-straps for varying load capacities
• Removable foam back panel for comfort
• Available in 2 sizes: S/M: 24" - 40", M/L: 32" - 46"
• Capacity: 15L - 23L / 915 - 1403 cubic inches
• Weight: 1 lb. 3 oz. / 535g
• Dimensions: 20" x 11.75" x 9.5" / 51 cm x 30 cm x 24 cm
• MSRP: $149.00
Orange Mud HydraQuiver Vest Pack 2
Just because the temperature cools doesn’t mean we don’t need to hydrate when running. The HydraQuiver Vest Pack 2 makes keeping hydrated convenient as well as comfortable. The pack comes with 2 expandable chest pockets, and attaches via a chest strap. The new VP2 vest pack utilizes high end customized breathable mesh that transfers heat and moisture away from your body. As with Orange Mud’s other packs, the pack has shoulder pockets quick access to nutrition, phone and other accessory items.
• Food/accessory pockets on the shoulders for quick access
• Front chest pockets for access to nutrition on the fly
• Bottle based hydration for easy fill, easy clean-up
• Medical grade mesh for maximum breathability
• Adjustable bottle capacity from 21 to 26 oz.
• Dual side macro adjust, front micro adjust
• Glove like design for a comfy fit
• Weight 437 grams
• MSRP: $149.95
Suunto Ambit3 Sport
The unique idea behind the first Suunto Ambit GPS watch, first launched in 2012, was to combine advanced functionality for outdoor adventures with advanced functionality for performance training. The new Suunto Ambit3 Sport packs all of the features needed for running and multisport training. The GPS provides accurate pace, route navigation and tracking while the heart rate monitor allows training within an ideal zone. The Ambit3 Sport provides daily activity monitoring for a more complete estimation of total recovery time.
• The GPS watch with advanced run, cycle and swim functions
• Smart mobile connection with iPhone/iPad
• Enrich, relive and share your moves
• Route navigation
• Up to 25 h battery life with GPS
• GPS altitude
• Activity based recovery time
• Speed, pace and distance
• Growing feature set through Suunto Apps
• MSRP: $400.00-$550.00
Brooks Running Essential Beanie
With cooler temperatures the need for head and ear protection increases. The Essential Beanie is made of four-way stretch material for a close fit. It has a reflective Brooks logo for visibility in low light conditions. And the last feature that most girls will like is the hidden ponytail exit.
• One size fits all
• Four-way stretch fabric
• Ponytail exit
• Reflective Brooks logo
• MSRP: $20.00
Falke RU Stabilizer Sock
These have been my go-to trail running sock all summer long. The RU Stabilizer has ankle compression to provide stability and reduce the risk of injury. The two-layer sole construction wicks moisture away from the sole of the foot. Each sock is anatomically fit to provide a perfect fit. FALKE is well known in Europe and has recently begun making their entrance in the US, so be on the lookout for these great socks.
• MSRP $31.95
Black Diamond Ion Headlamp
With fading daylight hours, having a light is a must have on any trail run and the Ion Headlamp is a great choice. It is small and ultralight but packs 80 lumens for great visibility. It runs on AAA batteries and the touch-control housing lets you switch from full power to dimmed, strobe or red night vision lighting at the swipe of a finger.
• One DoublePower LED and SinglePower red LED emit up to 80 lumens
• Protected against splashing or sprayed water from any angle
• Settings include full strength in proximity and distance modes, dimming, strobe, red night vision and lock mode
• MSRP: $24.95
From icy city pavements to winter trails, the newly redesigned FreeSteps6 offers durable, ultra-light traction performance to those looking for a simple anti-slip aid during icy/snowy winter days. Utilizing high-quality stainless steel chains and spikes, the FreeSteps6 gets you outside whether you are hitting the trails or just walking the dog.
• For winter use, the 21 spikes provide grip on a wide range of terrain- from ice to packed snow
• Elastomer harness adapts to all types of footwear
• Easy to slip on and off quickly
• Ultra-light traction for trail runners conscious of carrying extra ounces
• Larger spike plate at the crampon heel provides better traction on downhill slopes
• Reinforced elastomer harness provides tear resistance and maintains pliability to sub-freezing temperatures
• MSRP: $39.99
Dr.Cool Recovery-On-The-Go wraps
The only recovery product to combine ice and compression in one flexible wrap, the Dr. Cool wraps need just twenty minutes in the freezer to reach optimum temperature. Wicking, moisture circulation and regulated evaporation properties reduce the fabric’s surface temperature up to 30 percent. The wraps allow consumers to recover on-the-go and they are available in three sizes for all parts of the body.
• Chemical free cooling material keeps the wrap cold
• Designed to be used on wrist, ankle or head
• Made with an anchor hole to help with easy wrap on ankle and wrist (Not on the Large 6″ Wrap)
• Velcro® on end of wrap to keep it secure
• MSRP: $24.99-$34.99